The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mae Young out on the town, having fun, 1949 style

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Mae Young out on the town, having fun, 1949 style Reply with quote

WRESTLER MAE YOUNG AGAIN ACCUSED BY A MAN VICTIM
(United Press, Saturday, April 30, 1949)

RENO, Nev. – A husky lady wrestler admitted today that her second male victim in four months may have been beaten "a little" but said she had to repel his advances.

Her opponent, Elmer J. Nelson, 38 years old, of North Platte, Nebeat, and San Francisco, went to a hospital. He also claimed his $100 bill was gone.

Miss Johnnie Mae Young, the lady middleweight, conceded having a "minor" tussle with Nelson. She was arrested yesterday with a petite companion, Mary Anise Huse, 22, of Mobile, Ala., a photographer and waitress.

Both denied knowing anything about Nelson's money. It was different about the beating.

"Maybe I did work Mr. Nelson over a little," the 28-year-old Oakland, Cal., wrestler confessed. "He made advances to me. Improper advances."

It was the same explanation Miss Young, Miss Huse and a third girl, Eva McDevitt, gave several months ago when they were arrested for beating up Salvadore Manriquez of Sacramento, Cal.

Manriquez was found wandering in the snow north of Reno with "several hundred dollars" and his automobile missing. He accused the three women, now at liberty on bail, of slugging and robbing him.

Through puffed lips, Nelson told police he came to Reno to do a "little gambling." He got into a conversation with Miss Huse in a restaurant.

"I told her I had a little money from the sale of some property. She then said she had a friend – 'a very nice girl' – she wanted me to meet," Nelson said. The girl was Miss Young.

Nelson said he cashed travelers checks for $260 and they made a tour of Reno's nightspots. When the money dwindled to $100, he announced his intention of quitting.

Miss Young, however, said the money should be spent and the bartender agreed with her, Nelson said. He could not remember what bar they were in at the time.

"The next thing I knew I was on the floor with the bartender and another man on top of me and Miss Young kicking me in the face."
++++

Research by JMK...I couldn't resist posting it.--Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More on Mae baby from JMK:

WISE OWL By Gene Sullivan
(St. Joseph MO News-Press, Friday, March 16, 1945)

When Elviry Snodgrass got through talking the other afternoon about her encounter with a fan in a St. Joseph hotel elevator, Ann LaVerne, Elviry's team match partner, told of some of the experiences she has had with cash customers who want to take a hand in the milling.

"Nashville, Tenn., is the roughest town in the country on wrestlers," Miss LaVerne said. "The fans down there have a cute habit of throwing bottles. There isn't a wrestler who has been in there who hasn't been cut some time. Another night down there a fan threw a lighted cigaret and it went down the front of his tights."

Mae Young got into trouble in Little Rock one night, Elviry recalled, not without some glee because the gals don't like each other. They never speak outside the ring. "Young is a natural roughneck," Elviry said by way of prelude to the story. "This night in Little Rock she said something to a man fan and he kicked her in the face. Then Mae took him. His wife came to his assistance and Young sent both of them to the hospital. " The aftermath was a trip to the jailhouse for Mae and a fine.

Mrs. Snodgrass carries a scar from a run-in with a fan at Lynn, Mass. This customer waited his chance and then ground the business end of a cigar butt into Elviry's thigh. She is still looking for the guy.
++++
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Don Luce:

WRESTLER’S FIVE LIONS DISTURB MOVIE PATRONS
Baton Rouge Advocate, December 20, 1951

Rockford, IL. (UP) ---Rockford sighed relief recently at the departure of a woman wrestler and her five lions.

The lions had been disturbing movie patrons at the Palace theater.

Mrs. Gladys “Killem” Gillem, a former wrestling champ, said she was glad to get out of town. “Nobody here loved my lions,” she said.

Mrs. Gillem brought her five lions---Tarzan, Fatima, Satima, Sheba and Princess---here last week for a three-day engagement at the Palace.

Tarzan, a 500-pounder, appeared too dangerous for a stage appearance so he was left in a truck in a parking lot.

Mrs. Gillem hired industrial movers to hoist the cages of the other four backstage at the palace. Her show went smoothly until the run ended. Then Mrs. Gillem found that she had to pay movers again to get her lions out. She balked.

Monday and yesterday the lions lolled in their cages while a murder mystery played on the screen. “They roared like hell,” said theater manager Ed Maynard. “It disturbed the patrons.”

Mrs. Gillem stuck to her guns until her food bills for the lions started to mount. They were eating 40 pounds of meat a day. So she gave in and paid to get her lions out of the theater.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIRL WRESTLER AT 15, HUNT MA

Somerville police last night obtained a warrant charging a professional woman wrestler with neglect after her daughter, a pert 15-year-old blonde revealed she had been wrestling for the past year.

Although she is recuperating from an appendectomy, the girl, Mary Carroll, 15, who has wrestled under the names of Pat Sherry and Ruth Ryan, told Det. Lt. Thomas J. O’Brien her mother expected her to be in Washington today for further matches.

Lt. O’Brien obtained the warrant against Mrs. Lillian Pino, known professionally as Slave Girl Moolah, after two Somerville physicians ordered the young girl not to indulge in strenuous exercise for at least a year.

WRESTLED HERE

The girl according to police, had appeared on bills with her mother and step-father. She wrestled in Newton, Attleboro, Springfield, and at the Boston Arena.

Lt. O’Brien, said the girl’s mother called last night from West Virginia and told her to take a plane to Washington where she was to appear.

WANTS TO QUIT

Now staying with friends on Willow ave., Somerville, the girl who was operated on at Somerville hospital, Aug. 27, says she does not want to continue wrestling.

She has been licensed to wrestle in North Carolina and in Maryland. Lt. O’Brien said there was not sufficient legislation here to bar minors from such contests.—Boston Daily Record—November 22, 1956
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Eighties All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: