The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2009 Oscar Nominations
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Morris wrote:
What Steve said... and what I've previously said about comic book superhero movies never getting a nomination.

I honestly don't know which ones in the past warranted nominations? :/

Superman was a well received movie, and a hit that year (though Grease was far bigger). When you look at 70s movies... it's not really the type that would pull a nomination.

Spiderman? It's "blockbuster" spot was eaten up by the Two Towers.

Were either of those as strongly reviewed as TDK where it ended up being so strong on the year end Top 10 lists?

Honestly, I suspect Spiderman would have gotten nominated in the 80s and possibly the 70s. It's a bit darker than Superman was, which was a light, happy movie.

John
CTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Morris wrote:
Even if Dark Knight had not one person say it wasn't a good movie (and a few have), it still would have gotten no major nominations other than Ledger (and that came purely out of sympathy, not because of his performance).

If you really believe this, then we must have watched different movies. I haven't seen or spoken to anyone who wasn't either legitimately unsettled or blown away by his performance. I laughed at his casting when they announced it; I didn't even like him as an actor before I saw the film. But every single moment of the film where he isn't on camera feels the poorer for it. I came out of the theater that morning knowing he'd win -- if anything, I feared he *wouldn't* win because voters would pull some political crap and give it to Josh Brolin (who, admittedly, was excellent in Milk).

This wasn't sympathy. Saying it was is a disservice to the performance he gave. I'm in no way a fan of the Academy Awards - they have a longer history of getting it horribly wrong than getting it right - but they got it right with him.
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand by what I said when Dark Knight can't get at least a nomination for Best Picture or Chris Nolan at least get a nomination for Best Director. I'm not saying they should have won the awards... but nominations, I still believe in that.

Heath Ledger did a great job in his role. I don't deny that for a second and I'm happy he won the Best Supporting Actor award.

But if he hadn't passed away, I doubt he would have been nominated and I stand by that statement. It's not a knock on Ledger... it's just what I've come to expect from the Academy these days.

The Academy doesn't care about superhero movies when it comes to the major awards for the most part, no matter how much rave reviews they get. And I doubt the Academy ever will.
Rian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTC wrote:
Bob Morris wrote:
Even if Dark Knight had not one person say it wasn't a good movie (and a few have), it still would have gotten no major nominations other than Ledger (and that came purely out of sympathy, not because of his performance).

If you really believe this, then we must have watched different movies. I haven't seen or spoken to anyone who wasn't either legitimately unsettled or blown away by his performance. I laughed at his casting when they announced it; I didn't even like him as an actor before I saw the film. But every single moment of the film where he isn't on camera feels the poorer for it. I came out of the theater that morning knowing he'd win -- if anything, I feared he *wouldn't* win because voters would pull some political crap and give it to Josh Brolin (who, admittedly, was excellent in Milk).

This wasn't sympathy. Saying it was is a disservice to the performance he gave. I'm in no way a fan of the Academy Awards - they have a longer history of getting it horribly wrong than getting it right - but they got it right with him.

Count me as #2 then who really wasn't blown away by Heath's performance. Sure he was a good villain but it's not the best supporting actor of the year (haven't seen many of the other movies so can't say who would win it).
CTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Morris wrote:
But if he hadn't passed away, I doubt he would have been nominated and I stand by that statement. It's not a knock on Ledger... it's just what I've come to expect from the Academy these days.

The Academy doesn't care about superhero movies when it comes to the major awards for the most part, no matter how much rave reviews they get. And I doubt the Academy ever will.

Ah, see...your initial remarks could have led 2 places:

1) Academy is bunch of upturned-nose snobs who simply don't want to nominate an excellent performance because it's "comic books" or

2) Ledger really wasn't that good and doesn't belong in that class.

It's good to see we both fall into Category 1; Clarification - your friend and mine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: