The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yohe's Movie Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
guren

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen "Annihilation" yet? Along with Red Sparrow, that is the recent movie that I am most anxious to see.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No...but I've been thinking about. It's starting to leave theaters.---Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANNIHILATION is as good or better than any science fiction movie ever made. At first I thought it was going to be like 2001, but this film blows that away. Great everything. Natalie Portman kills in it. It's also a horror movie. ****3/8. The studio wanted to cut it up, but one of the producers, with final cut, refused because he knew he had a classic. So it was sold to netflicks & not given any PR. Do not watch this on your little TV. See in the best theater you can find. Don't read reviews or go to IMDb. ANNIHILATION....see it.---Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much to my surprise, I really like TOMB RAIDER. It's not just another comic book movie...it's a action/adventure film...and make a successful attempt at being realistic. ***3/4 I liked it. The casing, writing, direction, SF & acting is all good. Alica Vikander doesn't play a super hero. All her fights are very real & she taking a beating. Like her and all of the actors a lot. Another surprise (spoiler alert) they stay away from anything supernatural. Just makes it seem like a real movie.----Steve Yohe
guren

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have absolutely no interest in Pacific Rim, nor its sequel, but this review was... something. This was one of the most entertaining non-Yohe movie reviews I have read recently, even though I still have no idea what the movie is about.

'Pacific Rim Uprising' Serves Up Another Helping Of Mech And Cheese

glenn
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a cross between Godzilla & transformers. The 1st one was by del Toro & you could see his touches in it. I think I ripped it. Del Toro turned the 2nd one down so he could win an Oscar. I will go see it, probably soon, just for the hell of it. I've been liking some surprises lately. Had to go the the Long Beach NJW card in Long Beach yesterday. May have been the best card I've ever seen, with one of the best matches...and I got to see my old friends. Great day.----Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISLE OF DOGS was great True Wes Anderson. ***3/4 For me, Bryan Cranston as Chief stole the movie. Guess it was more fun, than funny.---Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got back from READY PLAYER ONE. I hate video games, smart ass kids and bad CG...so did you think I'd like this? One of Spielberg's worst, but he really needed a hit. The only acting that was interesting was by Mark Rylance & Simon Pegg. I went to see what they were going to do with King Kong, The Cyclops from SEVEN VOYAGES OF SINBAD, and because it was a Spieberg fim. Kong gets about 2 minutes, & The Cyclops gets two back ground shots. There is some SHINING stuff in it that was interesting. **3/4 Pacing is terrible. Mega-Godzilla has more time than Kong.---Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw RAMPAGE last week. Had to because it had a giant gorilla in it. This is what I wrote here on Nov. 19, 2017:

"Saw the trailer for the movie RAMPAGE. Rock raises a huge white Gorilla named George in Africa. Then bad guys show up to shoot drugs in the air and George starts growing up into King Kong size. There also is a giant wolf & a giant crocodile. The bad guys steal George & the other now monsters...and take them to Chicago...where they escape...and start destroying the city. The croc & the wolf are very bad guys..but George is just misunderstood. So the Rock leaves where ever he's at...I think it was Africa...but I was laughing to hard to figure it out...and goes to Chicago to save George. And he does, after George kills the bad monsters.

So this is a brilliant idea..a cross between King Kong and Mighty Joe Young & Godzilla & Maurice "The French Angel" Tillet...with The Rock playing both the Fay Wray play and the male part of Jack Driscoll...saving money better spent on CG...and it gets to destroy another city. FUCKING AAA, Man it's going to be great, if Chicago hasn't been destroyed yet in some other movie.

Is there any movie that Rock will not do. He can do anything. He is the Brando of the post 2000 period. Perfect fit for our computer culture. He could have played George the White Gorilla too. How does he find time to take steroids?--Steve Yohe"

Yeah....well that's still my review. Maybe I should have added a "spoiler alert". It's just a CG movie & I didn't think much of it....but it beat the hell out of KING KONG: SKULL ISLAND. I think like **3/4. Rock is great again...playing the same guy....himself. If you see this movie, there is no reason to go see King Kong VS Godzilla....because that movie is this movie. The giant crocodile is really Godzilla. He is the most powerful monster in the movie & George kills him after a 30 minute fight to the death. The only difference is....this movie has The Rock....who jumps in & helps the ape kill the crocodile. And the other difference is George tells jokes.

Fucking Rock is great...this follows up his last big hit...JUMANJI....which I forgot to see. Who needs Kevin Hart when you got the big Dwayne and his monkey.

In his next super hit....called SKYSCRAPER...he blows Bruce Willis away. He plays a former Navy Seal or CIA guy...who get his leg blown off....get a new metal fake leg...and get a security guard job on the world largest skyscraper in Kong Kong. After his family get settled in on a top floor of the building, he tells to owner that the place is fucked up & anything could go wrong at anytime....because they didn't build it right. The bad guy owner doesn't want to hear it so they treat him like a joke. Then the Russian Mafia sets off a fire a few floors below his familys room. So The Rock does a Tom Cruse and sligshots himself off another building & Dwayne climes up the skyscraper...with one leg...to save his wounderful wife & kids...and kill the bad guys by throwing them off the top of the building. I'm sure he is much better that Steve McQueen in TOWERING INFRENO. In fact Rock plays both the McQueen part and the Paul Newman part. Shit more money for the CG stuff.

The Rock is truly the hardest working man in show business. HE is the Sir Laurence Oliver of America. He can do anything...just playing himself...because he is bigger that life. Everyone loves him. He'll end up being the Bob Hope of the 21th century.

So future Rock movies are:
RAMPAGE 2 (George lives)
BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA (just to show Ken Russell how to do it)
JUMANJI 2 (they didn't get all the money in #!...and Keven Hart is bitching)
JUNGLE CRUSE (based on the jungle ride at Disneyland....ex-Navy Seal gets a job on the ride & all the animals come alive & eat guests. Until The Rock rides in on a hippo & tramples all the bad animals.)
SAN ANDREAS 2 (Someone rebuilds everything from the first film, so they can destroy it again. They need to find another little kid before they start filing.)
DOC SAVAGE
and a take off of FAST & FURIOUS that uses his character from the movie, but dumped all the other actors & most of all.... Vin Deasal. Who needs them....you got THe Rock...and you can spend the money left over on even more CG.---Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avengers opens Thursday & I have a ticket.--Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going the review the Avengers movie. I want to hear John & everyone tell me how great it is first. Good thing the bad guy can go back in time, so they can do the "it's a dream" storyline in the next one.---Yohe
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched it last night. Will start a spoiler thread so everyone can talk about it.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the Empire Strikes Back of Marvel movies.
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:
It's the Empire Strikes Back of Marvel movies.

That's a good way to describe it.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's bleak at the end, like Empire was. In a sense, all the Dust Heroes are Han stuck in the deep freeze being taken back to Jabba. The heroes that survived are like Luke - they've lost a hand, learned a terrible truth, and it looks like they have no hope against evil.

Like Empire, this didn't shy away from being brutal and bleak and not uplifting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next
Page 65 of 68

Jump to: