The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2018-2019 L.A. Lakers Thread (Livin' On A Prayer)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: 2018-2019 L.A. Lakers Thread (Livin' On A Prayer) Reply with quote

Alright... time to get this one started.
guren

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, JAG, and Steve, what does your ideal off-season look like?

Until Steph started Steph-ing, LeBron was far and away my favorite player in the league. I started subscribing to League Pass several years ago mainly to watch his games. There has never been a player like him, and he is still playing at the same level at age 33. That said, I wouldn't want LeBron on my favorite team. Can you imagine LBJ on the Dubs? Obviously the Dubs and Lakers are in much different situations, but LeBron changes the dynamic of any team he is on, and I wouldn't want the Dubs to change their identity. The team that LeBron is on becomes all about LeBron. Which is fine because he is LeBron, I guess.

glenn
JAG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/04/17/lakers-rebuild-future-magic-johnson-rob-pelinka-free-agency-lonzo-ball
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ideal off season, baring anything insane like having The Brow fall in out lap, would be:

#1 - Paul George

I have some faith that he'll be fine through a four year deal. He's not a #1 on a championship team, so longer term we would be looking for the #1 to pair with him. But as the Lakers #1 with improvement & health from The Kids and firming up the bench, it may be a playoff team next year.

#2 - Not Randle

I think the contract will clog the payroll for years to come. I don't think he's a #1 Center or Big. With George + Ingram + Kuz, we're pretty Forward heavy. One of those guys will end up as Wing Guard if they're all playing, and I would like a Big that's more complimentary and less clogging in terms of contract.

Now perhaps the argument could be made is that you keep Randle as one of the pieces that could be traded for a Big like The Brow. Contract works, and Randle might be a piece that a rebuilding team would like to roll out. On the other hand, rebuilding teams want to tank and not have payroll clogging. So... who knows.

I don't want the headache.

#3 - Keep All The Other Kids

Again, George + Ingram + Kuz is a big of congestion at Wing Forward. But you can live with it, be flexible... and perhaps have Ingram or Kuz be a key component in a trade for someone like Davis next summer.

This is one of the negatives of Bron:

Bron + George + Ingram + Kuz = not enough minutes for those kids at Forward, and Someone having to play 6-9 effective playing Shoot Guard / Guard Wing. It's kind of messy. You take messy things to get Bron... but I really don't want to deal with another rebuild in 4 years when Bron's time is done... and an ugly rebuild considering what happen in CLE when Bron left the first time, Miami when Bron left, and what will certainly happen in CLE when Bron leaves after this season.

#4 - Patch Big with no long term commitment

Have no idea who this would be. Someone who compliments the Kids + George. Short term deal.

#5 - One Year Bench Help where needed

This needs a near total rebuild.

#6 - Retaining Roster & Payroll Flexibility

D'oh!

#7 - Don't Panic On Making The Playoffs Or Bust

I'd like to make the playoffs. But...

Denver was 11 games better than the Lakers. Jokic is better than anyone on the Lakers, and still isn't close to his ceiling. Gary Harris is a fine shooting guard, and only 1 year older than Kuz but has 4 years of NBA play under his belt. Jamal Murray is the same age as Ingram and has out scored him both seasons. They played much of the year with Milsap hurt.

Not saying the Nuggets will be better than the Lakers next year. But they have a foundation that's every bit as good as ours, and finished 11 games better this year... and still didn't make the playoffs.

Of the playoffs teams, the only one that has a strong feeling of being worse than the Lakers next year are the Spurs if Leonard leaves. If he stays and plays at the same level as last year, the Spurs are a lock for the playoffs. If he's gone, I don't know how Pop shuffles things.

One reason I'd like to get George is that it screws up OKC. They have payroll issues with Russ and Adams eating up $60M of cap space, and Roberson eating another $10M. They're complete screwed if Melo opts into his $28M final year... which we all hope happens. :)

The rest of the teams aren't likely to fall off.

So playoffs are really hard, unless we get both George and Bron. But you get Bron, and you go all-in on doing more than just getting into the playoffs.

I don't think we have enough to build a true contender if we get George & Bron.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at the FA & the only two that would make you a major contender is James & George. Is Kawhi Leonard a FA? We aren't going to get James. We have a 30% chance of getting George. I would like to have the old Leonard....but is he crazy. If I could get a deal for him...I would have to get closer to the situation to make a decision. He is from LA isn't he.

If George or James shows any interest...then tell them to hurry up & make a decision.

I want Randle back. If someone doesn't over spend....I would give him the money. He can guard any position....play any position. He busts his ass. John has always hated the guy & I agreed until I saw him pay this year. He is skilled & is the power player on the team. Without him...you got to go looking for a replacement & whoever you get wouldn't be as good. He has the best head on the team & doesn't back away from anyone.

The major thing they have to say away from is a screw up like dealing for Howard & Nash. It's better doing nothing that screwing up.

Ingram, Kuzman, Hart, Randle, & Ball all look like players. I like Pope & Lopez ok...if they took a cut...I would give Lopez another year & Pope more time. If not you've got to fill those holes. I like Wear. I don't know if Zubar will ever be a player.

I just think the Lakers shouldn't fall all over themself trying to sign a free agent. Once James & George are taken, there are very few major players. I'd wait for someone to come to me. Look for good deals to fill holes.

The team we got seem like it will improve. We just can't rush into mistakes.

I think the Lakers are pretty smart & I've liked what they've done so far. Can't pretend I'm smarter that them....and they seem to know Randle is a player.

I do think Leonard would be worth a chance if we got an opportunity.---Yohe
JAG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lakers or Celtics can make best offer for Kawhi, but he’s a free agent in 2019, so his camp will likely decide where he goes.

I would still bet Spurs fix this, but Tony and Manu going after him and him not being at playoff games are turrible signs.

Dream offseason would be George and Kawhi for Ingram-And stuff. Resign Randle at 4-$76Mish. Add another wing.

I think they’re getting LeBron tho and they’re obviously not going to turn him down. Him and George. Probably need to trade Ingram for a big or wing at that point. Get the other for the MLE (Lopez even).

And hope you catch the Dubs on fumes LeBron’s first year. And that his HGH redefines NBA-Superstar aging.

Jagdip
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people are wildly underestimating what it will take to keep Randle.

Otto Porter got an offer sheet of this last summer:

2018: $24,773,250
2019: $26,011,913
2020: $27,250,576
2021: $28,489,239 (player options)

That was as a 23 year old coming off a 13-6-2 season.

The Clipper signed 28 year old Danilo Gallinari to this:

2018: $20,559,599
2019: $21,587,579
2020: $22,615,559

He hadn't played 70+ games since 2013, then he destroyed his knee. Actually, he's only played 70+ games twice in his entire career.

It's not that someone is going to offer him Porter money. It's that keeping Randle for "only" $60M/4 years is delusional. Someone is going to offer him more. The Kings, for example, can pretty easily work their way into offering him $20M a year.

Do you wan to pay Randle $15M a year? $18M a year? $20M a year?
guren

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAG wrote:
Dream offseason would be George and Kawhi for Ingram-And stuff. Resign Randle at 4-$76Mish. Add another wing.

Kawhi and PG13 would be terrifying together. If you can get Kawhi for Ingram+non-critical stuff, I think it's a no-brainer, even with his 1-year contract.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randle will cost them some money. I'm thinking 13 mil a year, at least. People have seen him play now. It's a big decision. They have spent all this time on draft picks...and now they have guys who look like they'll develop. I wouldn't give up the plan after screwing up a bunch of years to get here. I would look for one FA. George wants to be a Laker, that important to me. This was a good year...I was happy with it until the injuries.

I'll trade for Kawhi, but you'd need to be closer & get more info. I think Pop may retire. It's been a hard year for him. Does anyone really understand that situation?

Would we take Paul? If offered? I think people outside the organization may come to them with ideas. I think Thomas with come looking to them, when he gets no offers. There are a lot of mistakes out there, if you don't know what your doing. The GM is an agent....he may have a love for trades.

Did the Cleveland trade really help us any? You know if there are no FA willing.---Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: