The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NBC, the pernament 4th Place network.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how Conan is going to get squeezed on guests, though. Not that "stars" from NBC programing are all that critical right now.

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Law & Order' cancelled by NBC after 20 seasons: The culprit behind NY show's demise? Low ratings

I'd read about the rocky renewal issues with the show. Still, I am quite surprised that they didn't work out a deal to bring it back, even as a mid-season replacement for a "half season" simply to break Gunsmoke's record. Find ways to cut the budgets, since lord knows it's already been cut back here and there. There is always a need for mid-season replacements as things fails. Order 12 episodes to run in the second half of the season with two of them being a big Series Finale in Sweeps. That allows the cast to get other work from here to the time they star shooting. And for NBC to pimp the shit out of the Final Season, and figure out ways to bring some closure even though it wasn't really a show where continuing stories were critical.

John
corrado

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A shame that one of the longest-running franchises in TV history wont get a proper goodbye (I guess they refer to drama when they talk about breaking Gunsmoke's record because the Simpsons is now the longest running entertainment show). That's NBC for you. TNT was thought to be interested but I guess that wont happen.

I guess the creation of yet another L+O show was the tip of the iceburg.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised that they didn't move over into one of the cable networks, again even for just a 12 episode run which is standard for most cable dramas. I know the cost is rather high, and you don't want to make a network transition with 100% new cast... even for the revolving door that has been Law & Order. So it doesn't make sense to move to TNT without some of the anchors like Sam, who probably pulls down the big bucks.

With Leno's 10 PM slot gone, and a highly likely Failure Rate among a lot of what NBC is rolling out on their 2010/2011 schedule, you'd think a very simple Mid-Season Replacement gig would work for them. It would be there for Feb and May Sweeps with a good Final Season angle, and perhaps give Law & Order Creative a little freedom to bring some closure to different characters and the show. They probably could even book some former cast members (i.e. those who didn't leave on bad notes) as guests which could fill up a number of those shows. Logan or Green in a two hour Finale would have been nice. Logan only would have connections to Van Buren (two seasons + Exile movie) and McCoy (one season + Exile movie), but it would make for a nice close. Perhaps Green earlier in the season for another two-parter. Right there you take care of 4 of the 12 episodes.

When you know that you're going off and you've got 12 to wrap it, I would think it would be pretty easy for Creative to come up with something.

John
corrado

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More NBC wackiness:

http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/05/nbc-fall-schedule-2010-11.html

http://www.deadline.com/2010/05/nbc-bans-hollywood-trade-after-reporter-sneaks-into-upfront-rehearsal-and-reveals-all/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

They cant seem to do anything right these days. Programming being the least of their problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: