The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RIP Whitney Houston

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: RIP Whitney Houston Reply with quote

Link to the Yahoo story below:

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/stop-the-presses/pop-vocal-legend-whitney-houston-found-dead-034610653.html

Quote:
Houston's sound made sense when considering her pedigree. She was the perfect melding of the styles of her mother, gospel singer Cissy Houston; cousin, 1960s pop singer Dionne Warwick; and godmother, queen of soul Aretha Franklin.

I don't think anyone would have imagined that Whitney would pass away before any of the other three mentioned.

Billy Johnson Jr. makes a good point in his opening paragraph about how it's easy to make jokes about people like Whitney having issues with drugs, but nobody is laughing when those people die young.

I fear the worst regarding the autopsy. :(

As for her music, I can remember how she was ruled ineligible for Best New Artist in the 1985 Grammys because of a technicality. I remember one music critic declaring that ridiculous and I agree -- Whitney made an immediate impact and was pretty strong on the pop/R&B scene for some time. It's just too bad her life took a turn for the worse.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is one of those where we all were expecting this for years. Her issues earlier in the week, which were pretty widely reported, indicated she was on another bad binge. Sad end.

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early stuff:

No "recreational" drugs found in the room. A variety of perscription drugs, but not really Monster Junkie level. Was some booze.

I'd caution: it's possible that the recreational stuff was cleaned before EMT/Cops got there, as people aren't often smart enough in situations like that to grasp that the Tox will pick up on any shit you flushed down the toilet... so you might as well make things easier on everyone and leave it.

But setting that standard caution aside, it may have a reaction between the variety of things she was taking (including a antibiotic) and the booze and the long hard life. Per TMZ: "ibuprofen (painkiller), Xanax (anti-depressant), Midol (for menstrual cramps), amoxicillin (for treating bacterial infections)". Again, there weren't a ton of pills relative to these things.

Water in the lung. She was found in the tub, head submerged. Reports are the finding is the pills and booze reaction, rather than passing out and drowing since there wasn't enough water in the lung.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: