The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

King of Hookey Aug 2015

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: King of Hookey Aug 2015 Reply with quote

So James had a day off on Friday and I have a nutty amount of vacation days that I'm not using fast enough. Since Mrs. Hoback were back in school, it was a good time for us to play (not really) hookey and watch some futbol and wrestling... and figure out something to watch with Caleb when he got home from school. Deal! :)

04/10/98 Manchester United vs Liverpool (EPL)

James wanted to see some 90s Manchester United. My first thought was to play the 1994 FA Cup Final against Chelsea. Quite the United butt kicking. But... that disk didn't want to be read by Hoback's older DVD/VCR combo player, which happens from time to time with older players. So... it was a good thing I brought two matches. :)

[Note to self: I need to check that FA Cup disk on my bluray player to see if it's fine. Pretty sure it's just the old player]

This was a 90:00 Broadway that would likely bore the hell out of non-futbol fans because "only" two goals were scored. Hoback is a futbol fan, and basically went bonkers over it for 90s minutes. It had a hot opening, basically like Taue hitting a nodowa at the bell. :) Then there was young pre-injury 18 year old Michael Owen just BLAZING all over the place... and constantly hacking the crap out of United players. There was a moment where Schmeichel wanted to smack him around, but restrained himself as Owen got a yellow. Owen got sent off for a second yellow that today would have been a straight red. It then turned into a Handicap Match, with United attacking like heck but unable to get a second goal to take the full three points. I thought that might cause it to sag for James late, but neither he nor the action fell off. :)

Loads of fun

Shinya Hashimoto vs Riki Choshu (8/10/91 NJPW G-1 Climax)

James wanted to watch the Vader-Mutoh hand-held. I stopped at the match before it, and forced him to watch this as well. Darn lucky that I made that booking decision.

Short largely two movement match:

* Choshu jumps Hash at the gun with a wicked strike and kicks the shit out of Hash
* Hash hits a tremendous transition to turn things and then kicks the shit out of Choshu

It's theatrical, it's stiff, is simple, they sell their asses off for each other, Choshu is an old pro at theatrical spectacles and Hash is coming into his own as the future master.

We really, really, really enjoyed this. I'm not selling it as an epic or anything. Just a fun, good short match.

Keiji Muto vs Big Van Vader (8/10/91 NJPW G-1 Climax)

The famous Cushion Match. James has never seen this. I'd watched it at some point in the 90s, and always assumed it was with James. Instead, I must have had it tagged onto a tape I got from Zavisa that's now buried in some box in my crib that I never marked well enough. I watched it back then after Vader had the Sting series, so judged it in that context. I wasn't exactly disappointed by it, but didn't lose my mind over it in that viewing in the 90s.

Watching it again, and with James... loads of fun. Vader hasn't added all the stuff that he would over the next few years, nor figured all of what worked and didn't work in his ass kicking nature. But he's moving in that direction. He's pretty brutal in giving Mutoh lariats to the jaw and clubbering him. When it's time to turn the tables, he sells his ass off for Mutoh and makes him look good. They go "past midnight" with each kicking out of the other's finishers. By that point the Hall is rocking as they have no idea how it's going to finish.

Just a really well laid out, smart Younger Babyface vs Monster match. Not perfect, to I do like Vader clocking Mutoh the one time he's slow on a spot. Great crowd, nice finish, classic post match not just with the cushions but also Vader handling the loss.

MS-1 vs. Sangre Chicana (9/23/83)

Mrs. Hoback: "What did the boys to while I was working."
James: "We watched the Greatest Match of All-Time... except it wasn't."

This was the match above all others that James wanted to watch. I can't recall a match falling that flat for him... ever.

4/21/78 All Japan TV Taping
1. Destroyer vs. Gino Hernandez (1:38 shown)
2. Dick Murdoch vs Rocky Hata (14:20 shown)
3. Giant Baba & Jumbo Tsuruta vs Ric Flair & Kim Duk (2-0 falls: 13:31 + 5:18 shown)

This was from Dan's "Misc All Japan Original TV broadcasts from 1976-1980" set of 18 dvd's. Lots of interesting stuff on there, with Dan doing a cool job of substituting complete (or more complete) G+ versions of matches that were edited on the original broadcasts.

We didn't watch the Destroyer match out of loyalty to Steve: we only watch them with him. ;) Also, it was just a short clip.

The Murdoch vs Hata match was a lot of fun. Largely working holds rather than Dick stalling or stooging. I love watching Dick work holds as he remains active, he feeds his opponent, he sells when on the bottom, he works basic counters, etc. Not off the charts matwork, but just really solid stuff, and Hata knew how to work all of it. I could watch a few dozen matches like this.

The main event was Flair's debut match for All Japan. Got to pin Baba in the first fall and (what's been forgotten/ignored when people write it up) got the second fall as well over Jumbo via count out. Here's the fun thing: Flair's primary finisher was the Atomic Drop. You see... when Backlund does it, the move sucks. But when Flair does it, the move is cool. ;) Flair was goofy, including his "I'm the man, you're the boy" yelling at Baba. When you get to watch Flair right after Murdoch-Hata, you really get a solid understanding of how pedestrian / crappy Flair is at working holds. This was largely entertaining for how much fun we had at Flair's expense.

Side note: don't read this as me saying Flair was a crappy wrestler who sucked. He wasn't. He was a great worker. He just wasn't *always* great in matches, at times was off or not good at all.

4/27/78 All Japan TV Taping
1. Giant Baba & Destroyer vs. Dick Murdock & Kim Duk (4:45 shown)
2. UN Title: Jumbo Tsuruta vs. Ric Flair (2-1 falls: 15:42, 8:43, 2:59) - G+ AJ Classics version

Okay... so we did watch this Destroyer match. It's notable only for Destroyer getting pissed off, loading the masked and head butting the heck out of Murdock and Duk. No juice, but it was worked to set up a match between the Two Dicks.

The UN Title match... well... um... er. James and I had long ago watch the first two falls with Yohe, whose copy (I think from Lynch) ended before the 3rd fall. Well, it's not like we misses anything as the third fall was an awful quicky. What was before it was funny largely for Ric again. Ric had his moments of doing some good stuff. Largely he just was mediocre. Jumbo was trying. Jumbo was feeding. Jumbo was trying to keep it basic. Jumbo was trying some stuff that most gaijin seemed to know how to do. Ric... well... yeah... not good. Worth watching, only good for laughs and joking through.

Side note: I turned 12 years old on the day these matches were taped. :)

Godzilla (05/16/14)

After picking Caleb up from school, going to a comic book store, getting dinner for Mrs. Hoback (who was staying at school for Parent-Teacher Night), we arrived back at Casa del Hoback to present Caleb with a choice: watch Iron Man 3 or watch Godzilla. Now Caleb is a massive Marvel Fan, not just of the Marvel movies but of the comics. He had not seen Iron Man 3, so that was really tempting. But he chose to watch Godzilla, I think because he could sense that I really wanted to watch it with him. :)

Just terrific fun. As much fun as Yohe and I had when watching it. Caleb dug the fake-out of the Monster Egg to make you think it's Godzilla but turns out to me Mutoh #1. He loved the Las Vegas strip getting thrashed by Mutoh #2. He got a kick out of the Tank On Fire followed by the Train On Fire. He was digging the slow tease of Godzilla being shown a little bit at a time, and the Honolulu fight between Godzilla and Mutoh #1 being shown only in part as building the anticipation when Godzilla really shows up big time in San Francisco. He was tossing out way too many Twincest jokes at the Lead Character and his Olsen Sister Wife as an in joke for them being twins in Avengers 2. :)

I can't express enough how much fun it was watching it with Caleb and seeing him pop for stuff. :)

Then there was James.

First he needed me to spoiler it for him that the Little Son was going to survive. Then that the Olsen Sister Wife was going to survive. Then that the Lead Character was going to make it. I had to point out to Mrs. Hoback after she got home that James never once expressed any concern over whether Godzilla was going to make it through the movie. :P

Parks and Recreation - Season 1
Episode 1: "Pilot"
Episode 2: "Canvassing"

So for the post main-event cooling off match we went with a series that James and Caleb have been binge watching that I've yet to see. We applied Standard John Rule: if John is going to watch a series, he has to start from the beginning. :)

I enjoyed the goofiness a lot. Now I only have 123 more episodes to watch. The Hobacks are always doing this: introducing me to new things to watch, and then forcing me into a new binge watching habit. :)

All in all, a fantastic day off and time with the Hobacks.
DalyCityTrain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This got me to go watch some of the matches. Hashimoto/Choshu was pretty cool, so TY for that rec. IIRC it's the earliest Hashimoto match I've ever seen, and Choshu made him look like a killer. The crowd is crazy cheering for Choshu as he gets killed, too.

I'd watched Muta/Vader once before, but yeah it's awesome. The last five minutes especially.

I'm out of my depth on all this stuff, but especially the Lucha match. I've never heard of MS-1 or Sangre Chicana or the reputation of the match before. Wikipedia got me up to speed on the feud, though. Within that total lack of context, I enjoyed the brawl and it felt like it aged a little better than the Piper/Valentine at Starrcade around the same time.

Parls & Rec is a lot of fun. In it's season 2-3 peak it's an all-time great sitcom/ensemble comedy IMO. Season 1 kinda lays the foundation for what becomes one long adjustment from a cringe-y, darker comedy to a more sentimental show. It keeps changing up and surprising you (I hope I'm keeping it vague enough that this isn't Spoilers). After Season 3, it got too sappy for me.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DalyCityTrain wrote:
This got me to go watch some of the matches. Hashimoto/Choshu was pretty cool, so TY for that rec. IIRC it's the earliest Hashimoto match I've ever seen, and Choshu made him look like a killer. The crowd is crazy cheering for Choshu as he gets killed, too.

They had big match "history" by this point:

04/24/89 IWGP Tournament First Round: Shinya Hashimoto defeats Riki Choshu (3:41)
09/20/89 IWGP Tag Title: Masa Saito & Shinya Hashimoto defeat Riki Choshu & Takayuki Iizuka (c) (18:52)
12/07/89 World Cup League Final: Riki Choshu defeats Shinya Hashimoto (15:32)

05/28/90 Shinya Hashimoto defeats Riki Choshu (13:34)
11/01/90 IWGP Title: Riki Choshu (c) defeats Shinya Hashimoto (16:14)

08/10/91 G1 Climax 1991 Block B: Shinya Hashimoto defeats Riki Choshu (7:50)
11/05/91 Greatest 18 Club Title: Riki Choshu (c) defeats Shinya Hashimoto (12:25)

The pattern was Hash won the first singles each year, then Choshu got the win back late in the year. The 1989 upset was their first singles match ever, so it was a major upset.

Choshu saw something in Hash before anyone else, and put him over more at this time than anyone else. He went out of his way to "make" Hash.

The second match from 1989 is on Dailymotion. The second 1990 match, if you can find it, is a really dramatic title match spectacle.

The other key part of the story is that Choshu was 0-2 in the G-1, Hash was 1-0-1 with 3 points while Chono was sitting in the clubhouse with 5 points (1-1-1). No one thought Choshu was going to lose all three matches, or that they would have a "playoff" match between Hash and Chono if Hash won. This basically looked like Choshu would save face getting a win, and Chono would face the winner of Vader-Mutoh (which followed and would determine the other Block) in the Final.

Instead... some great Choshu booking.

Quote:
I'd watched Muta/Vader once before, but yeah it's awesome. The last five minutes especially.

It's great down the stretch as it was "past midnight": Vader kicked out of the moonsault and Mutoh kicked out of the Vader Splash. But I also liked the early stuff as well as Vader just clubbered the hell out of Mutoh, then sold and bumped great for him. Really fun match to see again. :)

Quote:
Parls & Rec is a lot of fun. In it's season 2-3 peak it's an all-time great sitcom/ensemble comedy IMO. Season 1 kinda lays the foundation for what becomes one long adjustment from a cringe-y, darker comedy to a more sentimental show. It keeps changing up and surprising you (I hope I'm keeping it vague enough that this isn't Spoilers). After Season 3, it got too sappy for me.

I'll be binging when I can get some time. :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Wrestling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: