The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doctor Who

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Dymond

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Doctor Who Reply with quote

One of the many pictures I have seen in the tOA Corner Art is a picture of Tom Baker as "The Fourth" Doctor Who. This leads me to assume that at least somebody around these parts is a Doctor Who fan.

Has anybody been following the new series since the re-launch? I have the first "new" season on DVD and am waiting until October when the Second Series Second Season starts here in Canada, although I know it has already aired in the UK. I believe the first season just finished airing in the US on Sci-Fi.

Thoughts anyone?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jeremy Billones

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed it quite a bit (though I thought the season finale was a bit of a stretch).

Four episodes of DH are up for Hugos in the Short Form category. (The two parter "The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances" got nominated as a single unit, and somehow still qualified as "short".) But that just means they're going to split the vote and screw "Father's Day" out of it's Hugo :p

(Speaking of Hugos, the Long Form category is sick. All five of those could win in a given year.)
Frank_Jewett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed a couple of stories from the new Doctor Who, but Eccleston's delivery often seemed forced. His mean attitude didn't always make sense given his behavior throughout the series. I liked Jon Pertwee and Colin Baker. Pertwee's grumpiness was backed by an air of sophistication and Baker's bristling was credible given his drama queen theatrics. I'm looking forward to the next Doctor.

Frank
Dave Dymond

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that "Father's Day" was a great episode...probably the best so far of the new series. The second series of the new series is over in the UK, and starts in October here. I have already seen "The Christmas Invasion" which is the new yearly special in the UK for Doctor Who, a unique Christmas Episode. The one for this past year dealt with Rose trying to come to terms with the new Doctor's regeneration.

From what I have seen so far, I am really liking David Tennant as the new Doctor. I think it's a neat bit of trivia that he originally got into acting because he told his parents he wanted to be Doctor Who...and now all these years later he has done it.

Frank, I agree with you that Eccleston seemed to be aiming for a darker, edgier Doctor and never pulled it off. I was suprised to see you list Colin Baker as one of your favorites...he traditionally gets hung with the tag as the "worst" of the 10 doctors due to his over the top delivery. I myself didn't like Paul McGann as was happy that #8 was kept to the Television Movie and audio plays.

Have you guys seen much of William Hartnell who played the First Doctor Who from 1963 to 1966? I recently bought Doctor Who - The Beginning Collection and have had a chance to see how the series started...it's interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Frank_Jewett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin Baker wasn't well liked around here because he wasn't friendly in the show and because he was rumored to be John Nathan-Turner's boy toy. Personally I thought Baker was the perfect replacement to rebound from the wimpy, gullible Doctor played by Peter Davison. Perhaps Davison gets harsher judgement from me because of his horrible stories and companions, but I really hated most of his era. The TV guy doesn't even belong on the list, as far as I'm concerned, nor does the Draculized TV version of the Master.

The producers utterly missed the dynamic between the Doctor and the Master. It wasn't about technology or super powers. The rivalry was actually at its best in the Pertwee era when they were both essentially stranded without the aid of technology. The battle was whether the benefits of teamwork and trust would outweigh the benefits of abuse and deception. It was the basic question of good vs evil in terms of team leadership. If the producers wanted a cool monster, they should have remade "The Talons of Weng-Chiang" instead. It's a cool story that could actually benefit from being reshot with modern effects and a bigger budget.

As for the Hartnell episodes, the few I watched seemed rather drab. The Tardis would take them somewhere and then pedestrian intrigue would ensue. It hardly seemed worth the trip in many episodes. No doubt budgetary constraints and production limitations were a big factor. Let's face it, the technology and aliens age pretty badly right up through the end of the Tom Baker era. I love "State of Decay" as well. That's another story that could use a bigger budget and modern production.

Note that I'm not a fan of CGI, it almost always looks phony to me, nor am I a fan of wall-to-wall action. I do think that a science fiction show should have science that looks decent and is plausibly better than what we have now. The old Star Trek communicators are a pretty shabby excuse for a cell phone, but McCoy's mysterious tool for repairing people without opening them up still looks good, even if the technology is a mystery. The Master's shrink ray still works, but the computer at the heart of "The Armageddon Factor" looks shabby by modern standards.

Frank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: