The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yohe's Movie Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60, 61  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected.

Steve - we don't need to see that shitty movie.

;)
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a big favorite of mine, but I'll go see it again. If you want? There were a lot of people, other than Ken, who liked the movie. If Turner ever plays King Kong again, you'll have to sit thru that with me. We have more fun watching bad movies anyway. It's the other people in the theater that suffers. ---Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should have seen THE MUMMY together.....that would have been a lot of fun. So bad...yet so much to joke about. John...it had Tom Cruse in it!!!---Yohe
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Steve mentioning KING KONG, the original of which I'm a great fan of, and his having previously mentioned how many times he's seen the film so far, let me note he stirred me into watching it a few more times. And each time I notice more things I missed the first ten times around.

Being a masterpiece, as he already knows, it is long overdue to have a clean print or digital conversion, with stereo sound added (and, though this may be heresy, colorized) released to movie theaters provided they have screens larger than my TV. I'd pay to see it again in a theater with professional-quality sound and projection, and in its original 1.37 to 1 ratio and Kong larger than my refrigerator.

Since the last post made mention of the latest version of The Mummy, I note it was my refusal to join a couple of friends who are (by now, I hope it's not "were") members of the Directors Guild of America, who used to invite me to free screenings for the DGA's members in New York City at their theater. The theater they controlled, by then, was the former Walter Reade Festival on 57th Street, near Carnegie Hall, both of which are still there and in use.

It was a ritual where we first either ate a quick meal at a self-serve restaurant on 57th Street or a full dinner after the 6 PM screening. Since I favored all the places they wanted to go, that was never a problem and I never complained about Manhattan restaurant prices; heck, I was having a fun outing with nice people, good food and a free movie projected with the utmost care to screen and sound. (The theater had a large flat screen but was nonetheless equipped for 70 MM film-projection, all formats of 35 MM including 3-D, etc.) No popcorn or other food was allowed beyond the doorman, and none was sold in the theater.

We had our self-proclaimed seats, including one we roped off for coats or space since the theater had ancient-but-comfortable seats and we were three tall, large men for that era. No sane person dared sit in front of us.

Anyway, for the Brendan Frazer 1999 version of The Mummy (this post does return to the topic at hand -- The Mummy), directed by Stephen Sommers (who?), I declined to join my hosts because I wasn't a fan of mummy movies. I had also declined the previous and next invites for a screening for reasons I no longer remember, and the invites then stopped coming.

One of those fellows used to organize every-other-Saturday brunches for would-be screenwriters and that group had fallen apart because we'd sometimes have produced-screenwriters or TV writers as our guests, when they were in NYC, with the promise they would not be asked to read anyone's unsold script or anything else, or asked to recommend an agent, and crashers were starting to show up packing 500-page scripts to hand off to the unwilling professionals.

The 1999 Mummy scored some fine responses from those I knew back then who saw it and I regret not going to that screening and to the food-get-together held either before or after the film.

It was my poor judgement in not accepting the invite. At the time, when in-season, I went to the ballet or opera three-or-so times per week and movies on other evenings in theaters with screens at least the size of a city bus. (The DGA-theater's screen was not that wide, but it was the best they could do to simulate a real movie-theater, since it was one for first-run films for decades before.

I'd try to look those guys up now but I don't go out in the evenings any longer and the subway service now is beyond awful. The rats at my stop have grown larger than most Hollywoodland studio executives and continue to increase. And if tourists are eating something while waiting for a train, those rats will come and take it away from them. We now have so many tourists up here (near Columbia University) that the rats ought to eat them. There'd be more room on the sidewalks to move without being crashed into.

Ken
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the rats were just jokes on late night talk shows. NYC doesn't have cats? I've never seen a rat walking around in Montebello. Except in a pet store & I like those rats. I also like mice. Hamsters are creeps & they bite. Fuck the little assholes.

At the burn center in San Antonio Texas, I worked the night shift because the first sergeant wanted me to play basketball. They had an old shutdown kitchen & one night I found a big rat caught in a deep sink. He was a nice looking guy, so I let him out. I like animals & I don't like killing things. I thought it was funny & I told the story to the other nurses & word got out. My bosses then talked to me about infections & stuff. So I said Ok....I'll kill them. They set up traps all over the ward but mostly in that Kitchen and the offices that were empty at night. They also wanted me to save the bodies for the lab, so they could test what infections they were carrying. So I'd be sitting around reading at night & I'll hear a snap & I'd find dead rats in them...all night long. They never came near the beds or the ward...and they didn't bother me. I'd put them in a plastic bag & I would kill about 5 or 6 a night. I think one night I catch about 10 of them. Then when everyone was coming in, I'd show them my dead rat collection. They were big, but they didn't look dirty or dangerous. And they were easy to kill. The number got smaller with time.

I had forgotten those days. I used to love working at the burn center and skinning people alive. On the day shift it was like Game of Thrones. I was there for 2 1/2 years. Everyone was great to me there, and it was the closest I ever came to being a pro basketball player.

There is no telling how many times I've watched King Kong. It's in the 100's. See it in the theater 30 times. A couple of years ago a blue ray copy came out & they did a great job. Only trouble is you can see how they did the tricks. At first I really enjoyed it....then realized it wasn't a good thing. I have a color copy. Of course I liked it. At the time the picture was better than on any of the b&w copies.--Yohe
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give you my solemn word the aggressive-and-huge rats infestation in the Manhattan subways system is genuine. As for cats, these rats (not kidding) are as large as many felines, who don't make a habit of going down multiple flights of subterranean stairs to find rats many feet below ground. Actually, I've never seen a cat kill and eat a New York rat.

Regarding King Kong, we can see the artificiality of the visual effects of the movie on a 32-inch TV.

The crappy animation in the first Star Wars was obvious on the screen at Loew's now-gone Astor Plaza Theatre right off of Broadway in Manhattan, which used a blown-up 70 MM print on a huge screen. Didn't hurt that film. And the huge screen at the Roxy Theatre (New York's largest movie house) and the one at the Radio City Music Hall (second largest theater) where King Kong became the only film in history to open at both theaters on the same day, must have clearly displayed the artificial effects in the film.

One of the things that makes the original King Kong a masterpiece is that Kong becomes almost human on the screen, visible special-effects and all. It's noted in Hollywood that movies are a collaborative medium. In this case, Merian Cooper put together a collection that built his idea for a low-budget science-fiction/monster-movie into an all-time classic.

RKO Radio Pictures wouldn't even pay for color film, despite the fact that Cooper himself had helped finance the development of modern Technicolor, along with the filthy-rich Whitney cousins, whom he brought in to save the financially failing Technicolor Corporation and modern Technicolor film was ready before King Kong started production.

(Cooper's then-production-company, which was a partnership of him and several of the Whitneys, ended up producing the first full-length, non-animated three-strip Technicolor movie; "Becky Sharp," which was released two years later, by RKO. In the version of that film that's available today for viewing, the color is way too bright.)

The man who knows what he wants to find in a monster, and then creates that monster with a heart built in, comes along once in a lifetime. And that was Cooper with his creation, King Kong.

Ken
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Universal's Dark Universe May Already Be in Trouble
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we'll see how bad they fuck up the Bride of Frankenstein. I'm a huge Frankenstein fanboy, but the monster has to be the star and he has to look like & act like the Boris Koloff monster. There has been a million remakes & they all suck, because they need to recreate the Boris Koloff magic. Bride of Frankenstein is one of the greatest movies every made. People are going to jump all over it going in, if they don't get want they want from it. Really it has no chance. The Series was a bad idea to begin with. Having Dr Jeckel running things was really stupid.---Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Condon is coming off Beauty and the Beast, where he showed a lot of respect to the animated movie and drew a ton of money. Right before that he did a very respectful take on Sherlock Holmes that was also a fresh take while avoiding the modern take of the recent BBC version. Not quite the same thing as Bride, one has some faith that he could be fine as the director.

Screenplay is a question, and just how much they're wedded to the original concept of the Universe.

Wonder Woman showed a direction DC can change towards. I think they're stuck with Justice League being what it was going to be, which is part of the Zach Snyder DC Murderverse. Whedon might try to soften it up, but they were too deep into production and locked into that release date later this year that there's only so much they can change. I really hate the trailers. But... after Justice League, the success of Wonder Woman shows that they can shift course in the DCU away from the bullshit of Snyder into something else.

Universal might have a chance with Bride to do that with the UDU. Not sold that they can... but who knows.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got moving and saw ATOMIC BLONDE last night. For what it was, I was very impressed with it. It's a stunt film, but it's a Ok spy film too. The fights are very well done. The style, with hand held shots, and the pacing, is the type thing I usually rag on, but this really worked. Having a woman involved added a lot of drama to it. Sat on the edge of my chair watching it. The film also has a interesting spy plot based around the fall of East Berlin. It a fantasy film, but serous & is character driven. Has two sided bad guys. Charlize Theron, as you would expect, eats it up. But she is no superhero or James Bond. He gets double crossed and beat up all thru the movie, and every blow shows a bruise on her body. She gives out and takes more punishment that you can believe. By the end, she is so beat up it's beyond believe, but it's also realistic. She seems to be doing he own stunts. The camera work, music, direction, acting is all great. So I liked it....I don't know about the twist at the end. And some of the basic plot you've seem in other spy films, that were better. So I give it a "B". If it got respected by fans & became a cult film, it might be higher than that. The fight scenes do generate drama, and it's better than a John Wick movie. The director is doing the next Deadpool movie.---Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things are slow....the only film I'm really interested in is WIND RIVER...which is Taylor Sheridan's follow up to HELL OR HIGH WATER. He even had Chris Pine set to star, but he dropped out to make Wonder Woman. So now it has Jeremy Renner in the part. It's only playing in two theaters now, and have no idea if it going to go wide. I might drive to Hollywood next week if the thought returns to me & it stays around.---Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw WIND RIVER last week. Very good action film. A fitting follow up to HELL OR HIGH WATER. Taylor Sheridan writes & directs, and he seems to be the new star of intelligent action movies. But better than most of the old greats. Kind of a Walter Hill & Peckinpal. Someone I will be following thru his career. It's a police mystery that takes place on a freezing Indian reservation in Wyoming. Jeremy Renner plays a hunter who adds a FBI agent Elizabeth Olsen, who like a Jodie Foster is out of her environment & over her head dealing with the Indian culture of 2017, but proves herself. Chris Pine was going to star but dropped out to make Wonder Woman, and he would had killed this part. Renner is solid & a good actor, but he lacks the star thing & I keep thinking about Pine. An Indian leading man might had been more realistic to the part, if one could be found. Graham Greene is great in it. This film is well written, directed, acted...and everything works. There is a big shoot out at the end. Everyone should see it. It looks like a major film & it only costs 11 mil to make. Not as good as HELL OR HIGH WATER but very satisfying. ***3/4.

I'm unhappy about the release of this film...playing the art houses. This is a pure action film with some social stuff mixed in. The studio should have taken a chance with it & put it in theaters. High level film students can see the art & skill in it, but I think this is a movie that could catch on with the average or ever meat-headed movie goers of today. It only cost 11 mil. Even if it bombed it would make more money that the way there going. It probably needed a major star, instead of two guys from the Avengers. With a McQueen or a Newman or even a Eastwood....it would be considered a classic.

I'm going back to the star system. I think it says more.---Steve Yohe
guren

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, do you plan to see "Patti Cake$" in the future? Based on the reviews I've read, it sounds like the type of film I'd like and I'm looking forward to whenever it will be available for download over here. "The Hitman's Bodyguard" and "Logan Lucky" also seem worth watching.

glenn
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky & the Bodyguard movies I'll see. Soon maybe.

Patti Cake$ I'm going to miss. By a mile or more.--Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOGAN LUCKY is a comedy caper film. It's more fun than funny, and it was 2/3 done before I realized it was working. It takes place mostly in West Virginia and everyone had a accent. All the big stars seemed to have put on a lot of weight to fit in with the culture. It opened like it was put down on the South, and everyone was stupid, but then they do a very sophisticated robbery, which shows they couldn't be. Ends up kind of a tribute to the state. None of it is believable but your supposed to just go along with it. By the end, I enjoyed the film & there was more to it than I thought. Very much a Steven Soderbergh film & I like his movies. Acting is good, and it's well made. Daniel Craig is in it a lot, but he doesn't seem like Bond in any way. Tatun & Driver are very good together. There are no real bad guys in the movie, the characters are honorable people and you like them at the end. I think it's a ***. It's the kind of movie that grows on you. Soderbergh made the film without a studio backing it.

I think that Steven Soderbergh is more Frank Capra than Coen Brother, and should try to make a MEET JOHN DOE type film.---Steve Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60, 61  Next
Page 59 of 61

Jump to: