The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2017/2018 NBA Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23

View previous topic :: View next topic  
corrado

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, he's got one more game left this year as the Warriors make it 3-0. Durant had 46 points, and they overcame a shaky game by Steph Curry.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAG wrote:
Some of the kids would be flipped.

Yep - we would sell out soul for two years of praying we would contend, then go back to rebuilding when Bron wanders off.

Quote:
You know this, but your post had to be ridiculous as it was. Kids remain static, etc.

I don't expect the kids to remain static.

I also do expect Zo to magically learn how to shoot. Nor do I see Ingram being a player who fits with Bron like both of the Celtics kid forwards would. Randle would be gone to fit both Bron and Paul, so whether he's static or not is moot.

I like Kuz, but he's 23 next year. There's only so much growth there... and he plays the same positions that will be occupied by Bron and George. Hard to grow when your path to playing is impacted by two stars making $30M a year.

Quote:
Not to mention the Lakers would have a MLE that would bring back a Lopez and the other ring chasers LeBron attracts.

Lopez isn't much of a defender, doesn't rebound, doesn't roll to the basket, and is an overrated three point shooter. I don't see how he fits with Bron - he hasn't played with a Center like Lopez in the last 8 years. I also don't see Lopez striking any fear in the Warriors when it comes to figuring out how to run circles around him.

Yes, we have the MLE. That simply means we will get another older player who will be left over once Bron wanders off to his next team.

Quote:
Doesnít take a genius to see that LeBron + a poo poo platter = contender.

In the East.

Quote:
Unless youíre arguing Love is better than George. And/or the Cavs pu pu platter roster is better than what the Lakers would have. You donít have much of a point.

I think George is better than Love.

But he also got added to OKC and the team improved by 1 game.

Indy improved by 6 games with him leaving. Granted, George wasn't the only change as they overhauled their roster:

Starting LineUp
PG Teague --> Collison
SG Ellis --> Oladipo
SF George --> Bogdanovic
PF Young
C Turner

Bench Playing Time:
Stuckey --> Joseph
Miles --> Stephenson
Robinson --> Sabonis

But heading into the season, that sure looked like a pu pu platter roster. But that team came together better than the team the year before did with George.

I'm okay signing George. He's an improvement over anyone we currently have, and of the age where he's likely to be decent through the balance of his contract. You don't sell your soul signing him, and if no one else comes you still have flexibility next off season (as long as you don't do something stupid and pay Randle $20M a year).

But he's not Pippen to Bron-Jordan. Or Wade to Bron. Or KD to Curry (or flip it). He's not even Klay to Curry on teams that won a title and were a Dray tech away from going back-to-back.

He's not Instant Western Conference Contender with Bron.
corrado

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colangelo resigned today. And now there's talk that David Griffin might be a candidate for GM. Which would mean they're another step closer to Bron headed to Philly. Griffin was the GM when Bron returned, and after his exit, Bron defended him a lot.

So there you go.
JAG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Lonzo will never learn to shoot? Kuzma is as good as heís gonna be? Ingram canít be flipped for a stud?

But the Celtics forwards... *rolls eyes*

Sorry Uncle John, youíre not convincing me

Harden
CP3
Gordon
Capela
Ariza

And damn near nothing else can beat the Dubs, but

LeBron
PG
Ingram/trade
Kuzma
Lonzo
Randle
MLE
Hart

Canít. Especially with one more year of wear, tear and Disease of Me for the Dubs.

Jagdip
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the James decision with be made by the wife. Knowing nothing about her....if she wants a Hollywood connection....then James will follow. Just because she is being mentioned in sports talk...gives the impression that she is the boss. I would try to get her together with Jennie. One of the biggest positives the Lakers have is Jennie as boss.

I have some questions but no answers:

And how many years does James have left? Does he have three or four years? When will that body break down? How long? Do we tear down the team we have developed for an answer that may only work for two years. The Lakers need a contending team....that is respectable. Hot shoting for a title can kill you (NJ & NY). Starting over would be a disaster. I can't take three or more years of this shit. We need a good team every year. You go for a FA, when the move will put you over the top.

I would find out what James wants fast. He knows what he is going to do already...most likely. If he doesn't commit, or dicks around...they should move on.

I still think he know he needs to be in the East. Which team can he control Philly or Boston? He can control Miami, we know that.

If James did go Lakers....you know that would suck Kobe back in. He'll want to coach or something, just to be in the storyline. He already has a TV show & a Oscar. He has to fed the ego.

With James, Ball become a replacement, and his development would be pushed back years or maybe forever. Is Ball really important to you? Is he going to develop even without James around? You know...really?

I don't think James does you any good unless he controls the ball. He wants to play with guys who are straight up shooters or roll to the basket. He doesn't want post up guys, because he's offense is driving to the basket. He wants 3 shooters in the corners. Pure shooters, and guys to go after the ball. Is that the kind of players the Lakers have?

If you got him, it would mean a lot of work & breaking down the team to fit him. And most likely means old guys to back him up. Is that what you wants to do? And if you don't....he'll get upset. So your always going to be worried about making him happy.

We do not want another Steve Nash/Howard mistake.

I would feel safer if we just build on our base. But I know nothing & I still can't see him coming to the West. I think GS proved it's point this year & he wants to be in the finals. Phily sounds like a good spot, if they don't mind moving a kid who plays just like James & needs the ball. Their are major problems in Boston. What's the situation in Toronto? Miami is a huge step backward. Why can't he stay in Cleveland? Clippers? That would be funny...I don't think the Clips have it in them....unless that's why they got West.---Yohe
JAG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lonzo isnít a traditional pound it, pick and roll PG.

He moves it fast and then plays (bad) Spotup shooter, who then whips the hall around again if he can.

Does that mean he can definitely play well with LeBron? Only if he gets the 3P% over 35. But I donít think it will hold him back considering Kyrie does need the ball and him and LeBron won a title together.

Like Brady, I think LeBron will test he limits of how long he can be this good. HGH and everything legal that comes with being the top athlete in 2018.

I say he has 3-4 years as a top 5 player especially with his passing ability. Heís gotten better, not physically, but mentally heís much, much better.

Jagdip
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAG wrote:
Does that mean he can definitely play well with LeBron? Only if he gets the 3P% over 35. But I donít think it will hold him back considering Kyrie does need the ball and him and LeBron won a title together.

Kyrie shot .465/.387/.883 in his three years with Bron. .468/.405/.939 while putting up 27 PPG in the Final that they won.

Zo isn't that. He might not ever put up a single season where he averages .465/.387/.883, let alone average it for three years. Heck, Kyrie topped all three of those numbers this year in Boston.

I don't know how Zo fits with Bron.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAG wrote:
So Lonzo will never learn to shoot?

I have no idea. If he does learn to shoot, will it be in the 2 years or so that we would have Bron? Odds are low.

Quote:
Kuzma is as good as heís gonna be?

Not sold that he doesn't have growth potential. But also doubt he's going to make a big leap on a team that adds Bron and George given that none of them play C or Big, and George at Wing Guard is a stretch as well.

Quote:
Ingram canít be flipped for a stud?

So that means we're going all in for 2 years of Bron, and then turn into Miami and Cleveland when he leaves?

Can't say I'm thrilled with this, as unlike the Cavs and Heat, Bron isn't going to leave us a Larry-O on the way out.

Quote:
But the Celtics forwards... *rolls eyes*

So you would rather have any 2 of our Kids over Tatum & Brown?

I'd trade our whole fucking roster for Tatum and Brown. And for fuck's sake... that doesn't even include that asshole Ainge sitting on the King's #1 pick next year while also getting Tatum while sticking the idiot Colangelo's with Faulk.

Wait... that's before we get to them also having Kyrie, Heyward and Horford. Oh, and they have the suddenly taste trade piece Terry Rozier that Ainge will use to fleece someone out of another pick or two.

I hate the Celtics, and I hate Ainge. But he smoked our ass in the rebuild, and Bron heading West would open up the East to total dominance by the Celtics. Which will put them an injury or good match up away from moving another title away from the Lakers catching them.

Quote:
Sorry Uncle John, youíre not convincing me

Harden
CP3
Gordon
Capela
Ariza

And damn near nothing else can beat the Dubs, but

If you think that Morey is going to sit on his hands with that team, I have a bridge for you to buy. :)

Just think back a year and that CP3 deal coming out of left field. He'll pull something out of his ass again as he obsesses about beating the Dubs.

Quote:
LeBron
PG
Ingram/trade
Kuzma
Lonzo
Randle
MLE
Hart

Canít. Especially with one more year of wear, tear and Disease of Me for the Dubs.

I don't think that team contends. It's total dog shit defensively, with both the Rockets and Dubs lighting them up. In turn, offensively it's a horrid match for Bron. This years Cavs were horrid defensively, but were still a Top 5 offensive even without Kyrie.

One can try to claim that some of out players are better offensively than some of their players. It's fit. Those guys don't. Maybe George does, but I'm not sure that I see a clear match for him on any of Bron's last 8 teams.

I suspect that Bron with the Lakers would be the quickest cure for the Disease of More for the Dubs. Rather than be bored waiting all year to play Bron in the Finals, they get to have Bron in the Pacific Division and get to look down at them in the standings every day to get fired up. It would be fugly.
JAG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The board has eaten two of my replies, so Iíll just say this.

The rebuilds canít be judged until one of the franchises win a title. Ainge and Stevens have to figure out how to use Kyrie and Gordon with Tatum and Brown. Lots of shots needed and salaries might be disportionate for years to come.

Magic and Pelinka have nailed EVERY move since they took over. Nailed all 3 draft picks last year. Have $70M in cap room as LeBron hits the market.

Not worried.

Jagdip
corrado

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warriors with the clean sweep. I knew when JR had his dumbass moment, it was going to be a sweep. Still they saved their best when they needed to. There were times in the preliminary rounds where they had flashes of not so brilliance. And even in the finals with Curry and Klay having bad games. Durant was there to pick them up, and he clearly deserved the Finals MVP.

In perhaps his final Cavs game, Bron did show moments where he could've showed more effort. Something thankfully the announcers mentioned, instead of covering for him. That was not a good moment, and hopefully not an indicator of his future.

so now we wait to see if Bron goes to Philly.
corrado

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Bron may been playing hurt the past few games:

https://sports.yahoo.com/lebron-james-played-finals-hand-contusion-suffered-punching-blackboard-game-1-044804918.html
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy to see the Dubs go back-to-back and three-of-four. They are the era defining team, and I'm glad that they were able to render moot most of the reasons haters would try to knock them down.

They went through a lot of the season more bored and indifferent than in the past three. I don't think it's a lock that they won't be just as bored and indifferent next year, or deal with injuries more impactful than the ones this year. But I do think that at some point they will focus on the concept of the three-pear, which the Jordan Bulls (twice) and ShaqKobe did while the Heattles came up short. I think topping Bron will be a motivation at some point.

It will be even stronger if Bron comes West.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23
Page 23 of 23

Jump to: