The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Happened To The National Wrestling Association After 49

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:40 am    Post subject: What Happened To The National Wrestling Association After 49 Reply with quote

Letter From Sam Muchnick to Eddie Graham
Aug. 20, 1971
CONFIDENTIAL
Mr. Eddie Graham 106 N. Albany, Tampa, Florida

Dear Eddie

I have turned this office upside down since I talked to you trying to find the letter from Emile Bruneau to Jerry Sangor, chairman of the Wisconsin Boxing Commission, and so far have been unable to do so. In as much as Verne Gagne sent me a copy you could call Verne and I know he would send you a duplicate. IN THE MEANTIME I WILL CONTINUE LOOKING.

I wrote Ollie Downs, secretary of the National Wrestling Association, last spring that a lot of the promoters don' t believe it is right that they have to pay dues and be associate members of his organization. All it means is sending in $25.00, getting a card, etc. The question is, Why? Their organization is composed of some commissioners, not all. We had an experience several years ago when they had a meeting in Gatlinburg, Tenn., and the Nashville office called me and asked me to “kick in” with some refreshmen expenses. I sent in $300.00 reluctantly and so did Jim Crockett and Roy Welch and Nick Gulas. Fred Ward and Paul Jones refused to come in with the ante. Nothing accomplished at this meeting except some pretty good drinking.

The 1st president of the Association in the late 20's and early 30's was Col. H. J. Landry of Friars Point, Miss. I was a newspaperman then but I always thought that Ed White, manager of Jim Londos, and my old boss, Tom Packs, made him the president. They did not even have an wrestling in Mississippi. The Colonel would go to towns, have a good time and that was it.

I can write you volumes information about the NWA---not ours-- but I don't think you would be interested for me to go into details. I will continue trying to find the letter. My office is in a mess. For 18 years you depend some one to handle files, and suddnely that person is gone.

Kindest regards.

Sam Muchnick

Yohe: This letter is from the huge files of Tim Hornbaker, and yes, he has all the papers he claims to have.
Rian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff Yohe, keep that kind of stuff coming!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Eighties All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: