The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FILM: Strangler Lewis v Wong Bock Cheung; Australia, 1934

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: FILM: Strangler Lewis v Wong Bock Cheung; Australia, 1934 Reply with quote

To my knowledge, this is the first time this footage from the UofSC has been linked to or posted anywhere.

What with the British Movietone News move of its headquarters to Australia here in the 21st century, and their licensing of whatever rights they hold-or-don't-hold, in film from the Golden Age of newsreels, to the Associated Press, there isn't much left of what I posted of a newsreel clip of a match held at Sidney Stadium in Australia on August 25, 1934 in the British Movietone version, with a United Kingdom narration expressing humor or contempt for wrestling, on another board.

So, for the first time ever, here's a nice piece of the original newsreel release from Australian theaters, in some beautifully-restored footage, with the original narration, direct from Fox Movietone News, which, back in 1934, ran Australian Movietone and British Movietone News as subsidiaries. (British Movietone News is today an independent company.)

This footage is courtesy of the University of South Carolina as recipient of a gift of a hoard of the Fox Newsreels (over 11 million feet of film out of the 65 million feet claimed to still exist).

No embedding and kindly respect their copyright claim. There's no doubt they lawfully own the original film. This clip duplicates its own footage after a while, and shows two of the three falls of the match -- twice.

At the time we purchased our copies, about six years ago, there was no UofSC publicly-online site and we had loads of good footage of awful Sonnenberg, who knew three holds and stayed on the mat like a dead lox until he arose and threw a block (tackle, as some call it) at his opponent.

I can't speak for Steve Yohe, who watched what I watched since he was one of my co-founders of the newsreels'-buying-consortium, and he identified some major wrestlers we'd never before seen on film, some major matches and major occurrences, but I was crawling the walls having to watch endless footage of Sonnenberg snoring.

Cheung was an American and was U.S.-trained.

http://mirc.sc.edu/islandora/object/usc%3A26393

Ken
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: FILM: Strangler Lewis Spars & Talks; Sonnenberg... 1929 Reply with quote

There's a fourth-generation version of this full clip from a newsreel report of Strangler Lewis sparring and cutting a promo, and Gus Sonnenberg asleep, on Raging Bull's site on Youtube...it's a long story since we never purchased this particular release. Instead, we bought about 20 minutes of outtakes, which included everything seen here.

This is a digital conversion of film shot on June 27, 1929, in Boston, Massachusetts, in a park and at the outdoor arena that I assume the Gus Sonnenberg-title-defense of his title won from Strangler Lewis the previous January in Boston, as promoted by Paul Bowser, with endorsement from Jack Curley, took place.

Sonnenberg held onto the title but down in Philadelphia, that state's athletic commission, the New York State Athletic Commission and a bunch of the members of the National Boxing Association (but not the full body) were recognizing the winner of the Dick Shikat vs Jim Londos 1929 ballpark match as the new world's heavyweight champion.

(Shikat won that but the following year, the rematch went the other way and Jim Londos became the first and only official National Boxing Association world's heavyweight wrestling champion.)

Anyway, here is the first link I know of to clear footage of the released-version of the Fox Movietone News clip of Strangler Lewis speaking after sparring in a ring with a coach who looks awfully like Billy Sandow (wearing the pants from a suit; both as a coach/referee and perhaps even in the showers).

The UofSC made this digital conversion from a commercial video tape (the kind TV stations used to use) rather than pay for a conversion direct from the silver nitrate 35 MM negative. Silver nitrate tends to explode or catch fire spontaneously and does not need oxygen handy to burn since it creates its own. Money was tight there and still is. It was cheaper to use the tape they had handy.

Footage courtesy of the University of South Carolina as filmed by Fox Movietone News and donated by 20th Century Fox. Who made the tape is not known to me.

http://mirc.sc.edu/islandora/object/usc%3A19673

Ken
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken - please make one "Film" general thread and one "Photo" general thread. You've noticed that Steve doesn't make a thread about every movie he goes to, and instead puts his comments in one thread.

Thanks.
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Film and photo archives? Reply with quote

JDW, I don't recall asking you if you wanted a films archive and/or a photos archive on your board.

And it is your board.

With his film reviews, Steve seems to do it as a hobby. What happened over time is he got so good at reviewing movies, he surpassed the reviewers for The New York Times, and most other online critics. I read him before I read the others and usually don't even read the others when I want to know something about a movie.

Before I spend any money attending a film or renting it from my cable company, checking out Steve's reviews has become necessary. But I can't find a search-engine here.

The situation with posting main-event wrestling films of yore, and photos, is quite different. Such a venture needs to be searchable. And I have to be willing and able to travel, as far as cross-country, to get to some of the major newsreels archives to see if what they have is worth paying for copies of. I no longer am, so that sorta kills part of that.

Just nearby me, there's over 20 million feet of newsreel film, not that the owners particularly want to cooperate and provide open access. And I don't even push that, since there is quite a problem with traveling within New York City now due to Donald Duck making the Duck building his headquarters.

So before anything happens on my end, let it not happen, at the least, until we communicate off-board. Either I'll get an email for you from Steve, or Steve is authorized to give you my email address.

It can be a lot of work for you that isn't suitable for this time in your life. And I'm more-and-more seeking refuge in local Senior Citizens' centers because the new apartment-building owner where I live has cut off all heat most of the time. I blow into my hands so my fingers aren't too cold to type with. It's rather annoying to type with gloves on.

Ken
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly don't know what you're going on about. There are two obvious search engines. The one at the top of the site all Search:

http://www.otherarena.com/phpbb/search.php

And then there's the Google which spider's the site decently enough.

My request was really simple.
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obvious is not obvious if I don't notice it. Never knew there was an onsite search engine. Thanks for leading me to it. On the other hand, the Google method, while usable, doesn't really cut it. I'd tried it.

As for carrying on, I like to carry on.

I think I was trying to hint an archive, be it for photos or footage, won't work in a single thread. It needs a forum of its own so as not to interfere with the ongoing other activities of the board. There are some 500-plus threads listing footage on the WCMB films archive and some 45 threads for photos (the photos are arranged both by wrestler and in no particular order). I gave up on the photos archive because, by just characterizing the images as "Photos of the Legends," it effectively became unsearchable.

Ken
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken

I agree with John. Just create two general threads, one for film & one for photos. It would be your section to use as you wish.

Other wise you hog the whole section. I don't know all the computer words to explain this. That will also move you to the top of the page each time you post. Anything not on the front page isn't going to be read. Keep it under control.

You'll have your own spot & the people interested will know where to look.

John's not trying to be a asshole. it's just better....for everyone.

Try posting at the Wrestling Observer site & you'll find assholes.

You do have a fan base for your research at WC, and with time, they'll follow you over to tOA. I still think your wrong about leaving.

If WC ever disappears, all my wrestling history stuff will come here. When people do searches for stuff....I've found that tOA pops up before WC. For some reason. I'm proud of what we have done over the years at WC & the Thesz board. Mask has kept it a pretty serious place for history. I have never had a problem with Mask & I respect him.

Your are right about my movie reviews.....they're unbelievable great....well maybe just unbelievable.---Yohe
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, looking at this board as it now exists, there isn't a dead forum in which to place an archive, so as to avoid the problems you outline and we both know would be real. Somehow, I'd thought there were a few rarely-used forums that could be commandeered for that purpose. Brain is fading faster than a digital movie screen.

Anyway, with the reality of about 800,000 New York City households ensconced in apartments that are rent-regulated, and tens of thousands of would-be tenants willing to pay multiples of the rents we pay -- thousands of dollars a month more -- building speculators are buying up these sometimes 100-year-old apartment collections and trying to force the tenants out. Out where? The gutter satisfies the speculators. Where I live we have a tenant exterminator placed here to 'clean-out' the building of legal residents in their 80s and 90s who refuse to die or go live in the Great Swamp in New Jersey.

So there's no longer any heat in my apartment in the daytime and I have less enthusiasm about pursuing newsreels and still-photos archives when it's too cold to be comfortable. I'm planning on spending many of my days now out of range of my computer, in buildings that are warm. Had I any interest in eating lunches in institutional settings, there are City-funded Seniors centers all over the place, all offering lunches for $1.50. It's a price that can't be beat, though the food itself is often of a quality some call "prison" fare. In the past, to find people to eat the stuff, some centers made payment optional. That's no longer the case.

This board is a nice place now for movie discussions and why mess with a good thing?

I won't post more archival materials and those I have posted can be deleted at the choice of JDW.

I'm sticking to posting about the 70 MM temporary revitalization, what with two films being shot, or recently shot, in one of the 70 MM processes, and Ang Lee playing with digital 120 "frames-per-second" 3-D photography. He recognizes the need for curved screens, the poverty of standard digital images at 24 fps, but can't find venues for curved-screen enhanced projection.

You guys in Los Angeles can see his new movie at the Cinerama Dome, but between there and Manhattan, the rest of the country is out of luck. The New York Times reviewer belched at Lee's 3-D 120 fps results (reviewed by A. O. Scott) and I'm not going back to wearing special glasses to see 3-D photography.

So, if you get around to driving over to the Cinerama Dome and don't mind the glasses, the headache the process can cause, and the inflated price of admission, please do review it for us. You and JDW can ask for a tour of the projection booth and inspect the new machinery, but the theater reportedly cannot handle the enhanced sound Lee put on the imagery.

Ken
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it, but do what you want.--Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not deleting anything, nor am I asking you to stop posting.

Just make a General thread, like Steve does with his reviews or we Lakers fans (and Lakers taunter Glenn) do with each Lakers season. We had 40 pages in the Lakers thread, and another 30+ pages in the 2015/16 NBA thread. People will read it when they see that there's a new post.

I like to read the Posts. I just don't want to see dozens of One-Post-Threads (or two post threads) when they can as easily be put into multi-post threads.

It's not complicated, Ken. :/
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see anything wrong with this nor is it showing you any disrespect. The clips are really cool.--Yohe
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the original Jumping Joe Savoldi defeating Ed "Strangler" Lewis at Madison Square Garden on May 22, 1933, as filmed by a Paramount Pictures's newsreel crew:

https://youtu.be/diA6eU8aKiU

Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Eighties All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: