The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kohl's; close to failing; they're selling defective repacks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Kohl's; close to failing; they're selling defective repacks Reply with quote

I bought an electrical appliance from Kohl's and it arrived opened, in a mess, and defective. Previous reviews, prior to Kohl's sales-volume collapse over the holidays, and its path to bankruptcy, were mostly five-star.

Then I started reading the *latest* reviews on their own site and most of the appliances are reported there to be arriving defective.

Talked to their customer service department located in Albania and they promised all sorts of refunds and replacements. LIES. It never happened.

Vince McMahon should quickly purchase their stores so he can sell their defective goods at wrestling matches and then turn the empty stores into wrestling halls. It'd be a lot cheaper than renting arenas such as Madison Square Garden.

"Kohl's" actually means "Shit" in Mongolian and now should in wrestling parlance. When you see a heel hit a face, yell "Kohl's" so the performers know what you mean.

Ken
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entertainment section?
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
Entertainment section?

Where else?

I'm urging the WWE to buy Kohl's, so that's entertainment. Watching the McMahons sell tee shirts with holes in them and second-hand electronics Kohl's acquired from the Salvation Army seems entertaining...

Their customer call-center in Albania is where they speak gibberish with a thick accent. That's entertaining. They lie like Donald Duck and promise replacements and free-return-shipping on defective goods and they're only kidding me, so that's entertainment.

The chain will soon go bankrupt; even shoplifters don't want any of the crap they sell. When the shoplifters boycott a chain, that's a potential movie-script.

You want the story of the local non-profit Senior Citizen's "center" that has its headquarters in a Post Office box and no physical headquarters? I can write about that; I resigned as soon as I saw how crooked they are.

They set up a "free flu shot clinic" one day last September at a local racketeering "Urgent Care" store which then billed 81 of us for Emergency medical care none of us received and scammed us and Medicare for hundreds of dollars each. All that was supposed to happen was we were to get free flu vaccinations.

Medicare covered most of the cost but I was swindled out of a fair piece of money. Medicare is so corrupt itself they don't even want to be informed about Federal crimes.

You want the story of how the kickbacks went to one or more executives of the Senior Citizens "center?"

I like to entertain, as long as I don't overstep the facts beyond the limits of honest entertainment.

Ken
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think anything can go into etc. I wouldn't call my movie reviews entertaining either. They could go into the eck section.---Yohe
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
I think anything can go into etc. I wouldn't call my movie reviews entertaining either. They could go into the eck section.---Yohe

I read this board regularly to look at your movie reviews and JDW's and Bob Morris's and others' posts on grosses a lot more than for wrestling information.

But with only about 112 registered members and thousands of visitors over time, the public access to the board is limited to four sections, none of which is "Etc."

So if I don't post in "Entertainment," except when I have a film-clip link to post, where should I post my babbling comments?

If I'm limited to posting on forums not publicly viewable, I'll stop posting, not that anyone would care.

It's JDW's decision. I can go back to posting on ballet and opera and film sites but that's a pain at times because I started attending so young that I'm often the only living person to have seen many star dancers -- particularly Soviet ones who visited the U.S. in the early 1960s for one-night-stands in theaters across America, and who knows how to use the Internet.

So other living people saw the same performances but can't post about them if they don't even have computers.

In the wrestling world, I'm just a guy who is an expert on newsreels; in the ballet world, I'm sort of a celebrity because of whom I saw in-person when I was young. When a lot of us fans (I met many straight women among the fans and used to date some of them) had no money for tickets, the promoters would allow side doors to be opened so we could sneak in for free.

No less than Sol Hurok told me sneaking in was okay by him if we really loved the arts that much and couldn't afford tickets. When he had a half-empty house at times, he'd sometimes have the great Lillian Libman of his staff walk around half an hour before curtain time handing out free tickets to people she recognized as fans.

By accident, I've had a fabulous life, and it ain't over yet, even if I can't get to Lincoln Center in the evenings any longer and I've aged-out of the collapsing newspaper business.

Ken
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a post I put up on the WCMB in the last few days (it's been warm here in my apartment so I can sit and post):

Tell you a true story: Until Jimmy Nederlander-the-elder died a few months ago, I never had to pay to attend a Broadway show at a Nederlander theater in Manhattan or anywhere. But I couldn't get back from those houses if I had to walk so I had to stop attending long ago -- for the last decade I won't go anywhere I can't walk back from because subways and bus lines sometimes suddenly shut down without notice and if Broadway is closed, I can't even get a taxi home.

For me, it was free to see the attractions even though I haven't covered the entertainment industry in decades.

I'm the reporter who, in a freelance Sunday New York Times Arts and Leisure section huge article in 1978 or 1979, wrote the first major news report on Jimmy and his theater chain. After that, he would never let me pay for tickets again. Jimmy was not comfortable being interviewed, and I sensed that, so I sat with him for three hours to get him to talk.

When he imported the Bolshoi Ballet, I asked for and received press-seats for ten of the 28 performances. The press agent went crazy at such a request but Jimmy would have fired her in a minute had she not cooperated. (This was the U.S. visit when three Bolshoi dancers defected. Since their managers had tipped me off in advance, I declined to interview any of them until after the defections.

Once, after Jimmy and his brother Joseph bought the Pantages Theatre in Los Angeles, and I was out there, I wanted to see the interior of the place, a Golden Age Art Deco palace he had converted from movies to stage-plays and musicals.

But the Pantages had no booking at that time and was closed. Were it open, I would have merely purchased the cheapest seat in the joint and walked around the theater, as it was the architecture and decor I wanted to see.

So, in an age before cell phones, I found a pay phone, got a roll of quarters and called the Nederlander office then in the Palace Theatre building in Manhattan. I asked if I could schedule a visit to the closed theater before I came back to New York.

They asked for my telephone's number and called me back in five minutes. The place is on Hollywood Boulevard which, back then, was a portable whore house and muggers' paradise. So for five minutes, I had to fight the bums off.

In New York, the Nederlander office tracked down the manager of the Pantages, told me to wait in front of the theater for half an hour, and the manager would show up and open the place for me. Jimmy had ordered him to do it, or else.

He showed up in minutes and turned on all the lights and told me I could see and photograph anything I wanted as long as I didn't go climbing the rafters on ropes.

The joint was stunning. But the point is that's how Jimmy treated people he considered his friends. All I was was a newspaper reporter who also wrote an article about him. I barely knew the man although I considered him a great person.

One night, just to give me the "rub," I'm sitting on the center aisle of a show-opening, and he's a few rows in front of me, and at intermission, he jumps up and walks to my seat, at which point he and his entourage stop as he makes small talk with me. It blocks the entire center aisle.

The people in the rows in front of me then cannot get to the bathrooms or the bar or to stretch their legs or hit the street for a smoke.

They're all stuck behind the guy whose theater it is and his crew, and some of them were really big fellows you would not want to argue with.

Several hundred people were stuck behind Jimmy for a couple of minutes, and they wanted to know if the Mayor was there or some big-shot Wall Street bank or brokerage president. It was just me and my lady, standing at our seats and gabbing over nothing special with Jimmy. He wanted to know if I liked his new show. I did. but I didn't do reviews and wasn't going to.

That's the way James M. Nederlander, who died at age 94 last year, was. All I'd done was figure out how important he was in the live-performance entertainment business and report on it before anyone else did. And I'd verified that rumors spread by competitors asserting Jimmy was using mob money to finance his business were totally false.

I spent weeks tracking down Jimmy's "bank" and it was a major West Coast operation that was as legitimate and Kosher as they come. I vouched for Jimmy to my editor at the Times.

That was my job -- report the news first. Some people, particularly the two corrupt lawyers who controlled the Shubert Organization at that time, wrongly alleged I'd been paid off to write the article. All I got was the Times's pathetic standard $150 and the copyright (other papers paid me as much as $500 for a Sunday article in the 1970s but the Times was an exploiter back then.

People magazine, on the other hand, once paid me about $10,000 for ten days' work on a cover article I only consulted on and wrote a few sentences of).

And my home paper chewed me out for freelancing for the Times, which I rarely did except to piss my editors off when I wanted a raise or some-such.

But this article I really wanted to run in the Times.

All the "Shuberts" had to do was actually read the New York Times article and they might have realized they were no longer who they thought they were, and they'd have learned the Nederlanders were the new top-men in live-attraction theaters in the U. S. And Jimmy ran the Nederlander companies and didn't know he controlled more theaters than the "Shuberts" until I counted them all.

The "Shuberts" demanded the Times retract the article. But since the facts were accurate, there was nothing to retract. They threatened to pull their advertising -- which was substantial back then at over $100,000 per page.

So the Times had someone write a short article about how nice the Shubert Organization was. They swept the streets in front of their theaters every day.

(And they kept replacing their theaters' seats with ever-smaller ones so that only midgets could sit comfortably. But because of poor raking, midgets and or short people could NOT see over the heads of those sitting in front of them.

Ken
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken---Tell us about your background as a reporter. A number of the historian types have been newspaper men. I think JMK, Luce and Hornsby were reporters, and Steve Johnson is.

Is Ridgewood part of NYC? ----Yohe
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

The Ridgewood I know of is a neighborhood in Queens County, which is part of New York City. It is close to the border with Kings County, which is better known as Brooklyn,

There used to be an auditorium named the Ridgewood Arena there and wrestling matches were televised from that place after World War II. There was also a Ridgewood movie theater at one time.

There is also a Ridgewood community in New Jersey.

Ken
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
Ken---Tell us about your background as a reporter. A number of the historian types have been newspaper men. I think JMK, Luce and Hornsby were reporters, and Steve Johnson is.

---Yohe

I think Steve Johnson took a buyout deal wherein if he retired early, he got a large bonus for each year he worked at the paper. Such events are not a reflection on the talent of the reporter/editor; more likely they reflect the buyout offer is intended to get the highest-paid people to leave so they can be replaced by female jerks earning the minimum wage.

I was offered and took two buyouts from two different publishers over the years. One of the best female reporters in history took a buyout from the New York Times on the day she turned 65 so she was immediately covered by Medicare.

If a reporter/editor/assistant publisher/publisher has a chance to grab a buyout without losing his/her medical insurance, only a fool turns a deal like that down. It's a sign the owners are slashing the staff and the next time, they may not offer any deals; just unemployment insurance, which ya get anyway with a buyout.

I don't know anything about Luce or the late Mr. Hornsby, but if they were on the Internet, I'm sure Hornsby and I and Doc would have shared memories of attending matches in New York City and the surrounding area.

Hornsby was at Madison Square Garden the night of the Great Riot when Dr. Jerry Graham bladed after Antonino Rocca smashed Graham's head into a ringpost subsequent to the end of the tag-team bout which included Dick the Bruiser and Edouard Carpentier.

Claims that Dick Afflis started the riot or was banned from wrestling in New York or was fined thousands of dollars are all bullshit. IIRC, Afflis and Carpentier were each fined $100 and Graham and Rocca were each fined $5,000. Madison Square Garden was sanctioned by having its next scheduled wrestling show cancelled by the New York State Athletic Commission.

Similar riots at St. Nicholas Arena in Manhattan caused the place to permanently lose its license to promote wrestling cards.

But I didn't attend the riot-match and Hornsby did. I don't know who Hornsby worked for as a reporter.

Ken
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there was a bunch of riots at Boxing matches & that's where the fear of P.R.s acting up came from.

I used to go to Boxing at the Olympic & I saw a couple of Mexican riots, and there were always fights going on. If a black guy beat a Mexican & then showed off....it would get them going. One night I was at one & the riot police were there hitting guys with clubs in 5 minutes. Like it was routine drill. They cleaned the place out in 10 minutes. I stood around watching it. No one bothered me. Being white the police thought I was cool & the Mexicans didn't mess with long haired hippies. Outside everyone was laughing and acting like they had a great night.

Never saw anything like that at the wrestling shows. In Texas it did seem a little rough. Terry Funk seemed to love driving them crazy.---Steve Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: