The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recent indy cards attended?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin Tyler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little update on my local indy promotion. We ran our 5th year anniversary on September 5 and put on an excellent show. Unfortunately, we drew below expectations considering the amount of advertising put into the show and the appearance of Bushwacker Luke.

However, our production team is fully back together and the online content has increased in frequency as well as quality. Here's some recent videos about the current happenings in IHW.

Anniversary Show recap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kms7Syu-8Hc
iTitle ladder match in full: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHHMDmKleOs
The end of the anniversary show:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWogHxQOUbc
Hardcore Halloween promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tevdXDZwAk
Hybrid Online: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujeiq1ng3jk
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! :)

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, Yohe... no complaining this time:

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Presents
The Curse of Guerrilla Island
Saturday, October 9, 2010 - 8:00PM Bell Time - Reseda, CA

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Championship Title Match
Claudio Castagnoli vs. Brandon Gatson vs. Chris Hero vs. Joey Ryan

Tag Team Match
The Briscoe Brothers (Jay & Mark Briscoe) vs. The Cutler Brothers (Brandon & Dustin Cutler)

Singles Match
El Generico vs. Ricochet

Rest of the card is a bit weak at the moment, but likely to round out with some more stuff.

Hoback and I are going, probably with a little King of Chicken before it. You in, Yohe?

Online tickets are available through October 5, 2010. I'm looking to order this weekend.

John
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm off & lets go.---Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to Steve and James booing poor Joey Ryan out of the building. :)

John
jkc31

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im in as are two of my friends at church, and yes I am Currently booing Joey Ryan who if he wins the PWG Title well we riot.

James, master of the Meltzer run on sentence
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I should pick up 5 tickets? Should we all hook up at your place before the show?

John
jkc31

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes do we have a PWG pre game KOC?
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm up for some KOC. We'll have to mix in some Hogan if Hoback Jr. is there. :)
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:
Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Presents
The Curse of Guerrilla Island
Saturday, October 9, 2010 - 8:00PM Bell Time - Reseda, CA

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Championship Title Match
Claudio Castagnoli vs. Brandon Gatson vs. Chris Hero vs. Joey Ryan

Good booking decision to put Claudio over. Fans enjoyed it. Not as long of a match as I'd expect, and I'm not a fan of "one fall" four-ways rather than elimination ones. Somewhere between 10-15 minutes long, all-action but not really an effort to put on a high end indy match. For the most part the finish/winner was going to carry it for the crowd.

Quote:
Tag Team Match
The Briscoe Brothers (Jay & Mark Briscoe) vs. The Cutler Brothers (Brandon & Dustin Cutler)

Basically a Bricoes match. Spot-o-rama. Acceptable for what it was if you go in for it.

Quote:
Singles Match
El Generico vs. Ricochet

The phrase "Jumbo-Misawa" was being used here. Not *that* great, but a similar concept of the big star (Generico is the most over "home" guy in PWG) working a match to put over the younger super over guy getting a new push. The phrase was getting tossed around *before* Generico put him over.

I'm not sure if it was a better match than Hero-Tozawa from Battle of LA. It wasn't as spotterific as Hero-Tozawa was. From a big picture storyline standpoint, it was much better. Generico played his role just about to perfection, working slow burn early before getting annoyed at the frisky kid pushing him more than "expected", going through a bit of a pissed off section, before work the stretch to the finish playing "surprised" that the kid was kicking out of shit that should have put him down. Ricochet did his stuff well, and is quite an engaging wrestler. But it's a vet that makes matches like this really click, and Generico was very impressive in know exactly how to work this. It's been said a ton of times over the years that this is the type of match that the Big Leagues rarely know how to bring off, or if you think for the moment that they've done it, they quickly bigfoot it.

Smaller crowd coming off the Battle of LA. The building was reported as packed & turnaway for the card right before BOLA, which we missed. The show before that was pretty close to packed. BOLA didn't appear to sell out either night, but wasn't terribly far off. This was down quite a bit, also with fewer chairs set out. My guess is that it was in the range of half capacity. Don't know how much of that was due to the finish of BOLA annoying people, and how much of it was due to the card not being very deep.

One of the other interesting things about the show is that it seemed light on people who went to the *second* night of BOLA. Joey Ryan was less hated than you would have thought, with seemingly more than half the crowd for him. That's even after he was willing to play heel in the mic spot to open the card. He was about as over as on the first night of BOLA and on the prior card Hoback and I went to.

In contrast, Hero was by the end of BOLA probably the most over guy on the show. The "story" for the fans was Hero trying to finally win it, and if he won BOLA rather than Ryan, the fans would have left with a good taste in their mouth. Here... you had a crowd that was largely against him, with the standard "Not My Hero" comments/chants.

Hero's a heel a hell of a lot, which is one of the reasons his BOLA work was so refreshing as were the reactions to him there. That was pretty much not the case here. Claudio retained his facedom from BOLA, and seemed to be the one the fans wanted to win the most (good booking). But having enjoyed Hero's work at BOLA, and the fan reaction to it, I was a bit sad to see little traction for it.

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoback:

http://plixi.com/p/49787070

John
eron

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to an independent show in Vaughn, Ontario the other night and in the opener was a monkey versus a robot luchador controlled by an evil scientist.

Most fun I've had at a wrestling show in years.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We might need a youtube link to that. ;)

John
Kevin Tyler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eron wrote:
I went to an independent show in Vaughn, Ontario the other night and in the opener was a monkey versus a robot luchador controlled by an evil scientist.

Most fun I've had at a wrestling show in years.

Was it Shockwave, the wrestling robot?
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next PWG show:

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Presents Cyanide: A Loving Tribute to Poison
Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 8:00PM Bell Time - Reseda, CA

Quote:
Non-Title Tag Team Match
¡Peligro Abejas! (El Generico & Paul London) vs. Kings of Wrestling (Claudio Castagnoli & Chris Hero)

Singles Match
"Mr. Wrestling" Kevin Steen vs. Akira Tozawa

Singles Match
Brandon Gatson vs. Joey Ryan

Tag Team Match
The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson) vs. The Fightin' Taylor Boys (Brian Cage-Taylor & Ryan Taylor)

Singles Match
Roderick Strong vs. "The Kentucky Gentleman" Chuck Taylor

Tag Team Match
The Cutler Brothers (Brandon & Dustin Cutler) vs. RockNES Monsters (Johnny Goodtime & Johnny Yuma)

Singles Match
"Pretty" Peter Avalon vs. Willie Mack

I'm thinking we're going to need to go to that. ¡Peligro Abejas! vs Kings of Wrestling is something we want to see... with Kevin Steen making a return against Tozawa and Roderick Strong returning as well.

Does that work for you, Hoback & Yohe?

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Wrestling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: