The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2009 Winter Box Office Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Mojo:

Brandon Gray:

He's expecting the domestic record to fall in two weeks, and the $2B worldwide mark to fall by this weekend.

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon Gray: ĎAvatarí Claims Highest Gross of All Time

Quote:
Avatar has sailed past Titanic to become the highest-grossing movie of all time. In just 47 days, Avatar has grossed $601.1 million, while Titanic made $600.8 million in its entire run and took 252 days to cross the $600 million mark.

With this milestone, Avatar has completed the triple crown of box office gross records: first, it topped the foreign-only chart on Jan. 23, then it reigned over the worldwide chart (foreign plus domestic) on Jan. 25, and now, as of Feb. 2, it resides atop the domestic chart. Its foreign haul has risen to $1.474 billion. Add in domestic, and its worldwide gross stands at an incredible $2.075 billion.

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$2.7M and $2.69M on Mon and Tue. It's down just 16% or so from last week's Mon-Tue. Who really knows how high this thing is going to to. TDK has close to $30M in the tank left at this point, but was down to $619K on the comperable Tuesday. I wonder at what point it starts looking like $700M for Avatar. I suspect they've got a campaign ready to roll relating to "biggest movie of all-time" and the Oscar nominations coming in the same week.

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:
I wonder at what point it starts looking like $700M for Avatar. I suspect they've got a campaign ready to roll relating to "biggest movie of all-time" and the Oscar nominations coming in the same week.

I zoned out on this:

$691,701,910 Domestic to date

$1,202,184 Wed

This thing still pulled in $16M this past weekend, though that was with a -31.2% drop... it's worst to date.

Obviously it's getting to $700M. It's closing in on $2.5T worldwide.

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$700M on Saturday. Right around $14M for the weekend, which is nuts.

It's weekends did finally fall behind Titanic on the 8th weekend. This was the 11th. Of course by the 8th weekend it didn't matter anymore what Titanic's legs were: Avatar was too far ahead of the pace.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: