The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dr. Jerry Graham Explains the Meaning of Life.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Dr. Jerry Graham Explains the Meaning of Life. Reply with quote

This 16-minute clip is from an interview taped decades ago. I'd never seen the good docta carrying enough blubber for three, but he does look like he could pass for Haystacks Calhoun, weightwise, here.

He's wrong on a lot of things, such as the myth that Dick the Bruiser was barred from wrestling in New York (Afflis was fined, IIRC, $100, by the New York State Athletic Commission and didn't even want to pay that, so if he didn't pay the fine, in theory he was barred until he coughed it up.)

I wasn't there the night of the great Madison Square Garden riot but the late Fred Hornby was and I wish I'd have telephoned him before he croaked -- and gotten an eyewitness account from a great fan and wrestling historian.

Anyway, for those who've never heard Jim Londos's most famous wrestling-student wax poetic, here it is, along with all 400 pounds of Graham:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob5EFSOeVgI

Ken
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't get the sound to work on this, but I've read & probably have seen it. Graham was great in the 50's but turned into a famous con man, drunk, head case (as in crazy) who couldn't keep a job. A mess. He got a main event at The Olympic around 1967 against Kintaro Oki. I went because he had been a famous wrestler who a lot of fans thought was very cool & great in his time. He fucking weighted 350 pound & couldn't move or hardy could stand up. Oki destroyed him in two straight falls. I remember him passing me on the way to the dressing room covered in blood. They didn't use him after that.

In the late 80's, before I met John, I went to a Alex Knight independent card in Hollywood, which wasn't too bad. At the end Graham showed up & challenged someone to a future match. He couldn't even get into the ring. Too fat to get thru the ropes.

At that time, he was hanging around LA with the young wrestlers. He was nice to everyone & was one of the last of the 50's legions, so a lot of the locals liked him. Guys like Kurt Brown (who bit me at the last CAC dinner). That's probably when this interview happened.

He always claimed he got fat because he had studied sumo in Japan & couldn't get the weight off. He was from Phoenix and in the early 1950's or late 1940's....when Londos was retired....he owned the Phoenix MSG, just to be around the wrestlers. Graham probably knew him then. Jim would work out every day until his death.

I met Jerry Graham at the CAC dinner right before he died. He was in a wheelchair. Very nice guy & seems old but normal.....but he thought he knew me from the old days...and kept bring up names. I had to tell him he didn't know me & I was just a shit kicker.

I wouldn't believe anything he had to say. He was a lot like Billy Graham...who is also very nice to talk to & be around...but full of shit.---Steve Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Eighties All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: