The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Serious Pro Wrestling Using Small Children; Texas in 1934

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Serious Pro Wrestling Using Small Children; Texas in 1934 Reply with quote

This amazing (to me, anyway) film clip is of two small children, obviously well-trained in the moves they do, wrestling before a Dallas, Texas crowd in an arena on April 26, 1934. They are black and their father is reported to be the man refereeing the match. The match is on a level of what I sometimes saw at Madison Square Garden in the 1950s, except no children were permitted to wrestle in New York.

The portion of the arena that can be seen is full of white attendees, as would have been normal in the South at that time. Blacks would have been forced to sit in a segregated section or banned from the arena.

(During that period, there was a chain of movie theaters throughout the South that showed films to people of dark/brown/tan/black skin-color -- who were not permitted in some major theater chains, even in potentially segregated sections.)

I had no idea children of the age apparent in the clip-link below wrestled professionally, especially at this skill-level, regardless of skin color. Was this a one-off specialty show that toured the South?

(This is the first-and-only board I've posted this on and if I want to post it elsewhere, I'll do it myself, thanks.)

What you are hearing as you watch the clip is the original Movietone soundtrack, filmed synchronized and recorded at the moment of filming on the 35 MM motion-picture film. There is no narration because this is raw footage, most of which has never been shown in public before.

Here's the link, digitized by and courtesy of the University of South Carolina, as outtakes filmed by Fox Movietone News: the first four minutes are rehearsal footage in an empty building. At the 4:08 mark, the action switches to the live arena show; enjoy:

http://mirc.sc.edu/islandora/object/usc%3A13207

Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Eighties All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: