The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Disney Blocks Pre-Screenings to LA Times: Wash Post Yowler.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Disney Blocks Pre-Screenings to LA Times: Wash Post Yowler. Reply with quote

So Disney and its movies operations have banned The Los Angeles Times from attending reviewer screenings, which are typically held one or more days in advance of their movies' debuts. The reason given by Dizzy is that The Times had a recent investigation into some of the Dizzy theme parks' and other Anaheim, CA-based business that might be too cozy with local officials and were getting all sorts of special tax breaks, etc.

Duzzy is pissed off but is going wacko. Does anyone really think there will be an indictment or two as a result of The LA Times investigation? I don't.

Because too many critics need an entire day to write a review (I could do it in 30 minutes and did when I had to), that means there will be no Los Angeles Times review of new Dizzy films on the day they officially open.

Now a freelancer for The Washington Post has written that she won't review Duzzy movies in advance, in unity with her friends in California. Except she is not The Post's main critic, so who cares?

Let's see what happens:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act-four/wp/2017/11/06/why-i-wont-be-reviewing-the-last-jedi-or-any-other-disney-movie-in-advance/

One major problem I see is some of this reflects the LA Times's half-century-long stingy policy of closing their Entertainment section ("putting it to bed") and going home at 5 PM the day before the paper is published.

If a Ditzy Dissy movie opens the night before it's official release date, as movies now often do, ya go see the film at 9 PM and write the review so its finished before midnight. Then it makes the next morning's paper.

No one in New York City, anyway, can bar a critic from attending a performance for which the critic has purchased a ticket and behaves quietly.
It may also be true in Los Angeles, or they can send their reviewer to New York and, what with the time delay, have the review in by 9 PM the night before.

And people are worried about war with North Korea... All that North Korean lunatic wants is a lifetime free ticket to DoozieLand and and a couple of dozen American whores.

Ken
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Times movie critics wrote yesterday that he liked to go to the actual movie theater at least once a year, so he could get the feel of eating popcorn with the every day movie fans.

Disney really has a sweet heart deal with the city of Anaheim & it seems most of the city council is paid off. The Times should keep working them over.

Not giving pre-screenings of a movie usually means the film stinks & the studio doesn't want the news out. Disney is just giving up some good PR.

Disney used to screw with us anti-war hippies back in the day. Wouldn't let long hairs in their park. So I say fuck them. Walt was a asshole.---Steve Yohe
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disney had a 'shit hemorrhage' today when The New York Times and a bunch of associations of film-critics decided to join The Los Angeles Times -- in solidarity -- and refused to attend advance-screenings of Dutzy Filums as long as The Los Angeles Times was banned.

Rumors were around that the owner of the Golden Globes, the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, was considering some sort of reaction to the Doozy company's move.

And that is a long-proven way to take care of such absurdities as Dizzy's. Doozy immediately ended its ban on The Los Angeles Times since they would thus no longer get an opening-day review in the New York-named paper.

Much ado about crazy hippie-haters, Igers, press agents and other fools.

Iger is being mentioned about running for President in a future election. That's a disheartening thought. Let's see what color he dies his hair if he runs.

Ken
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad people stood up for what was right.----Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what Disney was pissed off about:

http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-fi-disney-anaheim-deals
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the newspaper link, John.

Disney goes on my trash list for having mistreated Steve, regardless of when.

Hard to believe it was Bob Iger himself who banned the LA Times but anything is possible if he thinks he's the next orange-haired wacko.

My best buddy from college ended up owning and sometimes even living in a ranch house in Anaheim. I used to stay at a nearby Motel 6 when I came out there to visit; it was less than $10 per-night and if you wanted a wake-up call they'd hand you a wind-up alarm clock. But you had to leave a deposit on the clock. TV was black-and-white and ran on quarters.

By then my pal was supporting four children by his first and second wife. He started eating entire take-out pizzas for dinner and drinking sugared soda. That was the start of the destruction of his health as he put on the weight. His second wife wouldn't cook or clean or wash the dishes. She stayed home taking care of a disabled daughter.

He'd sneak me into Ditzyland, where he'd go every night after work, and we'd walk around mostly looking at lines of people waiting...

...and waiting. I thought Knott's Berry Farm was owned by Wild Red Berry.

My pal died a few years ago of the effects of Type II diabetes. The guy had gone on to get an MBA degree and still failed to follow reasonable eating practices -- and he could afford to eat protein, vegetables and fruit.

Duzzyland should be required to sell only fresh milk and boiled broccoli florets. And coffee or tea. (They, however, had nothing to do with his failure to adhere to common-sense, necessary dietary habits.)

Ken
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Did LA Times Suck Disney's Stick? Reply with quote

Is this a photo of a bum who was sleeping in a corridor of the Rio Hondo or Rio Roacho Rivers recently? Or is it the image of the clown who the Los Angeles Times's ruler -- the company that owns the Chicago Tribune -- hired as editor-in-chief of the California paper and the duck who made peace with the Walt Disney Company after the paper's critics were banned from pre-screenings of Disney movies:

His name is allegedly Lewis D'Vorkin. Not kidding. The guy looks like an embalmed corpse. What's in his brain-pan? Willis O'Brien would know...

The paper's staff, according to the New York Times, has been ordered to avoid referring to its major investigation of Disney's bribery of Anaheim government officials over the years -- the home of DummyLand. I wonder if any additional investigative reporting of consequence will be done by the LA Times now that it is totally dedicated to $20 gold pieces:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/13/business/media/disney-ban-los-angeles-times.html?hpw&rref=business&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well&_r=0

Judge Roy Moore, after the backwoods goat-suckers in Alabama elect him to the Senate and that body refuses to seat him, will perhaps join the Los Angeles paper as the statue to be placed in the lobby of their office building until they relocate in Chicago -- and then he will stay in LA on a platform above the La Brea Tar Pits.

These are exciting times to be alive and a working reporter. Wish I were 30 years younger. I live in a concrete and reinforced steel building and a nice fallout shelter exists in the basement. We're 100 feet above sea level and underground springs that predate civilization's arrival here run nearby.

All I need is a truckload of cans of Campbell's Chunky Split Pea & Ham Soup.

Meanwhile, don't send me any because I have no place to store it now, pending the sale of all the paper towel-rolls obtained from Darnold Duck's Puerto Rican giveaway. Betcha the Puerto Ricans, whom I doubt care for chunky split-pea and petrified ham-colored stones, but could at least eat that stuff, would have preferred even cans of that to Bounty towels. (The trick is to swallow the little chunks of ham-colored stuff without chewing it and breaking a tooth.)

Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: