The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2017-2018 L.A. Lakers Thread (exhale)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25

View previous topic :: View next topic  
corrado

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about that Andre Ingram? Hope he has a spot next year. Great story.
JAG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

35 wins. Progress.

Jagdip
corrado

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressed with how the Lakers survived year 1 of Lavar. Not that much damage. That could've been worse. Lots of other organizations would've done things more dysfunctionally.

Here's hoping for a playoff run next year. it depends of course on how they get/draft next year.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some quick positives and negatives....

Positives:

Growth - Ingram was better. Randle was better. The defense was better given the pace

2017 Draft - Kuzma and Hart were good late 1st round pick. They're not young draft picks, so they might not have to room to jump up their improvement massively like some of the young picks. But they both look like they can be contributors to a good team. Talk about Ball later.

Front Office - didn't eat any crappy contracts. Good drafting. Picked up CLE's pick when dumping Clarkson, and CLE's play this season makes the a bit better pick (#1-25). It's an asset if they need to trade, but given the late round picking, it's nice to keep.

Walton - ate a lot of shit early, but the team did play better. He found "his players" and rotations, and managed a lot of injuries that screwed up the ability to sustain consistent rotations and play. The improvement on defense was nice. The offense has a ways to go, which was also hidden by the pace they played at. Injuries screwed it up as well. I think we get to the end of the season where he is on solid ground.

Payroll - in good shape. Options left open. It doesn't mean we are going to land a bunch of free agents. But it does mean we have flexibility at a time when a lot of teams don't.

Flexibility - options to sign free agents, but also the fall back to run with the kids if things don't work out. The kids aren't winning a title on their own - there just isn't that level of foundational players on the roster. But they have enough good will with the fans from this season that if Paul George and Bron go elsewhere, we likely will be able to avoid a panic move of signing an expensive deadly contract that screws up the future.

Negatives

Injuries - Ingram and Ball's regular injuries are getting frustrating. They're young, maybe they grow into their bodies and get healthy. But when your arguably two most important players get hurt this often, it's a big worry.

Randle's Contract - he played himself into a stupid contract. Given how the Lakers "treated" him over the past year with both the lack of an extension and playing time, it's pretty stupid to think he's going to give us a discount or wait around to see how things go with Bron and George. He's going to want/take an offer right went the window opens. Then we're over the barrel to match.

Mixed / Jury Out

Ball - plenty of positives. I think his defense is a bit overrated as Luke and the staff gave him softer assignments. But that also is fairly smart as a way of bleeding him into the NBA. The offense is mixed. Great transition, can't shoot. I don't know how he works with Bron given his shooting. You can see how Simmons does - pick and roll to death, as Simmons rolling to the rim is deadly. Ball pretty much can't do shit at the rim right now. Playing off Bron for open shots... that doesn't feel like a good thing. He really needs to learn how to shoot. There's a foundation of a good player there. A healthy Rubio isn't what we want, but it's a useful player. Problem - he's not exactly healthier than Rubio.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a letter in the LA Times today, so it seems someone else realizes that the Baylor statue has Elgin shooting with his left hand. And his right armcrosses his body in a way that looks like no shot I've ever seen. It jumped out to me in about two seconds & nobody else has said anything.

It there anyone else on line talking about it? Weird.---Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what it's based on, but suspect there's a picture somewhere with him shooting a left handed hook. I can't find it. In fact, looking at clips on Youtube, there's only one left handed shot that stands out - driving past Russell in an All Star Game from the right side of the key to the left and finishing with a sorta-hook. It's at 2:50 in this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjNS_oYE92E

It's an insane shot as Russell's defense is like completely perfect. He has another one at 3:02 in where Elgin is Doc before Doc in splitting Russell and Hondo under the basket... and then you stop to think about it and that's RUSSELL (the greatest defensive player that ever lived) and HONDO (arguably the greatest defensive swingman that ever lived), whereas Doc beat Mark Landsberger off the dribble not BILL F'N RUSSELL!!!! before swooping past him and HONDO coming over to help.

FUCK!!!

Agreed that it doesn't make a ton of sense as Elgin was right handed. He had all sorts of great right handed shots in his game.

Last edited by jdw on Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:13 am; edited 3 times in total
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend that clip to everyone. It's just sick. His passing is awesome. A ton of the clips are against the Celtics, so he's driving at Russell all the freaking time. Of course it's an Elgin highlight film, so we're Russell's positive plays. But there's no freaking fear in him.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you John.

Everyone was saying the same stuff about him then. He was the third biggest national star in the NBA, behind centers Russell & Wilt. Broke the scoring title twice. Those moves were all new for a forward. Elgin being forgotten is like forgetting Bird or Dr. J. He was huge. It's just been very strange. Wish there was more tape on him. He did those moves in every game...every night.

He could shot with his left, but he wasn't know for it. Back then everyone could use both hands. If you couldn't, you stuck out.

Back to the statue...he's shooting with the left...maybe like a hook...but the right arm is coming across his chest...so the motion would be turning to the right...taking the ball away from the basket. Weird. Glad he got a statue.

He & Chick made basketball in Los Angeles......and he seemed to be forgotten!!!!!!! Guess that's over now.

I'm goofy too. I think everyone should be age 70 like me.--Yohe
guren

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't watched this yet, but I'm just going to assume it's really good.

Julius Randle’s Breakout Season
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop trying to get the Lakers to overpay to keep him. ;)
guren

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to be less obvious next time. :-)
JAG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guren

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find. Interesting that they would use a pose based on that photo, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25
Page 25 of 25

Jump to: