The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

King Kong in Cinerama; Merian C. Cooper's Grand Idea; Edited
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Newest King Kong movie set for March 10; Cooper credited. Reply with quote

Warner Bros. is scheduled to release "Kong; Skull Island" on March 10th here in the U. S. It was filmed in shitty-vision -- digital 2K and stereo sound.

It's directed by Jordan Vogt-Roberts and currently has eleven producers listed.

It's current screenwriting credits include Dan Gilroy and Max Borenstein and Derek Connolly, based upon the original story by Merian C. Cooper and (burp) Edgar Wallace.

John Gatins and Gilroy are also listed for "story" credits. All this is subject to arbitration by the Writers Guild of America, West, and about the only thing that's definitive is Cooper will get his "Original story by" credit and his estate will get paid for that.

The movie stars Samuel L. Jackson; Brie Cheese.. I mean Swiss Cheese, sorry, I mean Brie Larson; John Goodman; Terrible Toby Kebbel; John C. Reilly and a load of people I have never heard of.

It was filmed in Vietnam, Australia and Hawaii.

King Kong will live forever, which is more than I can say for almost any movie.

Ken
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Full Film Biography of Merian Cooper: "I'm King Kong&a Reply with quote

Lookie what I've found. I'm not posting this anywhere else. These two are for Yohe. It's about one hour long.

And a separate two-hour version is linked to below that.

Ken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVY7J-ub04A&feature=youtu.be

Two-hour documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfCBUxv5eFg&feature=youtu.be
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the stuff off of the blue ray & DVD.--Yohe
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
Looks like the stuff off of the blue ray & DVD.--Yohe

Probably is. I don't own a Blu-Ray player and don't collect DVDs anyway. But this is the first time I've ever found either one on a free public site. I'd never seen either of them before.

I prefer to spend my money on nice fresh fish from the Fairway super-fishmarket in their store on Broadway. The sidewalk there is so crowded with passing Broadway billionaires who will never treat anyone to anything (they only know how to steal), but Fairway seized most of the sidewalk decades ago and planted its fruits-and-vegetables stands there.

There's simply no place to stand, so I go inside and buy the fish. Microwave a half-pound salmon fillet for about 2 minutes and you have two meals fit for a king for less than the cost of a DVD. Don't even need lemon juice. When I need to gain weight, I microwave a yam first and eat that with my fish.

Going for a high fish-diet from red meat lowered my cholesterol ratio from a life-threatening nine-to-one down to 2-1/2 to one in six months. And my triglycerides level also crashed. It's more expensive than taking anti-cholesterol medication but so much safer.

My heavyweight best-buddies dating back to college both died within two years of each other from the effects of adult-onset diabetes II. We were all about the same height, but each of them weighed at least twice as much as me.

They ate a steak and ice cream for a meal every day or an entire large pizza at one sitting. The pizza guy had three separate pensions when he finally aged out of engineering and he spent it all on crappy fattening food to-the-extreme. He'd go lie down for a nap and fall asleep while eating ice cream.

I only ate ice cream once in the last decade because while it's usually cheaper than good no-fat yogurt, I was losing too much weight living on salads, and fresh salmon and Birds Eye frozen American-grown snow peas with bluefish fillets and yogurt and fresh blueberries and peaches in-season or strawberries otherwise.

That stuff tastes great -- maybe for some it takes a while to get used to -- and it's nowhere as cheap as buying sliced deli meats and making sandwiches for dinner, or eating "fast-food" from toxic restaurants like Taco Bell-Diarrhea where I'd bet they use squirrel meat, or McDonald's, but it's a lot healthier.

Since the taco 99-cent place opened half the squirrels in the nearby park have disappeared.

Ken
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken your going to live forever. I eat meat & drink cokes, so I'm not going to be around. A long as it's fast I'm cool with it.---Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know if there is no T-Rex in a King Kong movie....what good is it. So good luck to the new one.--Yohe
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
Ken your going to live forever. I eat meat & drink cokes, so I'm not going to be around. A long as it's fast I'm cool with it.---Yohe

Nope. I'll make it to a nursing home and hopefully arrange your 80th birthday party and do my best to get out to California to celebrate it. Or you can have it in Las Vegas at the Cauliflower Alley Club.

But I get no trip out west unless you're there for the party. JDW had better show up, too.

Heck, as long as your doctor says you're doing okay, eat what you want. We have an 84-year-old tenant in this building who has refused to cook for a long time now, and orders delivery of Chinese food every day. That and canned foods I get for her are all she eats, except when she gets a sandwich at Subway when she's up to walking that far.

In most of New York City, low-and-mid-price restaurants will deliver for free. Subway's nearest branch doesn't, but the nearby McDonald's does, I'm told.

(I have a couple of screenplay/TV-show-creator writer-friends who have to place their Oriental-dinner orders by telephone and then pick the food up at the restaurants themselves because, last time we chatted, they still couldn't find a restaurant to make home-deliveries in the Los Angeles-bedroom-location city they live in.)

I know what it's like to need to either get out of the house for a quiet dinner elsewhere, or not want to cook any longer. It happens to all of us seniors.

I haven't done my laundry in a couple of years now; I just keep wearing the same stuff every day...

(Kidding) -- I prefer to pay someone to do it provided they stay in the laundry-room while my stuff is being washed and dried.

We had a guy who lived here and used to steal other people's dirty, wet laundry right out of the washing machines. There was one hell of a nut-case. Anyway, he got caught.

He doesn't live here any longer. Some say he disappeared after he was evicted for non-payment of rent. Others might argue it's hard to write a rent-check after someone throws you off of the roof of a tall building. Beats me. I never caught him stealing anything, although I believed the allegations against him.

Ken
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
You know if there is no T-Rex in a King Kong movie....what good is it. So good luck to the new one.--Yohe

I think Merian Cooper had so many illegitimate children -- and he supported them all, the legend goes -- that the fee for "Original story by" credit on the new film will buy his grandkids (if he has any) a lot of cars.

Ken
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to post a correction: I saw the laundry thief steal home-delivered copies of The New York Times from right in front of apartments, though I never did see him steal laundry.

Ken
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drastically EDITED.

Since "King Kong" was invented, co written by and co-directed by Merian C. Cooper (uncredited -- on screen -- at the time) and first released in 1933, when Cooper was effectively running the film studio that financed and made the film -- RKO Radio Pictures -- there have been periodic fights once the Writers Guild of America became the arbiter of who gets official "screenplay" or "screen-story" recognition.

With such recognition comes mandatory payments, from the owners of this film, for his original screen work, even though he's long dead. His estate still exists and he has heirs.

The screenplay credits, according to the IMDB on February 23 were:

Dan Gilroy ... (screenplay) and
Max Borenstein ... (screenplay) and
Derek Connolly ... (screenplay)

John Gatins ... (story) and
Dan Gilroy ... (story)

Merian C. Cooper (original story) &
Edgar Wallace (original story)

(Wallace was a very well known novelist at that time and was hired to goose the prestige of the movie at the box office. He died after turning in his first draft of a screenplay.)

The credits have changed. As of March 2, they will read like this on the screen:

Dan Gilroy ... (screenplay) and
Max Borenstein ... (screenplay) and
Derek Connolly ... (screenplay)

John Gatins ... (story by)

I was going to attend the movie, even though it was not shot on film, but now will boycott it as a result of the new credits.

Ken
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: SKUMBAGS RIP OFF "CHINA BEACH" FOR KING KONG Reply with quote

I looked at the final cut of the trailer for the new King Kong movie and immediately realized it's a ripoff of an episode of the acclaimed TV series "China Beach," wherein the Diana Ross theme song was temporarily junked in favor of Eric Burdon and Katrina & the Waves singing "We Gotta Get Out of This Place" along with the same style of helicopters.

It's been over 25 years since the episode aired (I think in the final fourth season of "China Beach," but its surviving millions of fans are going to recognize this scumbag theft in a few seconds, if the trailer is indicative of the use of the song in the movie.

The final trailer for the Kong movie":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44LdLqgOpjo

A reconstruction of of the opening moments of the one or two "China Beach" episodes that used the song as the theme (Eric Burdon is the photographer on stage who joins Katrina in the song, but the credits are missing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l56fEGeDfwc

(I have the exceptional opening on DVD but can't upload it.)

Motherfuckering producers/directors/studio.

The softer regular opening of "China Beach" episodes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kgqlSqosNw

Ken
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: "King Kong" to be a Broadway live show. Reply with quote

Not kidding.

From today's New York Times:

"...He’s arriving a little later than anticipated, but “King Kong” is finally ready to attack Broadway.

"The producers of the big-budget, big-ape spectacle — they’re no longer describing it as a traditional musical, although it’s a stage show with a score and songs — on Wednesday said “King Kong” would arrive at the Broadway Theater in the fall of 2018..."

They ought to hire Yohe for consulting work and for good luck.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/17/theater/king-kong-broadway.html

Ken
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Khartoum in Cinerama and 70 MM Ultra Panavision Reply with quote

Here's a trailer for the last genuine single-projector original 70 MM Ultra Panavision film made, which was released 51 years ago and advertised (right on the trailer and in New York City newspaper ads) as being presented in Cinerama.

I think it's Heston's finest performance in a super-widescreen 70 MM production and when he goes head-to-head, on-screen, against the great actor Lawrence Olivier -- playing The Machti -- it's pure fire. Luckily by 1966, the theaters were all required to be fireproof.

Set your Youtube controls to "Theater mode" and, if you're watching on a computer screen, to HD at 720 resolution (higher resolution will causing buffering and belching). Alas, the deeply-curved screen is missing and necessary to realize Ultra Panavision in all its glory, but perhaps someone will develop a kit to allow our computer screens to be bent.

This is Youtube's best effort to show the ultra-widescreen nature of the Ultra Panavision 70 process, it's still not wide enough, but will do, given its earlier unavailability on Youtube.

https://youtu.be/r1IFt8cOBys

Some of the battle scenes were filmed in downtown Newark, NJ. If you are wary of that claim, ask the now-retired poster named "Doc."

Who wants a headache from looking at an out-of-focus round screen above you even when small portions were filmed in 15/70 IMAX and the rest on magnetic flypaper?

Ken
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: How the West Was Won recut leaks. Reply with quote

So I'm sitting here timing out the songs in How the West Was Won in its newest recut on Turner Classics Movies -- which measures 11 1/2 inches high by 32 inches wide (about three to one) on my TV screen. (I have a friend who claims the film is a musical.)

-- The separations between what was originally three distinct strips of 35 MM film (the original Cinerama ratio was 5 perfs vs 105 MM -- with wider images on each 35 MM strip, or 5/105 as they say in the world of IMAX).

And the visible lines between the three strips are ...GONE... in most scenes. And the cattle are moving from rear-left to front-left and then straight across the screen and down the right side. The water in the rapids of the rivers comes flowing out of the front-left-sides and down to the center. And it also comes out of the right-front-sides and similarly down the center, but now there's a puddle on my living-room floor.

If that isn't bad enough, there's an extended wagon chase and dust is now mixed in with the water, so I'll leave it to dry off before vacuuming tomorrow.

If I spoke 16-year-old, I'd urge studio executives to bring the 70 MM Ultra Panavision version of film (which this movie has been converted to) back to use.

But who listens? (I'd expect this latest revamp of the film was done by Warner Bros. labs.)

Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: