The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Orville Brown's Grandson Shows Title Belt & Photos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Orville Brown's Grandson Shows Title Belt & Photos Reply with quote

This is from the PBS series "Antiques Roadshow" and who should turn up but a grandson of Orville Brown, showing some family heirlooms including the original MWA and National Wrestling Alliance belt (turns out it was one belt that was redone). The grandson has a nice collection of photos of the original Orville Brown I've never seen, but IMO, the appraisal, considering it includes the belt, is way too low.

No date and no name for the grandson. I wonder if the belt is still in the family and if it's for sale...? Yohe, even though you're now retired and have needs like food and clothing for your family, are you interested in spending yet more money on collectables?

https://youtu.be/oSs3mU2zg-8

Ken
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew the father, the son of Orville Brown. We wrote back & forth a lot. He brought the belt to the CAC dinner a couple of times. I wrote a bio & did his record book. He sent me the photos of the car crash & it's posted at WC & in the Lewis book.

The belt originally was a Jack Pfefer light heavyweight title belt on the East coast. It became a world heavyweight title when Bobby Bruns won it. Bruns brought it to the mid-west and lost it to Brown at Kansas City on June 13, 1940. It became the KC MWA belt.

The lady knew nothing. It's worth is what someone will pay for it. In person, it doesn't look like much.....but it was the 1st NWA belt.--Steve Yohe
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, thanks for the information. Upon further examination of the footage, using a magnifier, I can see where the word "Heavyweight" is covering something, which, of course, would be "Light Heavyweight."

Fascinating to learn the original National Wrestling Alliance title-belt started as a Jack Pfefer-owned bauble and that the belt predates the 1948 NWAlliance creation.

Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Eighties All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: