The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2017 L.A. Dogers = G. S. Warriors of MLB

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: 2017 L.A. Dogers = G. S. Warriors of MLB Reply with quote

Being a retired guy, two years ago I started acting like a retired guy by starting to watch Dodger baseball every night on TV. It's takes 3 to 4 hours every night, but I do it, because what else is left in life.

I didn't play baseball as a kid, but I took a class on it in collage because I was a PE major. I'm just a fan & not a expert or ex-player. I also had to take dance classes, got a A... & I can't dance.

Last year's Dodger team was my favorite sports team of all time. I liked everything about it & everyone on the team. It was a great year.

Then this year the same team, with a few changes, starts up.. and they are the greatest sports team I've ever followed. Every decision by the front office, and every move by the manager has worked. It's a system, that every team in baseball will be trying to copy. It's state of the art baseball... played with character by everyone on the team.

At the moment they have won 43 games of the last 50....or something like that. Today again the Mets, they gave up 3 homeruns in the 1st....and were hitless in the 5th & shut out in the 6th....and then hit 6 homeruns to win 7 to 3. Just another day at work.

Just thought someone should say something at tOA. They are not a "hot" team. They are just being them selfies.

John....go a head & fact check this.---Steve Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They need to win a title before they're the Warriors. Otherwise they're the 2001 Seattle Mariners. Even one title isn't the Warriors, as we found out last year when people had their fun with the Warriors losing in the final.

They're very similar to last year's Cubs. Extremely strong pitching and good offense. Similar front office, similar strong minor league system, and some smart trades.

One needs to give the front office a lot of credit for not listening to people who have been telling them to trade Seager, Bellinger and other prospects over the past handful of seasons to Win Now. Seager is a generational player. Who knows what the real Bellinger is, but he's young to the point that even if he falls off in the second half (as he has), he still has room to grow.

This is a terrific team.

They're not the 1998 Yankees, which was both a terrific and deep offense along with a terrific and deep pitching staff. They also cruised to their second world title in three years, and then made it three straight over the next two seasons while getting older and declining.

I hate to say that, as I don't like the Yankees, and enjoyed the hell out of the Braves of that era. But those Yanks were the best one season MLB team of my lifetime.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'ii see....but I don't really care if they don't win the title. It's a crap shoot. Wouldn't bet against them this year or in the years a head.--Yohe
guren

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say a few things about the Dodgers, as they have contributed to countless nightmares over the past few years.

First, I miss the McCourts. The McCourts owning the Dodgers felt like the dreaded Chris Cohan era of the Warriors. I miss the Parking Lot Attendant (T.J. Simers, not so much).

Obviously the front office of Stan Kasten, Andrew Friedman, Farhan Zaidi et al. deserves a ton of credit. They are an extremely smart group that has the golden touch for everything - the draft, trades, player development, etc. Dave Roberts, though, probably deserves a lot of credit himself. I say "probably" because a manager's value is only partially reflected by his game day moves. That said, Roberts is now 169-104 since taking over, and by all appearances he has fostered a positive chemistry in the clubhouse.

Another noteworthy item of the Dodgers' season is the depth of their contributions. Pretty much every one on their roster is having at least a better than average year, and in several cases a career year. Sergio Romo was one of the very few under-performers, and the Dodgers were able to let him go and replace him with an upgrade. Logan Forsythe has rebounded after a poor start. AGon has done the Dodgers a favor and become Wally Pip. Otherwise, there have been no holes in the lineup or the pitching staff.

Contrast the Dodgers with the Giants. The only Giant who has had an above average year has been Buster Posey. Other than Posey, there really haven't been any significant bright spots. Hunter Pence, Brandon Crawford, and Matt Moore in particular have been awful, and third base and left field have been huge negatives.

If I weren't from Northern California, the Dodgers would be an easy team to root for. They have a great organization, a wonderful mix of veterans and exciting young studs, a still-loaded farm system, and endless resources. I would be very surprised if they weren't World Series contenders for the next 10+ years.

Fortunately, as Steve mentioned, the playoffs are a crap shoot and the best team doesn't always win (see 2010, 2012, 2014). So there is that. Opening day of the NBA can't come soon enough.

glenn
guren

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though their season is a hot steaming pile of suck, at least the Giants have a talented writer covering them. Grant Brisbee speaks for the rest of us sad, pathetic, and spiteful looser fans in this article.

Ranking the funniest ways the Dodgers can fail in the postseason

glenn
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

81--33......48 games over .500.
guren

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dubs of the last few years never lost 11 of 12. ;-)

Hey, I need to be happy now since I'll be crying in October when the Dodgers have their parade.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I hadn't started this post. They aren't GS of MLB. But in the playoffs, it's rolling dice.---Yohe
guren

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least the Dodgers have Kershaw going tonight...

;-)
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah--A sure thing.--Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After losing 11 in a row, the Dodgers won a game last night.--Yohe
guren

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"In a year that has been so improbable, the impossible has happened!"

-- Andy McCullough, L.A. Times Dodgers beat writer, on Twitter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: