The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

12/19/15 King of Hot Dogs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey the old King of Chicken gang got together Saturday night just like old times with Meltzer in Mexico. John, James, Yohe & El Hijo del Holbeck went to the WWE card at the remolded LA Forum. Had a great time getting to talk to James after years of being a part. I thought the wrestling was real good for a WWE card. The music, video & all the PC PR crap bugged me, but I had people there to bitch to. Brock Lesnar was fun to watch.

I wasn't impressed with the New Forum and with the semi-cheap tickets at almost $100....it may be my last live wrestling card. At least my last WWE card.

It was just like the old times...Me & James sat together. This time tho, James' kid got Meltzer's seat next to John. The kid is very nice and didn't mind John TALKING TO HIM THE WHOLE DAMM TIME!!

At the end of the evening, all of us agreed that John has mellowed in his old age. He is becoming a very PC & a very nice sweet person.....and Yohe is becoming more & more the asshole.....well only John & James & El Hijo believed the last part, and I liked the old, know it all, Williams better.

I'm a little pissed at John & James because they played a big joke of me. I was warned a head that El Hijo del Holbeck was talker than me...like 6'3 1/2...and they knew it would upset me. I used to be the tallest guy in the group at 6'3" but in my old age, I'm shrinking...maybe a lot...but I don't want to think about it, because I'm a vain jerk. Well we get there and they bring the kid in. I was sitting but they told me he was in the 10th grade and 6'3". So Ok....then later we all stand up to leave & the fucking kid was 6" 6". I felt like I was standing in a hole. So my good friend lied to me just to make me feel like a old midget. I felt like Sky Hi Low. (I don't know why I wasted a great joke like that on this group because I know the name Sky Low Low means nothing to you guys. Maybe Fuzzy Cupid would have been funnier, if that was possible!) But I was cool about it. Still today I feel like shit about it. I think Williams wanted me to feel like he has his whole life. There's a Fuzzy Cupid for you.

Anyway it seemed like everyone had fun and there was talk about another KOC at some time. It will be hard to find some good wrestling to watch. I've out grew the WWE shit...Ok..I've out shrunk the WWE.--Steve Yohe (I missed Bob Barnett!)
jkc31

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think you feel bad, i have țo Look up At him all the time. Caleb had a great time and enjoyed being a part of his dad's wrestling buddies.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve forgot to mention his inability to find a hot dog stand in the building, and the great lengths John went to get him two because John knows how important hot dogs are for Steve when we go to shows in the US. ;)

On the card...

I was at the hot dog stand during the Miz vs Ziggler curtain jerker match. That might have been okay.

The undercard was pretty boring. Divas match does nothing for me. They try, they get their stuff in, none of it matters.

Ryback vs Rusev was an 80s style two big guys match, with one of them roided out of his mind and the other guy just normally roided. They were working House Show Stiff with the lightest clotheslines that I can recall. Mind numbingly bad.

Brock vs Del Rio was like half of a decent not-long Brock match. Half in the sense that it only went 4:40, and it would have been pretty decent if they went a bit over 9 minutes. The brief moments Brock sold reminds you how good of a seller Brock is for a monster. Well, with the exception of the cross armbreaker. Del Rio had some nice stuff for him, with kicks and mat stuff like the armbar. His bumps on Brock's suplexes were excellent. What they did was good, it's cool to see Brock at a house show after all these years, but it was kind of the match we threw down all that money to see, so you kind of wish Brock would work a Hogan lengthen 9 minute match rather than a Sheik like under 5.

Up to this point I'd been sitting next to Steve. I think Steve and I have been watching so many Lakers games this year that we instantly get in a grumpy mood when watching something and talking through it.

After intermission, Caleb switched spots with Steve, and I was instantly in a much better mood. :)

Wyatts vs Dudleys & Dreamer & Kane was a solid match. They knew what they were doing, worked some low end heat spots, moved it along. I joked with James that the faces were a bunch of "Keep getting dem checks!" guys, to quote Jalen Rose. None of them should be on the roster at this point in their lives, and other than Kane (who seems to be a WWE'er for life), the other three probably can't believe they're getting paid by the WWE. I find the Wyatts amazing dull in the ring for the most part. Great entrance, decent "characters" for television, but their matches are a bit like early Undertaker matches: flat after the bell rings. It's odd to think of a face team carrying one of the top heel groups in the promotion.

Ambrose-Owens was an entertaining match. I'm not going to sell it as being on the level of Steen/Owens' best indy stuff, or even his best WWE-universe stuff. What I found interesting as that he was able to work a safe house show style match and stiff have one that sucked the crowd in. I find Ambrose to be yet another of those generic WWE guys of the past decade who "all work the same", even if they don't exactly. He's not supper compelling to me. So it's Owen who pushed this along for me to be a good entertaining match.

Reigns-Sheamus was a slow (for this card) build match. The early stuff played to the crowd. At a certain point the crowd was getting a bit restless, but they eventually picked it up and worked well from there to the finish.

Caleb and I have fun with the two young kids, maybe 7-8 years old, sitting in the seats right in front of us. They were Reigns fans, with signs when he came out. They were quietly pulling for him rather than being rabid fans, with subtle small things they were doing to show they were pulling for him. Caleb and I were catching the little things, point it out to each other and digging it. So I started getting LOAD pulling for Sheamus, while Caleb was vocally pulling for Reigns. Which made the kids get a little more expressive in their support, and get a little more worried about Reigns maybe losing. They were really worried with the Brogue Kick, and quite happy when Reigns kicked out. They popped when Reigns won in the end. :)

Overall...

It was fun to go to a show again with the Old Gang. It was especially fun Caleb along with us to create a New Gang. :) Like so much of the things I get to do with over the course of a year, his enthusiasm rubs off on me, and he's always sharing different things he picks up like the kids in front of us. Going to shows or going to the movies or watching something on TV or playing a game is all about that enthusiasm and fun people have together, and also the experience of sharing it and what you all pick up. Caleb is aces in those areas, and I'm lucky to have him in my life, along with his Mom and Dad.

Of course I'm lucky to have Steve in my life. We all need someone to share horrible things like the current Lakers with. :P Well... and all those titles we shared in 2000-2002 & 2009-2010. :)
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After going to the live card with the old gang, I got into watching wrestling again. I bought the Summer Slam 2015 DVD cheap to see Brock vs Undertaker and enjoyed it. Lesnar did a great job of carrying Taker. Enjoyed all of it.

The next night I reached into my pile of old Japanese tapes. This is still I bought for Lynch and never had time to watch. Most from 2010 & 2011. This is the tape:

1-NOAH (8-22-10)(GOOD SHOW)
--KENTA VS ATSUSHI AOKI
--KENSUKE SASAKI VS SHUHEI TANIGUCHI
(GHC JR TAG TITLE)
--TAIJI ISHIMORI & RICKY MARVIN
VS (TITLE CHANGE)
KOJI KANEMOTO & TIGER MASK 4
--SATOSHI KOJIMA VS MOHAMMED YONE
--GO SHIOZAKI VS SHINSUKE NAKAMURA ****1/4
(GHC TITLE)
--TAKASHI SUGUIRE VS JUN AKIYAMA
2-NOAH (12-5-10)
--TAIJI ISHIMORI & SHUHEI TANIGUCHI
VS
AKIRA TAUE & KENTARO SHIGA
--ATSUSHI AOKI VS DELIRIOUS
--KENSUKE SASAKI & KATSUHIKO NAKAJIMA & KENTO MIYAHARA
VS
AKITOSHI SAITO & RICKY MARVIN & MASAO INOUE
--MOHAMMED YONE & GENBA HIRAYANAGI
VS
GO SHIOZAKI & YOSHINARI OGAWA
--KENTA VS NAOMICHI MARUFUI ***7/8
--BISON SMITH VS YUTAKA YOSHIE (CONTENDER'S MATCH)
(GHC JHC)
--YOSHIOBU KANEMARU VS KOTARO SUZUKI (TITLE CHANGE)***1/2
(GHC TC)
--YOSHIHIRO TAKAYAMA & TAKUMA SANO
VS ***1/2
CLAUDIO CASTAGNOLI & CHRIS HERO
(GHC)
--TAKASHI SUGUIRE VS TAKESHI MORISHIMA ****
3—PRINCE DEVITT VS KOTA IBUSHI (BEST OF THE JR FINAL)(6-3-10)
(IWGP JHC)
4—PRINCE DEVITT VS ATSUSHI AOKI (7-11-10)
5—TORU YANO VS PRINCE DEVITT (8-15-10) (TOUR)
6- ANDRE THE GIANT VS MIGHTY INOUE (7-19-79)

Both Noah cards were great. Watched it all for 8 hours. I liked Suguire a lot and the match with Morishima was real good. Claudio & Hero carried Takayama & Sano and I marked out. Shiozaki vs Nakamura was a stuff match & great. Couldn't believe NJW would let them job Nakamura but it was 2010. Dave was really raging on NOAH, saying they were dying, but these two cards were as good as they come.--Steve Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Eighties All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: