The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2017/2018 Futbol Thread

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: 2017/2018 Futbol Thread Reply with quote

New thread. I need to get my shit together on transfers since there looks to be a lot of action already. :)
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the signing of Matic. We've long needed to sign Carrick's successor. I had hoped it would have been several years ago so the player could develop and be younger. But that didn't happen, so a 29 year old Matic is at least a plug for several years while they hopefully look to develop something long term.

Pogba of course has to play. Mou seems to like Herrera quite a bit. I hope that we see a good deal of 4-3-3 with Pogba-Matic-Herrera, as Matic sitting deep will free up Pogba and Ander to push up. Ander has a great deal of positional awareness and a commitment to do his share of defense and getting back. Pogba isn't a bad defensive player, but a 4-2-3-1 ask more defensive focus out of him than you want. I think he's better in a 3 man midfield. Frankly... he would be perfect for Barca with Basquets sitting behind him... just don't tell Anti-Barca Mou about that, as he might stick to 4-2-3-1 just to spite anyone thinking he might play like Barca. :P

The team player a ton of 4-2-3-1 in the preseason, with a lot of Mkhitaryan playing in the #10 spot behind the striker. He is dynamic in that role, though I think he also shows flashes of being dynamic out wide if we play 4-3-3.

I think what I want most is flexibility, both of the roster and of the manager. There are teams where we can play 4-2-3-1, and should be teams where we should play 4-3-3 where you want a firmer midfield. There are probably times where he would want to play a 4-5-1 that transitions into 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 in counterattack. Mou loves to counterattck, but he needs to be aware that there are going to be a lot of games where United's superior talent means we have the ball most of the game and just aren't going to want to set up to counter.

I think this roster has more flexibility than last year, even if we've made only minor changes so far. We'll see.
Midline Shift

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This season sucks already. 3-0 down to freaking Burnley at halftime, at home, playing a man down. Yikes.

Next up - Spurs, followed by Everton, Leicester, and Arsenal. This could get ugly fast, just like 2015-16.

Ugh.

Simon
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a great weekend of futbol. Even Barca playing for crap post-Neymar couldn't ruin it. :)
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spurs vs Blues on Sunday should be fun.

United is at Swansea. We need to keep getting 3 points. :)
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

United looked good.

Chelsea looked good.

Pool looked good.

Gunners looked awful, and were wildly entertaining in their awfulness. :)
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Arsenal Are Who We Thought They Were"
http://deadspin.com/arsenal-are-who-we-thought-they-were-1798499450

:)
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good start to the Jobber Cup. :)

We have Swansea in the next round. Chelsea-Everton looks like the match of the round.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: