The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SciFi Movie Milestones in 2018

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: SciFi Movie Milestones in 2018 Reply with quote

Didn't know where else to put this, so I just created a new thread for this article in which Germain Lussier goes over some notable sci-fi (or sort of sci-fi) films that will reach certain milestones in 2018.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-biggest-scifi-movie-milestones-of-2018-1821785991

The 50th anniversary films are perhaps the most notable, in which there are at least a couple of films that might be considered among the best films of all time.

2001: A Space Odyssey still holds up well even if some of the innovations in the film are dated. I may need to sit down and do a more extensive review of the film on my blog and why it works.

Planet of the Apes remains a significant film and it's particularly interesting to watch in when knowing more about the background of those involved with the film at the time it was released. A lot of stuff that was directly based off the McCarthy hearings and touched more upon race relations than people may have realized.

I bought the full Planet of the Apes set on Blu-Ray when they were selling it in the months leading up to the most recent Apes film. Maybe I need to review them all. The first one still holds up well, though it's a mixed bag for the others in the original series.

Night of the Living Dead launched the modern zombie genre and had more social commentary than people may have first realized.

Yellow Submarine is a film I haven't watched in a long time, though it did come out when The Beatles were at the height of their careers.

There's more covered in Lussier's article.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What could you do with 2001?? They did 2010 & it bombed. Nobody understood the 2001. You couldn't get away with that today.---Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: