The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WrestleMania XXIX

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JAG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: WrestleMania XXIX Reply with quote

So I watched this. Average Mania, probably worse in the ring, but the spectacle was pretty fantastic.

Weird show, because they cut everything but the matches and videos. No promos, nothing backstage, not even America the Beautiful. Rock and Cena didn't even get elaborate ring entrances. But Triple H did.

Taker-Punk was the best match. Punk is still too sloppy to be the best in the world, but the old Dead Man carried him.

The Lesnar-HHH had the logical pro wrestling finish. Unless the guy doing the job is someone you just signed the guy to a two-year, $8M extension. Fucking morons.

My soon to be 5-year-old enjoyed Cena and Rock becoming friends, but I doubt anyone outside of his age range did. Rock came off as a punkass bitch and I'm sure that wasn't the intent. And I assume the rubber match is coming, but hopefully in the body of this year and not in New Orleans.

Jagdip
Rian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me guess, Brock vs HHH part III where HBK turns on HHH and Brock wins, but not clean? Glad I skipped on ordering this debacle.

And anyone who didn't realize that they had to get the belt off the Rock is a D'Antoni.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this at Casa del Hoback with the following crowd:

* 2 - hardcores (Hoback & jdw)
* 1 - former 90s APW trainee
* 3 - long time WWF fans starting in the 80s/90s
* 2 - 9th graders who are fans of the current product

So this was very much different from the usually Hoback-Yohe-Williams trio who would watch a bunch of great 70s/80s/90s matches for hours before the PPV, then gripe about why the WWE stuff wasn't as good as the Jumbo-Kerry or Santo-Panther stuff we watched earlier in the day.

Overall... the show felt flat for much of it, with on tv it seeming like the crowd largely showed up to see Taker and Rock-Cena. The only thing on the undercard that seemed to get much heat was the Tag Title, and that was short to the point that they didn't really have time for the crowd to not-give-a-shit. The other thing that had heat was Jericho's entrance, but the heat seemed to crap out once Fandango actually started working.

Interesting that they cut out all of the promos, backstage stuff and other bullshit. It was just matches and promo pieces. Even with that, they ran short on time and cut the Standard Women's Match Before The Main Event(s).

On the matches:

* Randy Orton & Sheamus & Big Show vs The Shield

Not terribly interesting, seemed to have lost the crowd both in the Stadium and the Hoback living room when it went into Show In Peril. To the point that the Hoback, his friend who trained in APW and I were asking each other, "Who decided when laying this out to have Show In Peril?" rather than Sheamus. I enjoyed Orton getting pinned, as 100% of his performance in the match reminded me who I hate 100% of him as a sports entertainer.

* Ryback vs Mark Henry

About that Ryback monster push...

Anyway, dead crowd made what felt like a plodding match more plodding. This may have worked as a main event of SmackDown or Raw with a hotter crowd into the characters. Here... it was 80K fans, of which 75K seemed to want to watch Rock and Taker.

* Daniel Bryan & Kane vs Big E Langston & Dolph Ziggler

Crowd was into it relative to most of the undercard, but it was short and they moved things along. Can't knock it, but it would have been a throwaway at that length on TV let along a PPV.

Chris Jericho vs Fandango

The crowd in Casa del Hoback hated Fandango, with one exception. The hate wasn't heel hate either: it was XPac style "Get The Hell Of My TV" level hate. It didn't seem like the fans in the Stadium cared about him either. This match just seemed to die, despite Jericho busting his ass to Do Stuff in his own sloppy fashion.

Alberto Del Rio vs Jack Swagger

Del Rio's cross armbreakers were cool, especially his finisher. The match... another one that felt flat. It wasn't flat in a Fandango fashion, but in a "who gives a fuck... can we get to the Big Matches" fashion. Felt more due to Swagger, as Del Rio was connecting on some level with the crowd. Honestly... Dutch added nothing to Swagger in this setting. He tried hard to insult everyone under the sun in the opening, though he forgot to say something along like lines of "speaking jive" or "speaking that hip hop nonsense". But the reaction to that was lighter than one would think. Once the match started, he didn't really do enough. Kind of strange/stupid. Anyway... eh.

The card at this point was generally dying. Can't say that's great for the WWE given who was in the final three matches:

Taker - 20+ year vet, rarely works
Punk - current "newish" top star
Trip - near 20 year vet, rarely works, generally phased himself out
Brock - Champ for the first time 10+ years ago , works limited
Cena - current top star, on top for close to a decade
Rock - guest star from the past generation

I get that it's Mania, and this stuff has been driving the box office at Mani for the past several shows and they've made a ton of money off that. But 2/6 in the three main events being of the Current Generation, one of them a true anchor (though he's draw the past two years due to Rock) and the other... the crowd reaction made it nakedly obvious that he wasn't close to true anchor level for a show like this.

* Undertaker vs CM Punk

Good match. If there was a negative to it, it's that no one in the crowd thought Punk had a chance of winning. Staggering lack of heat for his stuff on Taker. They did get a pop for the Last Ride + Urn Shot, but I don't think it was close to the best near-fall pops that Shawn and Trip got on Taker. But other than that, it was very clear that the fans just didn't take Punk being on a level with Taker at Mania with The Streak on the Line. It's doubtful that if Punk beat Taker reasonably clean + injury angle at say Surviors that folks would even think Punk was at the level to put Taker at risk of losing The Streak... but you have to wonder if something like that might have helped.

Feel bad for it on that level. Not sure if Punk really wanted to be Streak Fodder, but he did work hard once the bell rung... and Taker seems to fire up for his One Big Match A Year to have a spectacle. It's funny in this streak of Shawn-Shawn-Trip-Trip-Punk that the vast majority of the things in the five matches that I didn't like were due to Shawn, Trip and Punk... and it's Taker whose performance tend to surprise and please me in the "I don't know how his broken down body does this shit" fashion.

Anyway... good match, they hit their marks well enough. Just lacking people thinking Punk had a chance.

* Bangs The Bossí Daughter vs Brock Lesnar

It's nice to be reminded why I hate Bangs. The only good thing about this clusterfuck was that people didn't give a shit about it until the end. It's staggering that Trip would book himself (or allow himself to be booked into) going over Brock in this match.

* The Rock vs John Cena

Solid enough on some level, but last year's felt better, had more crowd heat, and more doubt. They tried... but there really wasn't an extra gear they could kick it into, either in terms of work or in terms of a storyline. I did like how they played off last year. I don't care for just obvious My Turn, Your Turn work. It's a broken record, but this pretty much needed a Cena heel turn to take it beyond last year's match. Probably also needed Cena to cap it by calling out Taker after the match, saying Taker had been dodging putting The Streak up against him for years, and the only way to get the match was to force the issue. What he just did to Rock was to force it.

Or some such nonsense. Which wouldn't have been quite the finish the fans in the building wanted, but given them a double Holy Shit: first Cena turning in the match, then calling out Taker to demand The Streak Match at the next Mania.

John
Tom Greaves

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lack of heat on the show was shocking, especially with HHH/Brock. I was watching on an, uh, alternate method, so I didn't quite get the whole experience. I wonder, did the weather have anything to do with it? It was 55 at the start of the show, and I'd imagine 3.5 hours later it was around 50 or so. Then again, plenty of football games are held in that stadium in far worse weather.

Tom
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without a WM party to go to, I was force to spend $60 for the dam thing. Need to be up to date going to the CAC dinner next week. I've seen most of the PPV on the WWE on demand this year & I could see some good matches about to happen. I liked the show. Thought it was good.

* Randy Orton & Sheamus & Big Show vs The Shield
Seems they are trying to make a Freebird team out of the Shield. I don't know them. I liked seeing Big Show getting worked over. Guess the idea was giving Shield a win and starting something between Show & Orton. You could see it before it happened. It was Ok. Interesting. I think the finish was kind of a surprise, so my thinking was the main event would go as predicted. **1/4

* Ryback vs Mark Henry

Ryback losing was meant to be a upset. So I felt the main event wasn't going to have any type of special finish. So Taker, Cena, & HHH were going over which I didn't like. The match kept my interest. Ok. But they spend time getting Ryback over & then blow him off. I think the plan may be to feed Henry to Lesnar. **1/2

* Daniel Bryan & Kane vs Big E Langston & Dolph Ziggler

Ziggler seems to the WWE Ray Stevens or Bret Hart. They'll keep him on undercards for 8 years until something happens to make them push him. This was Ok, but Bryan wasn't in much. **1/8

Chris Jericho vs Fandango

I don't know Fandango, so it was a little interesting. Jericho carried him. They respect Chris so much they had hin job to a guy in his first match. **1/8 I would book Jericho with Cesaro & have them do a program that gives Claudio a push. I still like watching Cesaro.

Alberto Del Rio vs Jack Swagger

I loved the cross armbreaker. Rio's face push was interesting. Ok. **3/4

* Undertaker vs CM Punk

I thought Taker's matches with HHH & Shawn were over rated, but this was very good. Punk became a star in my eyes with this match. Probably best match of the night. I thought the two did make the crowd think Punk might beat him. Liked it a lot. ****1/4

* Bangs The Bossí Daughter vs Brock Lesnar

I'm a mark for Lesnar. The only thing I disliked was HHH winning. The match had a feeling of reality & danger to it. The ending was believeable. Didn't fill like a regular match. I think Brock is too valuable to job to HHH. I hate the predictable booking of exchanging wins. "I won last time so it's my turn to job." To me that's just spinning your wheels & going nowhere. Funny this was booked to put HHH over big time, but the crowd still hates him. Thought the match was great. Had hammerlocks & stuff. Lot of emotion. ****1/4

* The Rock vs John Cena

I thought the match was just of bunch of moves & didn't have heat. Nothing wrong with it. Just layed there, The ending was the expected bullshit ending. Rock was right...if he won it was real...if he lost it was fake. Cena gets big win over Rock & everyone still think he sucks. Very strange star in wrestling history. Fans don't like him. It was a PC finish. **7/8

I enjoy it and then watched the Lakers, followed by a good GAME OF THRONES. Good day.

Steve Yohe
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea how legitimate this is:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/f2a27cd37741fd57ccddcbbfdb485fc5/tumblr_mkywezQXKY1r4yugfo1_500.jpg

Part of me thinks this is somebody's idea of a joke because why would you start teasing a match between somebody who debuted at this year's Wrestlemania being the next guy to face Taker?

Of course, the "streak ends" tagline could be more a case of Taker planning to wrestle his final match at WM XXX, regardless of the outcome.

I agree with John hinting that Taker/Cena needs to be the match, even if Cena doesn't need the rub of ending the streak. Without having watched WWE for some time, I guess Albert Del Rio would be the other option. *shrugs*
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Morris wrote:
I have no idea how legitimate this is:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/f2a27cd37741fd57ccddcbbfdb485fc5/tumblr_mkywezQXKY1r4yugfo1_500.jpg

Part of me thinks this is somebody's idea of a joke because why would you start teasing a match between somebody who debuted at this year's Wrestlemania being the next guy to face Taker?

Of course, the "streak ends" tagline could be more a case of Taker planning to wrestle his final match at WM XXX, regardless of the outcome.

I find it hard to believe that they will have Fandango go a year without losing: they change their minds too fast for that. Also suspect that even fewer people would buy Fandango winning than they bought Punk winning. :)

Quote:
I agree with John hinting that Taker/Cena needs to be the match, even if Cena doesn't need the rub of ending the streak. Without having watched WWE for some time, I guess Albert Del Rio would be the other option. *shrugs*

Rio's not at that level, and it would be hard to get him there between now and then. Taker-Cena for Mania XXX would make sense. I also wouldn't have a problem with Taker going out a winner in it. It probably is what the fans want, and could let Cena heel it up.

John
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word from Dave is that Rock got hurt real good at WM. If he delays or drops out of his next movie, Hollywood is going to stop him from wrestling again. With a bad rep, he wouldn't be able to get insured & he wouldn't get parts. He must have an agent who will put a stop to it. Wrestling for him is a very bad idea.--Yohe
JAG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like 1.1 or 1.2M buys and a record-breaking $70M gross for Vince. He'll take in about $40M.

He's pretty good at this promoting wrestling thing.

Jagdip
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured I stick this here... Masked Man at Grantland has some fun comparing the post-WM XXIX scene to the Hangover films.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9284671/masked-man-post-wrestlemania-wwe-hangover
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Wrestling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: