The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WALL-E

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: WALL-E Reply with quote

Another great Pixar film. Really quite an amazing movie, with a simple, sweet and moving love story at its core.

The wingnuts going batshit over the movie are poor excuses for human beings.

John
tdcheetah

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: WALL-E Reply with quote

jdw wrote:
Another great Pixar film. Really quite an amazing movie, with a simple, sweet and moving love story at its core.

The wingnuts going batshit over the movie are poor excuses for human beings.

Er... um... I wanted to like it, since it's Pixar, but I kinda ran out of the plausibility factor about 10-15 minutes from the end. I didn't hate it, but...

There were several moments earlier where I covered my eyes, wincing, but I swear I really was trying to suspend disbelief and enjoy it (c'mon, I accepted everything in Monsters Inc. -- you just have to start me inside the right framework :P). I wasn't too upset with the final "re-greening of the earth" sequence; I clearly got that the developing visual styles = time-lapse animation, that it would take time, but that the robots could continue to help and shepherd. But that whole "instant return to earth via hyperspace"? Noooo. Even if they spent a lot of time readapting to gravity, most people on the ship would not have been able to stand up on Earth. (They'd have been lucky to have enough muscular strength to crawl, methinks.) Yeah, sometimes I hate knowing some basic biology/science; it ruins a number of stories (Jurassic Park, I'm looking at you here) for me.

I did also feel like I was literally beaten over the head with a "we must save the environment" stick. Yeah, I'm sure I don't do enough in that arena [and I am pondering what more I can do, I didn't need this movie just to remind me of that] but simple trash may be the least of our worries in that area. (Nor did I find the trash buildup especially horrifying. In fact, I would have to say that the animation style does the topic a big disservice here by making the trash look almost as cute as everything else.) If anything, the theme I perceived throughout made me pretty uncomfortable, because the *overt* message was that no matter how far we trash our planet, it can start to come back on its own given enough time. "It doesn't really matter how much we pollute, etc., if we just go away for long enough everything will start over." Is that really the message that people need to hear at this point?

As for the love story, well, I've been told I'm not romantic, maybe this proves it. I felt like Wall-E just "fell in love" with the first "animate" being he saw after a long period of isolation. More relief of loneliness than love. What was it about Eva that he admired at first, exactly? Her shininess? Her ability to shoot things on sight? Her slavishness to her own directive, to the point of shutting everything/everyone else out for a long period of time in order to accomplish it? *sigh* Hey, I'm not aways sure these are even lovable qualities in myself, much less in another person. :/

Now, I don't boggle at robots developing personalities and even good/bad/mixed motivations. If robots are created in human image(s), I'd be surprised if they *don't* eventually go there by accident or design. So I do think they did a great job of telling much of the story with minimal dialogue and terrific animation conveying expressions and emotions, and I didn't have a problem with Eva having very rudimentary personality at the beginning and developing/growing as she learns more about other beings.

And I can certainly identify with Wall-E, faithfully following his own directive to clean up one little block of junk at a time while still developing/maintaining a personality alongside of it. So at least that was the *covert* message I took away from the film: every little bit you can do is a building block that helps over time, plus you can both still be yourself and make a difference even if you're the tiniest cog in a big machine.

But... maybe I only got that message because I was looking for it. :l

Lee
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took my wife to see this last week. Its Ok, but nothing special. You kind of have to be in the right mood. Cute robot stuff. **7/8

Rather watch Hellboy again.--Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: