The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So...where did everything go wrong?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eron

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos wrote:
kjh wrote:
The Randy Orton babyface turn was always going to stall out of the starting blocks, because they weren't going to push Ted DiBiase and Cody Rhodes at his level.

Not the mention the fact that everything about Orton screams asshole heel. He may be the nicest guy on the planet IRL, but he is never ever going to come across on camera that way. It's the same thing as trying to make Sting a heel. He'll never work as a bad guy. It's not in his nature, just as it wouldn't work for WWE Rey. (of course, if Rey did go nuts and go all La Infestacion on everyone, it might be awesome)

And that's something else that's gone wrong: Booking people in gimmicks that don't suit them. I am really talking about heel vs face here, not general character. Edge is naturally a jerkface, so why book him as a good guy?

Honestly? People like Orton and Edge because they are pricks. When Orton first turned face, they tried to turn him into the nice guy up and comer and the fans shit all over it. His current turn is Austin lite and he does act like an asshole, and people love that Randy Orton. When Edge came back and won the Rumble, they tried to play him like a nice guy. Then they turned him heel again, and then slowly turned him face by still being a prick but being a prick to the heels.

There is no "right way" to be a face or heel anymore, especially with American crowds. Honestly, Hogan always acted heelish to me when watching his 80s stuff but he was supposed to represent America and America in itself never really plays by the rules and barely makes the right decisions, especially internationally. So to me, he was just being a real American and people loved him regardless of eye gouging or cheating. Cena operates right now a similar way. Barrett or Punk might point out a hypocrisy in Cena's character and none of his fans care because Cena represents them. Nothing else matters. So with Orton and Edge, people like prickish Orton and Edge. If they acted any other way, they wouldn't invest the interest in them. I mean, think of the Rock from 1998 to 2001. Rock acted like a Samoan Tully Blanchard and people loved it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Eighties All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: