The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yohe's Movie Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Empire on leaving the theater, had a great positive feel about it. You looked forward to then saving Ford & the love story worked with Luke not being the guy to get the girl. Luke had a rebuild arm by the end of the movie. The father surprise was a true surprise at the time, that just put them on another level & toped the first SW. Things were just set up for a great movie in the next one....with all kind of possible plot moves. (None of which happened).

At this point I have no good feeling about the next Avengers movie. It's set up to be a mess, with a huge number of characters coming back from the dead. I don't have the faith in them to pull it off.

Another thing, cross overs in comic books are really great. When they first started doing it, it was really cool. But you can't put every fucking superhero in every movie. It messes up the gimmick & losses what was special about it. And killing them off & kicking all of their asses by one guy...I don't get it. Hope the know what their doing. They have done well getting them all to interact & have a story of there own...but at sometime they'll give control to some director who kill it all off. I know at this point it seem they can do anything & get away with it. The fans will buy anything.

I used to have a little mind, and now I've got a really old little mind...so I need to go see it again...maybe tonight. The pacing was just too much & I need to watch it again. ---Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repost, and I don't want to bore anyone with the same post twice.--Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The feeling at the end of Star Wars was a great, positive feeling.

The feeling at the end of Empire was devastating. The rebels won nothing. Han was in the deep freeze being taken back to an evil person. Luke found out that his father was the biggest heel in the galaxy. The Princess' love was in the deep freeze. Chewy's best friend was in the deep freeze. Lando tried to work angles, and none of them worked.

The questions we were left with was how Our Heroes were going to comeback from such devastation against all odds.

That's the same thing as Infinity War - devastation, but wonder about how Our Heroes are going to come back from it against all odds.

Empire topped Star Wars.

Infinity Wars clearly topped Ultron (which wasn't terribly good) and frankly tops Avengers 1.

Sure, Avengers 1 was feel good get the band together stuff. But it also dealt overall with straightforward plotting (working together with others and trust), and didn't have any element of true "risk" for Our Heroes at the end because we knew they all were going to live for another day. It did a very good job of working around that limitation and being as dramatic as possible, but it really wasn't that dramatic.

Infinity War dealt with far more substantive plotting of Thanos' motives, had a stronger heel than any MCU movie, and dramatically put much of the cast at risk.

When I say it's the Empire of the MCU, I'm not saying that it's the "best" movie of the MCU. I still think that Cap 2 is the best, Spidey is right with it, and Infinity War is in the #3 spot in the top tier above anything else. But within the MCU, it creates that same "Everything Is Fucked Up... How In The Hell Do The Get Out Of This" moment. Which *none* of the MCU movies truly have done yet.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there was no Wookies to beat the shit out of the bad guys like in #3. Man now you got me depressed.--- Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh... a short wookie then. Either way they sucked. They were supposed to be wookies but Lucas wanted to save money on material & fur. And basketball players cost too much. --Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw AVENGERS 3 in 2D Imax tonight & I was wrong....it's a good movie...you couldn't make that movie better. My first theater had bad projection & it looked dark. Drove me nuts. Filming of the action & the pacing was fine. Acting was super & everyone....100's of them...all got their stuff in. Funny & dramatic. I give it ***3/8 because it's a two part movie ...and I don't know how they can make another one...without creating another major bad guy. The one they got how is a more of a hero type....he is just misunderstood...SOMEONE HAD TO DO IT!!!.---Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my tickets for the first night of Hans Solo. Seem almost sold out already.--Yohe
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The local theater is showing A Quiet Place this weekend. I've heard a lot of good things about the film -- thinking I might check it out.

Helps that I share in some of the free movie passes the paper gets in exchanging for running free ads for the theater -- it's run by a non-profit organization. Even has a website: http://www.kingmantheatre.org
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liked DEADPOOL. Most of the jokes work. A comedy farce on comic book heroes. ***1/4. Gross out stuff. Should do Ok.----Steve Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
Liked DEADPOOL. Most of the jokes work. A comedy farce on comic book heroes. ***1/4. Gross out stuff. Should do Ok.----Steve Yohe

Surprised you liked Deadpool 2 given your famous walk-out-hate of Deadpool 1. Kind of cool. :)
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I was ready for it this time.---Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo turned out to be good. Not great, but better than the prequels.

It's a leaner, simpler movie than almost all of them as the focus is pretty much always where Han is rather than bouncing all over the galaxy with the characters being split up into different adventures. We do get a bit of that, such as on the mining planet where they split into two groups. But this tends to be a bit tighter and less bouncy that normal.

Nice reference to other movies, including the best FU to Lucas that they could have done. They laid the groundwork for further Solo movies if this does business.

Ehrenreich isn't Ford, but no one is. He grows in the role as it goes along. The clunkiness early to a degree fits in with the character not being Solo early, and the character growing as it goes on. You wish he were better, but he's far from a disaster one worried about during the early-production bad buzz.

Woody is quite good. Glover is quite good. Clarke was really good. Chewie is terrific. L3-37 joins K-2SO as another fantastic robot they have come up with in the anthology movies. Vision is a good disposable heel, and we come out of the movie with even stronger heels for the future.

A fun time. Far from painful like the prequels, or the crappy parts of Return of the Jedi.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liked SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY a lot. Alden Ehrenrelch ia a great actor and will be a major star. I think he's perfect as Hans. Emilia Clarke really shows she is a movie star & he future is safe once THE GAME OF THRONES ends. Chewbacca breaks loose like in no other Star Wars movie. Really adds a lot to story when he shows up. It's all action. It follows Hans Solo as he develops into the Hans Solo we know. The romantic stuff works. I was really surprised they made such a good movie out of the idea. The ending leaves it wide open for another & the bad guys seem to be ready to carry the movie. I would go back to this, and not just elongate what follows after Star Wars #9. To me, it was Hans Solo that saved Star Wars #1 from being just a kids movie. He should be a character that rivals other like James Bond. I can't think of anything I disliked about the movie. Maybe John Williams not doing all the music, but.... So ****1/8. Ron Howard really came through for them. Very happy with it & I want to see it again.

Another thing....after all the Star Wars movie were spaced out over the years...we have now have seen four by the new guys. I worry they are not going to have the same feel of anticipation. And they will grow old & be taken as they same old stuff by young people.

So I think it's important to not go back over the same old worlds. This movie seems to understand that....and the worlds look different. Seems to be more grounded in some type of real life. It didn't seem like a sterile world. Chewie & Hans role around in the mud....and the view of war & being a soldier seems very real. It was a world that the Empire didn't care about. The storm troopers had minds of their own, and become something other that a nameless jobber, but people forced into a life by a cruel environment. So I liked it.----Steve Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool.

They did name drop Jabba a bit, so it's likely the next Solo will have a trip to a well known planet in the series.

One other interesting thing about this is that there is 0.00% of it devoted to Jedi stuff. Even Rogue One had Jedi stuff with Vader.

Note - spoiler on that point in the Star Wars spoiler thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69  Next
Page 66 of 69

Jump to: