The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2017/2018 NBA Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
corrado

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems rookie of the Year has become quite the spirited showdown between Donovan Mitchell and Ben Simmons. Simmons boasted that he's the best rookie, and Mitchell responded with wearing a shirt which had the definition of rookie, a reference to Simmons missing last year with an injury.

I can see it going to Mitchell. Though Jayson Tatum has an outside chance to win as well.
corrado

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wolves get in the playoffs. But they're going to have to do the job to the dangerous Rockets. Here's the 1st round:

East:

raptors vs wizards
Celts vs bucks
76ers vs heat
Cavs vs pacers

West:
rockets vs wolves
warriors vs spurs
blazers vs pelicans
jazz vs thunder

Lots of great matchups. I'm personally looking forward to another chapter in the classic Lance/Lebron saga.

Elsewhere Russell Westbrook somehow averaged a triple-double for the 2nd straight year. Its very impressive yes, bit its too late for him to have a big MVP push.

Another impressive triple-double today was the 1st triple-double of Markelle Fultz. That's a great sign for the still surging 76ers.
corrado

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of coaches got let go. Orlando fired Frank Vogel. And Charlotte got rid of Steve Clifford. I can see him being interview in New York.

Nothing yet on Stan Van Gundy or Doc.
corrado

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Spurs somehow make it a 6-game series. They've shown enough heart without their best player, these past few weeks.

If there's any more proof that Kawhi is done with the spurs, he didn't even accompany his team to the game at Golden State. Unlike Stephen Curry who is out this series, but still hung around the bench, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him go on the road as well.

Not to mention the various references to Kawhi and his group. His return has to be approved by his group. Very ugly situation. Im also disappointed in that this was the perfect time to get revenge, since the Warriors were the team that injured him, well Zaza of course. He could've gotten a lot of goodwill back by helping his team upset one of the favorites to win it all. Instead he'll in all likelihood be Public Enemy #1 to Spurs fans, wherever he ends up next year.
corrado

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And he's out for the rest of the postseason:

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-spurs-star-kawhi-leonard-expected-miss-remainder-postseason-205918775.html

Elsewhere, the Pacers blow out Lebron and the Cavs. That Paul George deal really worked out well for the Pacers. They grab an all-star and also Sabonis.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cavs vs Pacers was a ton of fun today. :)
corrado

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A rough loss for Philly tonight. Afterwards, a still out due to injury, Joel Embiid, posted this Instagram story:

https://twitter.com/Rachel__Nichols/status/986085672585838592

I hope that was just frustration kicking in, because the last thing Philly needs now is for one of their core players to gripe about the mismanagement of the team.
corrado

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregg Popovich's wife died:

https://sports.yahoo.com/spurs-announce-gregg-popovichs-wife-erin-popovich-died-002922151.html
corrado

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embiid made his playoff debut tonight and had 23 points in a 76ers win. Textbook very intense playoff game. Fun times.

The opposite of Embiid is Whiteside. He's shown next to nothing this series, and between that and his tantrum earlier this year, he's going to be cut, I would suspect. Too bad because he had an extraordinary rise to stardom, too.
corrado

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pacers take the series lead 2-1. Cavs collapsed in the 2nd half.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever you need Carmelo Anthony the most, he will let you down. And then talk shit....for 26 mil a year. I ranted on him years ago. I watch the OKC/Utah game just to watch him choke....like he always does. ---Yohe
corrado

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've seen the success this 1st round of postseason staples, Playoff Lebron, Playoff Rondo. The opposites of them are Playoff Melo and Playoff P. Another much hyped Big 3 that was a disappointment when it mattered. Or rather 2/3 excluding Westbrook.

I was really hoping Indy would win Game 7, but they lost. That would've really made the Paul George deal even more lopsided than it was. And they could've beaten Toronto too. Now Toronto is going to fall to the Cavs in 5 perhaps.

The best 2nd round series by far is going to be Philly-Boston. 2 of the teams I enjoy watching the most, this year. I don't see the Celtics having an answer for Embiid. Philly in 6.
corrado

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a nice, historic piece of coaching news:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23388347/igor-kokoskov-agrees-become-phoenix-suns-new-head-coach

seems this gets Phoenix closer to Luka.
corrado

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its entirely possible now, Toronto gets swept. Utterly pathetic performance tonight, after a big lead. They really managed to deflate one of the loudest NBA atmospheres with how they played.
khawk20

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all the talk about the "culture reset" in Toronto this year, to fail so badly now...what do they do next? Probably keep the same team next season and hope LeBron goes to the West.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 17 of 23

Jump to: