The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Superman Ultimate Collector's Edition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidInNYC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Superman Ultimate Collector's Edition Reply with quote

Thankfully, I discovered this, so this cheers me up somewhat over a disappointing Yankee loss.

Superman (1978) - 4 Discs
- 1978 Theatrical & 2000 Expanded Cuts of the Film
- Commentary with producer Pierre Sprengler & Executive Producer Ilya Salkind
- Commentary with Director Richard Donner & Creative Consultant Tom Mankiewicz
- Trailer / TV Spots
- Music Only Audio Tracks
- Three Documentaries: Taking Flight: The Development of Superman, Making Superman: Filming the Legend, & The Magic Behind the Cape
- Restored Scenes
- Screen tests
- Vintage TV Special - The Making of Superman The Movie
- 1951 George Reeve Film 'Superman and the Mole-Men'
- 9 Fleischer Studio Superman Cartoons

Superman II - 2-Disc Set
- Commentary with Executive Producer Ilya Salkind & Producer Pierre Spengler
- Trailer
- Vinatage TV Speicals 'The Making of Superman II' & 'Superman 50th Anniv'
- 'First Flight' Featurette
- 8 additional Fleischer Studio Superman Cartoons

Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut
- Commentary with Director Richard Donner & Consultant Tom Mankiewicz
- 'Superman II: Resorting The Vision' Featurette
- Additional Scenes

Superman III
- Commentary with Producer Ilya Salkind and producer Pierre Spengler
- Vintage TV Special - The Making of Superman III
- Additional Scenes
- Trailer

Superman IV
- Commentary with screenwriter Mark Rosenthal
- Additional Scenes
- Trailer

Superman Returns (2006) - 2 Disc
- Deleted Scenes
- 3 Hours of Documentaries including: 'Making SUperman Returns: From script to Screen,' 'Designing Superman,' 'The Joy of Lex: Behind the Scenes with Kevin Spacey,' & "How Filmmakers Recreated Jor-El'
- Trailer

Additional Discs
- 'You Will Believe: The Cinematic Saga of Superman'
- 'Look up in the Sky! The Amazing Story of Superman'
- Bryan Singer's Video Journal for 'Superman Returns'

Additional Goodies
- Reproduction of Superman Comic # 7
- Superman Overview booklet
- Mail-in offer for 5 Superman Movie Posters

I love that they are including the George Reeves' movie, as well as the complete Fleischer cartoons. I'm curious as to why they wouldn't include a reprint of the first Donner/Johns/Kubert Superman comic and I could live without IV (Superman III does have it's charms, though it's a very flawed movie). I'm very interested in the Donner version of Superman II.

The Ken Burns' "Look up in the Sky!" was well done, though it misses the point of the character's appeal and doesn't do enough to explain why A) the character became The American Icon and B) why such an American Icon became so popular all over the world.

And, one of the funniest shows I've ever seen is included in this set. "Superman's 50th Anniversary." It caused a lot of uproar because it focused the vastly superior Pre-Crisis Superman.

For those not comic fans, DC Comics had John Byrne and Marv Wolfman update Superman. In which Dick Giordano okayed the destruction of some key moments in the Superman mythos (Krypton became a cold and sterile planet, Kal-El was sent as a fetus and was actually born on Earth, Superman didn't feel like he was an alien, Clark Kent was no longer a nerd, etc. Basically all the things that made the character appealing in the first place. Like all those other retarded reboots, sales went up initially and ultimately the sales of the titles fell below what the book was doing previously. It wasn't until "Silver Age" things were put back that the books' sales went up. The Silver Age Supergirl, Green Lantern, and Wonder Woman's return increased this trend. This was something that first started with DC and ultimately Marvel. The appeal of Batman: Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen, Daredevil: Born Again, and Spider-Man: Kraven's Last Hunt was that it put superheroes in a situation that had never been seen before. Revamping, rebooting, and remaking characters ultimately alienated longtime fans and they've never come back. Worse, it made it impossible for younger fans to jump on board.

Alright, I'm ranting. This set looks really sweet. For those not interested in Superman Returns, they are releasing a Christopher Reeves set (which will include the Fleischer Cartoons and the George Reeves set). I loved "Superman Returns" so this will definately be added to my collection.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: