The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Rock's return to the WWE
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
corrado

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: The Rock's return to the WWE Reply with quote

So last night the annoucement of the guest host at Wrestlemania took place and it actually didnt disappoint. Because it was the Rock. The place went nuts for him and he cut an amazing 20-minute promo. In which he buried Michael Cole, the anyomous RAW GM, and John Cena. he cut a promo that trumps any current WWE superstar by far. And he destroyed Cena in a way that if they ever meet in the ring would make Cena easily the default heel.

Now I dont see the Rock wrestling, but he's probably going to overshadow nearly everything Mania-related this year, including whatever match Cena has. But I really cant see them pulling the trigger on Rock-Cena. Just yet that is. Maybe Summerslam.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I set the DVR for the replay of this on Saturday. :)

John
JAG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I made the right DVR choice last night. :)

That was the best thing they've had on their television since Flair's retirement, which has lost quite a bit of its luster since it happened. The Rock got the biggest pop I've seen since Hogan's first run back with WWE in '02, but this wasn't nostalgia heat, since it looks like he could kick everyone's ass if chose to.

The Rock was fantastic and this leads to the obvious burial of Miz and endorsement of Cena at 'Mania. But Cena is going to come off as a star with far less wattage and that will be a problem. I don't know if he can survive any more verbal thrashings from the Rock, because the criticisms will cut too deep. Cena is a cornball if you're not 14 and under

Still, they now have something huge for 'Mania, so you have to give Vince credit for getting this done.

Jagdip
tdcheetah

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One can only watch so many Dexter episodes in a row [esp when they're as annoying as Season 3 Ep 3, but thankfully it's improved greatly since that conglomeration of clowning] :P, so Jeremy and I have been popping in and out of watching Raw the last few weeks -- partly out of curiosity about the newer stars [aw c'mon, I *like* the Miz... Nexus is a big mess, tho], and also Triple H has been off filming/promoting The Chaperone so it's been safe for Cheetah to come out of the water temporarily. I'm full ready to duck back under as necessary now that it's being released -- and I see apparently Mr. Spooky House UT is on his way back as well. Ah, Last Channel button, you are my friend.

I figured the WM host would be some stupid or safe choice, like Donald Trump or one of Ozzy Osbourne's kids or maybe the Wikileaks guy.

Thank goodness The Great One called Vince McMahon back instead. :)

I do have a dilemma, though: what do I do if/when Trip confronts the Rock? Can I change channels fast enough and with exquisite timing? Or should I record Raw for a week delay and then we can fast-forward through the parts that suck?

Lee
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is Rock wrestling at WM? If not...who cares.--Yohe
DavidInNYC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdcheetah wrote:
One can only watch so many Dexter episodes in a row [esp when they're as annoying as Season 3 Ep 3, but thankfully it's improved greatly since that conglomeration of clowning]
Lee

I hear you on season 3, but Jimmy Smits really picks up towards the end of the season 3. And, season 4 is absolutely amazing (best of the series, IMO). Beware season 5 though.
DavidInNYC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Rock's return to the WWE Reply with quote

corrado wrote:

Now I dont see the Rock wrestling, but he's probably going to overshadow nearly everything Mania-related this year, including whatever match Cena has. But I really cant see them pulling the trigger on Rock-Cena. Just yet that is. Maybe Summerslam.

Yeah, I keep hearing that the Rock won't wrestle, but he certainly looked to be in "wrestling" form on Monday (appearing much bigger then previously).
tdcheetah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidInNYC wrote:
tdcheetah wrote:
One can only watch so many Dexter episodes in a row [esp when they're as annoying as Season 3 Ep 3, but thankfully it's improved greatly since that conglomeration of clowning]
Lee

I hear you on season 3, but Jimmy Smits really picks up towards the end of the season 3. And, season 4 is absolutely amazing (best of the series, IMO). Beware season 5 though.

Oops, I got the wrong season (I must *still* be trying to forget the second season involving Lila): it was Season 4 Ep 3 driving us up the wall. My comment to Jeremy was that it was like a Dexter version of a DC Comics fill-in issue circa 1975. (You know, pictures of a superhero and one-off villain, dialogue borrowed from a cancelled horror title, and nothing connected with any kind of Reality.) I managed to grit my teeth long enough to survive the pool party, the neighborhood watch meeting in Dexter's house, the various "Dexter gets driven (crazy)" cameos of other characters' unbelievable cars and almost-as-unbelievable musical tastes, and all that godawful Batista-LaGuerta batting their eyelashes at each other... only to go ballistic once the garage scene started. "Why are you wearing the same stupid *headlamp* that you got from the freaking Neighborhood Watch, you moron! What if something *happens* to it? Esp since you're not even going to kill the guy!"

Compared to that, even the return of the Undertaker doesn't look so bad. :)

Lee
JAG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meltzer's update today strongly hints at Rock wrestling (which you knew was going to happen):

Quote:
Put it this way. He's not teasing wrestling a match unless he's going to be wrestling a match. The next 11 days are going to be very interesting.

Dave's referencing an AP story in which Rock says he's amenable to wrestling and Cena continues to bait him.

Jagdip
corrado

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight was uh very interesting.

The Rock came back and cut another decent promo. Cena came out to boos. He played kissing up to the Rock but then played the race card, chatising Rock for critizing him for being a rapper etc, and the color of his shirts. Sort of like reverse racism since Cena's the rapper.

Miz came out, like the afterthought he is in this feud. Miz and Rock got at it. Rock takes care of Miz and Cena hits the FU on Rock, to of course boos.

They gave way too much aaway tonight.
Tigerman73

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

corrado wrote:
Tonight was uh very interesting.

The Rock came back and cut another decent promo. Cena came out to boos. He played kissing up to the Rock but then played the race card, chatising Rock for critizing him for being a rapper etc, and the color of his shirts. Sort of like reverse racism since Cena's the rapper.

Miz came out, like the afterthought he is in this feud. Miz and Rock got at it. Rock takes care of Miz and Cena hits the FU on Rock, to of course boos.

They gave way too much aaway tonight.

Miz got buried deep last night.
Fong

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're testing the waters for a Cena heel turn, I would guess. They better make sure they have a super-hot babyface lined up for him to face if they pull the trigger. I don't know how long Rock will actually stick around, and there's nobody that can play Austin to Cena's Bret Hart.

Miz is to this year's WM what Jericho was in 2002 against HHH - fodder. While he and Del Rio have some charisma as heels, they were both painfully rushed into title matches that they aren't ready for. Lack of roster depth on display, yet again.

-HJF
JAG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure Vince isn't happy with Miz as a ratings-sinking champion and I don't mind the burial. He's just not at this level. Silly to pretend.

Vince has turned down Cena heel turns in the past because they lacked another franchise babyface, but maybe they think Orton is ready?

They've clearly got Rock on board for a Cena match, so now it's a matter of getting there. Wonder if its SummerSlam this year or Mania in Miami next year.

I actually really enjoyed the Undertaker-HHH-HBK tri-play last night. 'Taker's promo was especially good.

Jagdip
corrado

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they do plan on having Cena as a heel, and not a temporary heel, there are really no options for him.

1. orton/Cena has been done to death. That would be a waste.

2. Miz doing a doubleturn with Cena wouldnt work as well. Miz was actually warmly received as a guest on Conan last week. he did well, and the crowd didnt boo him for the most part. A few Rocky chants but thats it. No Cena chants at all. But the Miz isnt ready to be a face yet, and even if he is, Im sure he'll be very very corny. But the fans might eat him up.

3. I cant see a feud with Morrison. Whose stock has plummeted as of late. From scene-stealing moments in the Royal rumble, to fodder in the Snooki match, I dont think they'll pull the trigger to make him a super-face. And cutting shitty promos hurts him as well. He has definately had one of the worst declines of wrestlers cutting promos that I can think of. Morrison was great as a heel, and in particular with the Miz as part of the Dirt Sheet. ever since then, he's cut maybe a handful of promos at the most. And they've been forgettable. A shame too, since he has what it takes to be the next Jeff Hardy. And by that, I mean scene-stealer and not as a human being.

4. I also cant see a feud with Danielson. He is probably the best wrestler in the company, but isnt good at promos, and the crowd dies when he comes out, mainly due to that great but out of place music.

So the best options in my book are classified as dream matches because I cant see them pull the trigger on matches and feuds that could do wonders for the company, but because they dont want to invest in these wrestlers, we're probably going to see Cena/HHH or cena/Orton.
corrado

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently he's going to face John Cena at next year's Wrestlemania in Miami. They agreed to the match on last night's RAW.

Now it is nice and all that they're building to a match for an entire year. But I cant see the Rock appearing that much for the rest of the calendar year. Maybe Summerslam. But I dont expect to see him till the Royal Rumble where the Mania buildup begins.

Now of course you know with the WWE plans change a thousand times a week. But its foolish not to rush a match of this caliber at a "B" PPV, or even at Summerslam. This has to be a Mania match.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Wrestling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: