The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yohe's Movie Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 82, 83, 84  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like being possitive about the LOR films, because it sets John off, but all the extended versions are much better than the theatrical versions. A ton better. I didn't like the second one until I saw the extended version.--Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which will happen first:

jdw admits LOTR were great movies

Yohe admits Bobby Eaton was one of the greatest workers ever

;)

John
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, that Bobby Eaton was great & such a underrated worker!--Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can hear the sincerity. :)

John
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WALL STREET II is a real movie and I enjoyed all of it. Actually liked it better than the first. Wonder if it is too forgiving & not the film people wanted. The stock market ends up a wonderful place & everyone ends up partying with only the main heel getting punished. It's well made & the acting all works. I think the film should have stayed focused on the ballout. LaBeouf, I don't have great feelings for, but he hangs in there with all the heavyweights, like Douglas. Should get some Oscar nominations with Michael Douglas a lock.***1/2

THE TOWN is also a real movie. Ben Affleck makes good choices as a director and his acting doesn't get in the way. Seems age will help him. Good movie, maybe better than I think. Will see it again. Lots of great shots of the old Boston baseball park as its being robed. ***1/4

RESIDENT EVIL: AFTERLIFE: was what you'll expect. All action with nothing interesting. ** The 3D seems to disappear after 30 minutes. With or without the glasses it looks the same. I think they're going to kill the cashcow by the miss use of 3D.

Got the ROBIN HOOD DVD. They add a few scenes. There's a fight scene after the merry men leave London. More stuff between Robin & Marian. Robin makes the sheriff look bad. They add a lot of stuff with the outlaw kids in the woods. There is one real good scene with Marshall (Hurt) and Van Sydow which I thought was cool. Nothing that really makes the film any better. I think the problem was that it was a Russell Crowe project and he brought friend Ridley Scott in to direct. Scott did his best to fix it up, but it wasn't like his idea. Still liked it ***1/2.

For me, the next big movie that I'm hot over is TRUE GRIT.---Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Social Network Reply with quote

Saw SOCIAL NETWORK last night. John walk across the street and see this. Writer Aaron Sorkin did a great job and the director David Fincher lives up to his reputation. Jesse Eisenberg deserves the Oscar as he plays Mark Zuckerberg as a complete (well maybe not complete) asshole. You know the movie is great from the first scene when Zuckerberg gets dumped on a date. I think the movie has more smart dialogue than any film in history. Very well could be the best film of the year. ****1/3 Go John.--Steve Yohe
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Wall Street II and thought it was decent, but not worth the trip to the movies.

I thought Douglas did a so-so job. The point of Gekko's character is that he's a humbled, changed man. But there were parts where he was supposed to at least show flashes of the old Gekko and he just couldn't pull it off.

The original had so many great parts and points to it. Particularly the phrases and sayings that they used that were clever. They tried that here and they just didn't really hit.

They botched the Bud Fox character development badly. About as bad as it gets. Fox tried to not only save Bluestar from 'getting eaten up by Attilah the Hun', but tried to make it into a dominant airline. Then Gekko tried to sell off the airline to make a tidy profit, Fox found out and turned on Gekko. So in 'Money Never Sleeps' Fox talks about him selling Blue Star? Plus, we're pretty much like our fathers in the end when it comes down to it and Fox is now with 2 models in Money Never Sleeps. His father made it clear he didn't approve of Darien (sp?) in the original and that she was nothing but a whore after his wallet and Bud finally realized that his father was right. But in II he's got 2 models on each arm? Baaaaadly thought out.

The other parts of the original that made it great were it being rather prophetic about the business world and things to come. Investment companies buying other companies just so they could sell them in the furture for a profit and slash jobs without any care for the workers was a sign of things to come. Or how Gekko takes to task the VP's and C-Level execs at Teldar Paper for not having any stock in the company and all having golden parachutes and that's why Teldar was failing....these things are still a major problem today.

Here we didn't have that look into the future, just a look back into the past few years which were painful to begin with and reliving them wasn't any fun either.

And in the end in Money Never Sleeps, everybody wins. In the original, Fox did the right thing and got punished in the end, but could take solace in the fact that his dad's airline was okay and that 'as much as he wanted to be Gordon Gekko, I'll always be Bud Fox.'

Certainly a tough movie to do a sequel on, but they missed on so many points of the original that it makes me wonder if they watched the original or just plain forgot about it.

YR
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:21 am    Post subject: JACKASS Reply with quote

I went to the midnight Thursday first showing of "RED' like I do for most films I want to see and JACKASS was also playing. The JACKASS SHOWING IN 3D had a line going around the building. It was the biggest crowd for a midnight show I had ever seen near wonderful Montebello. It was soldout with people being turned away 30 mins before the show started. It was huge & they all looked like ECW fans. Dumb with black t-shirts & tatoos. Scary looking & smelly. JACKASS must be going to draw 50 million this weekend at least. It is in 3D! Then it will drop off 70% the next week.

I went into RED thinking there was going to be a large crowd & there was 6 people. Guess they were turn aways from JACKASS.

RED was OK, but they should have cut the "things blowing up" concept for plot & pacing for laughs. Liked the actors, but it was just OK. Didn't seem to know what type of movie it wanted to be. **3/4 Could end up being a bomb (blowing up)?

Yohe
eron

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Social Network Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
Saw SOCIAL NETWORK last night. John walk across the street and see this. Writer Aaron Sorkin did a great job and the director David Fincher lives up to his reputation. Jesse Eisenberg deserves the Oscar as he plays Mark Zuckerberg as a complete (well maybe not complete) asshole. You know the movie is great from the first scene when Zuckerberg gets dumped on a date. I think the movie has more smart dialogue than any film in history. Very well could be the best film of the year. ****1/3 Go John.--Steve Yohe

Agreed. It slightly edges out Inception for me.

I just hope people don't watch it believing that was the story of Facebook. It's not even the Mark Zuckerberg story. It's more a modern tale of the most socially inept man creating a social network for society. That these social networks people thrive on are created by the social outcasts.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RogerEbert: Hereafter = ****

Can you hold off on seeing this instantly, Yohe? :)

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday Night At the Movies With Yohe:

Steve liked the Northwoods Porterhouse, including an insane monster bowl of chowder. We were running a bit tight on time, thanks to shitloads of Friday traffic on the 605 and 210. Would have liked a slower, more relaxed dinner so I could stuff my face more: I left two pieces of quality greesy Northwood cheesebread behind that I'd been watching my eating all food all week to be able to overeat on Friday night. :)

Had to hustle the mile-and-a-half drive to the Mall to catch the 5:15 "start time" of The Social Network. I joked that there would be 15 minutes of trailers, and as we rolled into out seats at 5:25 we were 10 minutes into trailers... and there were five more as predicted. Yohe was annoyed that we'd just missed the True Grit trailer. I bagged on him back that he'll see it a dozen times between now and the release date given how many times he goes to the movies... and that we'd see it later tonight before the second movie. :)

Third time Yohe has seen The Social Network, first time for me. He loved it. I thought it was good, and a well made, well written, well acted movie. I wouldn't go so far as to call it "great": there just isn't anything in there that leaps out at me as likely to be draw a pop from me or moving me or making an emotional connection in a year or two (let alone a decade) when I watch it again. Just a professionally made move, interesting story (though I knew it already), solid way to spend two hours.

We watched Hereafter second. Bombed with Yohe. Had the sense it was bombing with him as it was going on as there were more than a few sighs going on from him. :) He can write up his thoughts when he pops up in the thread.

I thought it was a good, but not great movie. More thoughts after Steve tosses up his thoughts.

John
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOVE & OTHER DRUGS turned out to be a super movie. It tops my list as the best film of the year. Can't remember the last time a Hollywood movie had so much sex? I think it's a major film & worthy of the Oscar. Gyllenhaal & Hathaway are great. ****1/2

THE NEXT THREE DAYS wasn't much. They make some medical errors in the storyline & it killed the movie for me. You don't hang a IV of D50 on a person with a blood sugar of 580. You might kill him. ** 1/2

UNSTOPPABLE is a good action film with interesting actors. Never a dull moment. Liked it. ***1/2

I thought Eastwood had something interesting to say about death with HEREAFTER but it had no insight & nothing new to say. Weak. **1/2 When I saw it with John, my point was it was a bomb...and I was right. It's the kind of movie you see & forget.

Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take on Eastwood's movie is that it's less about "death" than about "living". They "hereafter" isn't about the afterlife of the dead, but rather the living.

No, it's not as if he has a lot of entirely new things to say about people coping with death and going on. And it's not like a lot of "stuff" happens in the movie. But going on after a death impacts your life greatly isn't really about "stuff" happening after it. It's about dealing with it, and going on. Or not going on.

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm geeked up about True Grit.

John
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched NO COUNTRY FOR DEAD MEN last night on DVD. I just hope that some of it rubs off on TRUE GRIT. You never can tell what the Coen's are going to do. Wish Tommy Lee Jones was in it. Would be very cool to see the Coens and a western do over 150 mil.---Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Page 5 of 84

Jump to: