The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Public Enemies"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chadlaca

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: "Public Enemies" Reply with quote

Just got back from a screening of Michael Mann's latest. Liked it a lot. Just an incredibly handsome production for one thing. Production design and cinematography are great (probably locks for Oscar noms). It's absolutely beautiful to look at.

Loads of terrific character parts and a lot of people I haven't seen in ages pop up in small roles. Lili Taylor plays a local sheriff, Stephen Lang is one of Christian Bale's sidekicks, hell, even up-and-coming heartthrob Channing Tatum has a blink and you'll miss it turn as Pretty Boy Floyd.

Oh and in a role which only gives him about two lines of dialogue but plenty of screen time? Don Frye. No kidding. He plays one of a group of three Texas FBI agents that Bale calls up when he needs reinforcements in Chicago.

Can't think of the actor's name off the top of my head, but the guy who plays Jason Statham's sidekick in "Snatch," is a hoot as a gleefully maniacal Babyface Nelson.

As always, Mann handles gunplay better than pretty much anyone. Even "Miami Vice," which I thought was horrible, had some really bracing, visceral action moments. No different here. Lots of fun tommygun shootouts. :)

The love story between Johnny Depp (who's terrific) and Marion Cotillard I could take or leave but it doesn't slow things down that much. If anyone gets an acting nom it'll be Depp. Not because it's an amazingly deep, nuanced performance but because it's a great "star" performance.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't crazy about it. I had the feeling that they were just going by the numbers. The love story didn't work for me. Didn't think the girl added much. Facts weren't right. Babyface Nelson dies in a great shoot out after Dillinger dies. The FBI played too big of a part in the movie. The Warren Oates Dillinger movie was better. Still it's OK. **3/4 Might like it better on the second viewing.

A movie just about the FBI and Hoover would have been a better idea.---Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John gave me this book & I actually read it...so I now think this film is terrible. Don't know know what they were thinking? Why put the name of the book when you have no intention of going by the facts of the story. It defeats the whole idea of the book.

The book, PUBLIC ENEMIES, is the best thing ever written about criminals of the period. ****1/2 The style is what I was attempting in the Lewis paper.

Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: