The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Magnificant Seven remake was shot on 35 MM film.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: The Magnificant Seven remake was shot on 35 MM film. Reply with quote

Elmer Bernstein's theme from the 1960 The Magnificent Seven -- in mono but sounds like the Los Angeles Philharmonic in 24-channel stereo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XDB7GMnbUQ

The above score, with only a still-poster advertising the film, has over five million hits on Youtube.

This remake, 56 years after the original Western version was released (also shot in Panavision) and the most amazing fact is that one of the producers of the original -- Walter Mirisch -- who I thought had passed away, and is 95 years old, is listed as one of the producers of this new version.

I saw the original Western in a movie theater; it was not a masterpiece, but was and is a superb film I can repeatedly view most of. The putzes who produced this new version did not use the legendary music-score composed by Bernstein. That score is 50 percent of the film.

Mirisch, one of a three-brother independent producing team of great acclaim, is the last living producer of his era, as far as I know, and was producing movies beginning in the 1940s. I suspect he owns some rights to the earlier Western.

I'd pay a double admission fee, if he's still lucid and a fine oral storyteller, to see and hear him being interviewed before the film-version of the new film is shown.

Since the 2016-version of the film has been converted to both digital and working 35 MM prints, I wonder if it will be released in a film-version in New York City. It opens next week and I hope Yohe reviews it soon.

If I can see it projected from 35 MM film, I might go buy a ticket. Since I saw the original in a movie theater, perhaps they will let me in for free. Ain't many of us still around who paid to see it 56 years back. Better yet, why didn't they just blow up the 35 MM original to 70 MM, re-record the score in six-track stereo, and re-release that version to theaters?

Ken
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most major reviewers listed on Rotten Tomatoes pissed all over the 2016 remake. It's actually hard to find a positive review that isn't negative when read fully.

Ken
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were a number that went nuts over it:

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/09/08/the-magnificent-seven-review-denzel-washington-chris-pratt-western-a-must-see

http://www.timeout.com/us/film/the-magnificent-seven-2016

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/09/the-magnificent-seven-review-denzel-hawke-trump-tiff-2016-1201723815

I don't think any of us have any high expectations for it. It will likely suck less than the Ben Hur remake, but that doesn't take much effort.
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even some of the major-publications offer good reviews which damn the film with faint praise.

As for the negative ones:

The Los Angeles Times review by Kenneth Turan:

"...it arrives in a comatose state, a film unlikely to arouse passions one way or another..."

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-magnificent-seven-review-20160919-snap-story.html

Manohla Dargis of the New York Times --

"...The new movie is as moth-eaten as the serapes strewn through the 1960 film...Mr. Washington’s latest, “The Magnificent Seven,” is a remake of a remake that’s as fresh as recycled recycling suggests..."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/23/movies/magnificent-seven-review-denzel-washington.html?_r=0

And on and on.

But since when did audiences pay any attention to movie reviews?

Ken
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done changed my mind, which I don't often do: The 1960 version of "The Magnificent Seven, " directed by John Sturges, produced by Walter Mirsch and John Sturges, screenplay by Walter Bernstein, William Roberts and Walter Newman from the screenplay for "Seven Samurai," IS a classic and should not have been remade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yulmgTcGLZw

Ken
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been remade a bunch of time. One of them was in outer space. It's been done over & over in different forms. So has SHANE.--Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And as everyone knows, the "original" is a remake anyway. It's lifted from The Seven Samurai.

I love the original The Magnificent Seven. Of course The Seven Samurai is an even better movie, and one of the all-time classic movies.
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
It has been remade a bunch of time. One of them was in outer space. It's been done over & over in different forms. So has SHANE.--Yohe

You're right, as you usually are when it comes to wrestling and movies.

My problem was I saw the film in a theater twice, a few times for a few minutes on TV, and then forgot about the significance of the movie for 56 years. I never bothered to watch the remakes.

So I never cared when some fans (on the old AOL screenwriting and TV-writing boards, which were full of credited-screenwriters and current and future TV show-runners and famous authors -- after the Writers Guild of America, West, shut down its own board), took offense at some of the remakes. AOL and the Internet, of course, didn't exist when the earliest remakes were done.)

Even Gone With the Wind was sorta remade in 1957 starring no less than Clark Gable, with Yvonne De Carlo (a box-office hottie back then) and directed by Raoul Walsh, from the dreadful novel by Robert Penn Warren. The film's title is "Band of Angels."

Warner Bros, which financed the film, opened it in August of '57 and it croaked, and when it played on TV and then disappeared, years later folks swore they'd seen Gone With the Wind on TV, when it never had been shown on the little box. They were confusing the two films.

Fifty-six years is a long time for a person to change his mind. I'm happy that I'm still alive so I can still find my brain and make the necessary change.

Where in my apartment is the refrigerator today? It was here yesterday.

Ken
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John is always right about wrestling & movies!!!!! Now you tell me.---Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: