The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NJPW World

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JAG

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: NJPW World Reply with quote

So has anybody gotten the New Japan version of the WWE network?

I'm thinking about adding it later in the week to get the Tokyo Dome show, but it's limited without having a Roku app.

Jagdip
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they had all the 70s, 80s and 90s stuff available, I'd get it. ;)
JAG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From just browsing the site and reading a little, they have matches from each year, but it's limited.

10s 535
00s 108
90s 203
80s 153
70s 39

That's the breakdown on the site right now via Google translate.

Jagdip
DGinnetty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:
If they had all the 70s, 80s and 90s stuff available, I'd get it. ;)

Right now they have a bunch of Dome shows, the entire run of WPW Returns, and all 67 volumes of NJ moero tokon. Wpw returns us a 60 min weekly NJ show that airs on one of TV Asahi's satellite channels. It airs promos and edited undercard matches, with 1 uncut match to end the show. This show started in April 2012, airing footage from 2011.

The 67 moeru tokon DVDs are a mishmash of footage from 73- 2010 or so.
All matches are uncut, which is nice. Of all 67 volumes, i do not recall any "new" grails being on them.

That being said, I think it is a great start. They have SO much more footage at their disposal. I hope they unearth some unseen footage someday.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not a bad starting point.

One could hope they do an organized walk through the older stuff, and not overly slow. Even if they release 1 show per Week from the 70s & 80s & 90s each, that would take 10 years to get through. In the long run that's not bad... but you also worry about them getting bored of doing that and stopping after two years.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched the Tokyo Dome tonight, if I've seen a better show I can't remember it. NJW nailed it.--Yohe
JAG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was a great event and J.R. did add to the show for me.

I also agree with their decision to ride Tanahashi until he's done. No reason to get cute when you're still building and he's the guy that created the turnaround.

Like a good, old-school promotion, NJPW has a bit of everything right now, which makes for fun shows. Only thing it was missing was Inoki showing up to slap dozens of wrestlers and fans.

Jagdip
DalyCityTrain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was an awesome show.

I'm not the one to try to rank it all-time since it was probably the first start-to-finish Japanese event I've ever watched. But it was easily the best show I've seen since I started watching modern wrestling again in 2014 (the last NXT Special was excellent and this blew it away).

But every Podcast I've listened to liked it even more than I did, calling the main and semi-main among the best back-to-back matches ever and that kind of thing (my favorite match was Ishii vs. Makabe, which makes me wonder if my tastes aren't just out of date). It seems to be not just a huge hit with fans of Japanese Wrestling, but with people who are just getting into NJPW from the buzz around this show, or who just follow it casually.

A lot of the raves are for Nakamura who had a killer entrance. He and Ibushi showed a ton of personality, and also had easily the best crowd heat. But even when they weren't as loud throughout the match, the crowd seemed keyed in to every important element like

SPOILERS FOR WK9 HERE

Honma getting a pin, the dangers of the Styles Clash, Okada's dropkick, Sakuraba tapping...

END OF SPOILERS

I mean, those stories were all obvious enough for a noob like me to follow, but I never see a WWE show where every big moment pops the crowd like they'd been waiting for it.

As far as bringing that stuff up goes, Jim Ross and Matt Striker did a good job. They were catering their announcing to those of us not as familiar with the product, more like they were being dubbed over a video rather than acting as if they were regular announcers. I could imagine that someone who already knew New Japan in and out wouldn't get much out of them. But they worked for me, and they're also getting great marks from every review I've seen or heard. Ross certainly keyed right in to what spots and which guys should be taken seriously and raised the intensity a notch, then another notch for what might potentially be all-time-classic moments. He wasn't so good remembering names and moves off the top of his head, but that's where Striker filled in. Since Striker isn't so good at taking the action as seriously as it deserves, or engaging the viewer in big moments, they complemented each other even though they're both play-by-play guys and it came across.

Anyways, I'm really glad I watched it and I'm gonna try to add New Japan to my regular viewing. I also watched my first whole UFC event, but apparently that was a bad choice to get started with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Wrestling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: