The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did Londos Win the World's Lightheavyweight Title in 1920?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Did Londos Win the World's Lightheavyweight Title in 1920? Reply with quote

Steve,

I have your two volume Londos Record Book somewhere buried under the massive load of paper towels that fell off a truck near my home but can't find it this weekend. Sorry.

There may be silent film of Londos beating widely-recognized champ Ad Santel in San Francisco in mid-September of 1920 a couple of weeks after this California promo footage below -- which you all have seen-- in two straight falls. Was it recognized as a Londos title?

Original footage courtesy of the University of South Carolina and the Fox News Company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh3aKW3v4wc&t=82s

Thanks.

Ken
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

08/17/20 Santel beat Londos 2-0 with pins in both

9/13/20 Londos won the catch-weight rematch

Londos was a claimant going into the first.
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information, John.

When Kit Bauman's final version of "Hooker" was published several years ago, I bought a few extra copies for friends and then misplaced them. I finally found one last week and mailed it to Doc. He only had to wait nine years and had probably bought his own copy long ago.

Ken
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londos lost a version of the LHC (185 pounds) to Santel in straight fall. Londos had been called LHC for most of his career but never defended it. Londos stated that he couldn't beat Santel at 185, so the rematch was non-title and Jim beat him.---Yohe

From the time line project:

July 26 San Francisco, CA: Joe Carroll, former manager of Frank Gotch, and then manager of Marin Plestina, wrote a letter to the San Francisco Chronicle exposing future storylines in the city. Says the “tip” in Chicago is that Jim Londos was returning and that he would be put over Ad Santel as the top local wrestler. Say Santel had easily lost to Stecher and lost his heat, and Londos would draw better against Wladek Zbyszko, Caddock, and Lewis who were being brought in. Carroll offered promoter, Frank Schuler, $250 if he can get his wrestler Plestina a match with Londos and offered a side bet to Londos of $1,000 and another $1,000 for every fall he wins from Marin.. Says Londos will create a lot of excuses to not meet Plestina because Londos was yellow and wouldn’t dare near anyone on the level. Says Londos was going to beat Santel, even before the match was booked. Carroll, forced out of big time pro wrestling, was writing these letter in the hope of harming Jack Curley his old enemy.

Aug. 13 San Francisco, CA: With the Londos/Santel match set for Aug. 17, the talk around the city is now much money was being bet on Londos to win by Greek supporters. The two wrestlers and the promoter, Frank Schuler, made the request that there should be no betting, thinking it was a bad thing for the game. Schuler thought that gambling should be eliminated. But there was no stopping betting unless the referee made announcement in the ring that all bets were off. But that raised suspicions that something was wrong and the promoter wasn't going to allow it.

Aug. 17 San Francisco Civic Auditorium, San Francisco, CA: Ad Santel decisively defeated Jim Londos in two straight falls to win the World Light Heavyweight Championship. Both falls were a result of Santel's leg scissor. The 1st fall came only after 2:27:35, with Londos looking the winner on points right up to his submission. Londos was a badly cripped man in the 2nd and was unable to use his left arm. Santel clamped his leg hold on the arm and Londos submitted in 12:38. It was said to have been a spectacular finale to a good match. The auditorium was sold out with a gate of $10,600. Londos' purse was said to be $2,800 and the winner Santel made $5,200. Londos had been claiming this version of the World Light Heavyweight title almost from day one of his career. I believe this is where Santel's long time claim came from. You wonder how much Joe Carrroll's letter played in the result and how much money was made by gamblers by Londos' loss.

Aug. 18 San Francisco, CA: Promoter Frank Schuler claimed he was trying to get Earl Caddock to meet Santel at the Auditorium. Ad says the match had to take place before Sept. 10, because he was booked for a trip to Japan on that date. Londos said the weight limit was too low for the match, and seemed to say he'd never wrestle as a light heavyweight again. The weight limit for the
match was 182 pounds, for the Eklund title it was 175 pounds.

Sept. 13 Covic Auditorium, San Francisco, CA: Jim Londos defeated Ad Santel two falls to one in a non- title match. The first fall was dominated by Santel, with Londos on the defense breaking holds, but at 1:57:45 Londos got Ad into a double arm scissors for the pin. Santel came back in a fury and put Londos in a arm scissor for a submission. In the 3rd Londos got a weaken Santel into a body scissor and full nelson. Santel seem to be unable to breath and submitted at 11:43. Santel struggled to his feet but was groggy. He was put into a chair where he collapsed. It was 10 minutes before he recovered. The match was at catch weight. Santel (181 pounds) wanted to prove he could beat Londos (191 pounds) at any weright, but failed. Referee was Charlie Andrews. Promoter was Frank Schuler.
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, is your "Timeline" project going to be finished sometime before the end of the world (or even sooner) so that us older guys can read it while we still have some few brain cells left?

Is there a target date? If you publish it, I'll buy it as long as I'm still aware that Londos was not the star ballet dancer with the Ballet Russes, and, candidly, I may dye my hair orange and gain a hundred pounds. Then I can pass for Darnold Duck; never pay my bills, chase women young enough to be my daughter-or-granddaughter and spew even more hot air than I do now. I hope you don't use the same publisher as last time.

Ken
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work on it every day. A couple of hours...at least. It's supposed to be the complete history. Fuck...who knows it I'll ever finish or if it has any worth. I spent the week going over the St Louis war & the beginning of the NWA (Alliance) is next. 750 pages. It gives me something to do in my old age, besides waiting for the end of GAME OF THRONES. I'm such a limited writer that it has to suck. I may run into a block when I hit the 1970's.

When you get to the point of being near death, let me know & I'll email it to you.---Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Eighties All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: