The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Star Wars Spoilers Thread SPOILERS HERE ONLY
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the movie three times in theaters.....and last week I spent a night watching the Blue Ray. A good friend of mine....an old guy. Had watched it & talked to me about it. He hated it. Mostly any plot involving Luke & Fisher.

I'm accepting what they (mainly Johnson) did with it. I think it has major pacing & editing problems. Mostly any of the island stuff just drags & everything about Luke bores the shit out of me.

But watching it, I can see why some people liked it. Some of the things I disliked, were because I had already passed judgement on the movie. And it plays better on TV. The fight in the throne room between Rey & Kylo and Snoke's body guards is actually very good. In fact, I don't know how they did it. So good stunt work, but I don't think that's Johnson's department.

Still killing off of the main heal Snoke was terrible....but I think he'll be back in one of the movie down the line. He might even be in the Han Solo movie. They'll reveal his past then. On the DVD, Johnson avoids Snoke's history...so I think he'll be the major heel in one of their off shoots of the Star War movies.

Going in...there was two things I wanted out of the movie...I wanted to find out Snoke's history, and I wanted to learn more about Rey's parents. (Not all, just enough to tease what was going to be resolved in #9) The stuff made up about Rey waiting alone on a planet for her people to return...made her...in my eyes...idealistic. I liked that. But this movie just threw all of that storyline away. Like it was too complicated, so we'll just past over it.

Johnson seem to be a hog & wanted everything in his movie, because nothing is saved for #9. The war is pretty much over...for both sides...Luke is dead...Rey will never be a true Jedi. Han is dead, Luke is dead (with a huge opening for a return), and Lea is really dead. I think Lea was supposed to be the driver of the ship that crashs into the Snoke's ship....but the producers wanted one of the Lucas characters saved for #9...so Johnson had to create another rebel leader to die. I think there was other limits put on Johnson...like Snoke's history & Ray's mother & father.

Kylo was turned back & forth...so now that's all he can be... a weak heel, who makes stupid decisions & gets his ass kicked by girls. He can never become the face...like Vader in #3. Hux is just comic relief in the movie.

Johnson tried to take everything for his movie. There is no reason for #9.

J. J. Abrams & Kasdam will be doing the last one....they are traditionists...and will be fixing up the Johnson stuff. The introducing of the idea of the Jedi being the real problem thru out history, will be dumped & the whole movie will be fixed...so they can have a happy group shot at the end of #9....with all the dead characters waving good bye to the fans. You see "No one ever really dies" in the Star War world.

I was a big fan of the first two movie.. years ago.....but Return Of The Jedi was terrible & also a mess like The Last Jedi. So I wrote it off then.

I guarantee there will be more Jedi's & they will be good guys.---Steve Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our company had a "May The 4th Be With You" day on Friday. We've done it the last three years, each time showing the new Star Wars movie across an extended lunch time.

I try to schedule my break to catch the last hour of the movie. Timed it pretty much perfectly and got down there when Kylo brought Rey to Snoke.

"You had no place in this story... You come from nothing." remains one of my favorite lines in the entire sage of Star Wars movies.

Still love the run to the finish. Killing Snoke, that line, the Dark Side Blue Balls moment, the awesome Holdo Maneuver, Luke and Leia's moment, Luke vs Kylo, awesome touches like seeing the Falcon's shadow before we actually see the Flacon, Rey's moment lifting the stones, Luke's sacrafice while letting Kylo know he'll see him around... just a really fab run to the finish.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:
One other interesting thing about this is that there is 0.00% of it devoted to Jedi stuff. Even Rogue One had Jedi stuff with Vader.

Note - spoiler on that point in the Star Wars spoiler thread.

Maul technically isn't a Jedi, but one of the Sith Lords.

His surviving the chopped in half by Obi Wan is something that already happened in the animated series where he survived, got robotic legs, became a Crime Lord, and played a fairly big role in the two series. For people who invested time in the animated series, this is a pretty massive tip of the cap to them - they didn't waste time watching something that was completely blown off by the movies, but instead something that's being treated with some respect.

Maul has some interesting and important byplay with Obi Wan in the animated series. So this could also lead into the Obi Wan movie that is coming up.

They put a fair amount of thought into these "Star Wars Stories".
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
Emilia Clarke really shows she is a movie star & he future is safe once THE GAME OF THRONES ends.

[...]

The romantic stuff works.

[...]

The ending leaves it wide open for another & the bad guys seem to be ready to carry the movie.

I think Qi'ra is pretty terrific in a Star Wars context. Her chemistry with Han is excellent, and that's having to show a lot of different levels while Han gets to play mostly one note in her direction (gooey in love with her). I think the choices she makes all along are spot on. Her "heel turn" isn't out-of-left-field malevolent cartoon evil, and instead pretty restrained and logical. She turned on Dryden Vision more than Han.

You do want to see her in the next movie in a stronger position of power, where she is as likely to play Maul as she is to play the Good Guys.

Clarke does a really good job. Howard helped here get there, and the Kasdans wrote probably the most rounded female role in the entire Star Wars movie franchise. Kind of amazing that we're 40+ years into it and this is the first female that's as rounded as that. I like the Jyn Erso a good deal, but it's not as deep of a character as Qi'ra.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
Maybe John Williams not doing all the music, but....

There was one moment where they whipped out one of the Star Wars themes that was so perfect that I got misty eyed. I can't remember which theme it was, and when they went for it... but it was just fucking perfect.

I'll have to keep an eye out for it when watching it again and point to it in a post.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
So I think it's important to not go back over the same old worlds. This movie seems to understand that....and the worlds look different.

What was a bit interesting is that it balanced being visually beautiful at times (the whole snow planet train robbery scene was a beautiful world) with ugly or dark worlds. Han and Qi'ra world was dark / dimly lit to match the tone. The minding planet was bleak. The refinery planet was both desert bleak with those shots of the ocean. The space route in and out of Kessel is dark as all hell, but at times beautiful as well rather than just vast space.

I'm not going to say it's the most visually stunning SciFi movie in recent memory, or the most visually stunning one (Empire in its day was fantastic). But it's pretty damn cool.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yes... the very best moment in the entire movie was the giant Fuck You to George Lucas. We'll let Original Han explain:

When it happened, I let out an pretty audibale:

"HAN SHOT FIRST!!!"

Which got a good number of "Yes!" and "WOOO!" reactions out of the crowd, before a strong round of clapping...

And then everyone calmed down to listen to Woody die. :)
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted the same idea before reading this.

It may not be the same Maul guy. The Emperor has Vader...& sith Lord only come in two's...so I would hope they didn't stich him together. He is bigger that the first Maul.

You can't put Solo in with Vader, because Ford didn't know Vader in movie #1. Did he?

Anyone who watches Game of Thrones knows she can play the part in the next movie. She can play tough & powerful...and still be romantic.---Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch the credits - he's listed as Maul. They tied him directly into the animated series with the reference to Dathomir (where Maul and his brother lived), the double bladed light saber, and that he's a crime lord.

The Kasdans talk about it with the Times:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-et-hc-solo-star-wars-reveal-20180525-story.html
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I hinted at above, Maul was done with the Sith in the animated series. He went crime lord, and had some pretty decent parts in the stories.

The unfortunate thing is that this movie isn't doing massive business, so a sequel us a question mark. They made a mistake of not scheduling this in the new Star Wars spot of December leading into Christmas. Firing the directors would have allowed them to move it back out of May to December.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i took the Han comment out of the other thread since it's a spoiler, and a pretty great one. :)
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went back & saw it in IMAX today. Maul's legs are robotic. And the writer says it was the same guy.

Bet someone is trying to write something with Vader & Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan Gregor) meeting up again. I would use Vader every chance I got.--Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the last two SW movies with Hans Solo, those dice played a big part in the story. In SW 7, they made like it was something we were supposed to remember from the other movie, but I couldn't remember the dice being part of the first three films. At least I didn't remember them & I've seen them a million times. So last week I watched the first two movies, just looking for it.

It shows up in the first shot on the M. Falcon in Star Wars I, when Chewbaca gets in the co-pilot chair by himself. It's a little small thing that hits him in the head. I had to play it over & over to see it, but it was there.

It doesn't show up again in the two movies...you really can't see the over head controls much. I spent a couple of hours looking. Didn't bother looking at #3.

I wonder if it was something the cast put in the scene or left on the set. Maybe something Lucas didn't plan on putting in the storyline, and the new guy used it.

Does anyone know more about the dice than me? Did I miss something in #3?---Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same video blogger on the Last Jedi, in two parts:

Just Write: The Last Jedi and the 7 Basic Questions of Narrative Drama

Just Write: Why We Can't Agree About The Last Jedi (Or Art In General)

Make sure to watch the first one first. The second hails back to it.

John
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read both of the above, but I dislike the film, because nothing is left for #9. What is left....that has any drama to it. The heels are wimps & not interesting. Luke is screw up & maybe dead...the girl with never be a Jedi & it's not that good of a thing anyway, her interesting parents, are just nobodies, so who cares. The next guys will just be fixing it back to what it was in #7. It's a mess at the moment....maybe some smart guy likes it...but I think he thinks too much. I'm going to pay to see the next one....but I'm not looking forward to it. Maybe THE LAST JEDI is the reason the SOLO movie bombed so bad.

People didn't have to debate if #1 or #2 were good. They just knew it. Pretty much everyone liked the movies.

Maybe the next with make THE LAST JEDI work for me. We'll see. It will have to be a real good movie & at moment I can't see it happening.---Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: