The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ESPN 30 for 30
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right about the lack of hype - I didn't even see an add for it. Instead, ESPN kept hyping the new Greenie Show. :(

I'll check this out. Sound really good.
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also watched the documentary The Legend of Swee' Pea that I rented on Vimeo. This is the story of basketball street legend, Lloyd Daniels.

I first came across Lloyd when I was 8 or 9 years old. A good friend of mine's father was a college coach at Hunter College and he would take us to watch a lot of the top talent around the 5 boroughs to scout other players. At that time Lloyd was playing for Jackson High School out of Queens and outside of Lebron he was the greatest high school basketball player I had ever seen.

The only thing I wish the documentary had was more footage of Lloyd in high school because he was a sight to behold. He had a far better jumper than Lebron did in high school and was a far better passer. He was often said to be 'Magic Johnson with Larry Bird's jumper.' I don't think he quite had Magic's ballhandling to really lead the point, but if he played the point forward spot he could have been devastating because his ability to shoot, create his own shot, pass and general feel for offensive basketball was incredible.

Later on he was publicized as a myth, even when he made it to the NBA. But he was no longer the same player he was when he got to the NBA. He clearly lost his burst and his vertical. IIRC, there was one game we went to where he score 22 points, pulled in like 20 boards and had 16 assists. He wasn't selfish on the court and in high school he was a tremendous rebounder. When he got to the Association he was more or less a jump shooter coming off the bench and people really missed out. Lloyd often said that he was only at about 60% of the player he was in high school and I think that was a fairly accurate assessment.

But as far as a doc...this is really one of the best I've ever seen. This one stuck with me for a few days. I've followed Lloyd's career as intensely as I've followed any athlete...which is saying a lot as I've followed countless athletes quite intensely.

For me, it is almost like I've known Lloyd my entire life and the documentary went into things that I never knew about Lloyd, but felt that I had experienced with him.

He was certainly a product of his environment. And as John Lucas said so well 'he raised himself the best way he knew how for him.'

It's certainly not a pretty picture throughout the documentary. Lloyd has so many friends, in part because of his basketball, but he has a genuine personality of being a kind, loving person when he's sober. He starts to get into drinking here and you see the uglier side of Lloyd as well as the hustling side of Lloyd because ever since he was a kid he grew up around people trying to use him and he learned how to return the favor.

Tark makes an appearance here and Lloyd treats him like a father-figure. This is where Lloyd gets at his most emotional because he does realize that he should have gone further with his NBA career and how much he hurt the people that really loved him. And despite the ugly side of Lloyd, you do see that glimmer of hope for him in the end as he gets off the booze again and is very articulate and reflective about his life and situation and just has a good attitude about it.

And that, while it gives hope also gives a lot of trepidation. I see Lloyd as somebody who was likely a high IQ person if he ever had some sense of education and had his dyslexia diagnosed. So, he could have been even more than a basketball player and he not only didn't live up to his potential on the court, but he had so much more to give off the court.

And I just keep thinking what could have been with the hope that finally overcomes all of his demons and is happy with himself and his life.

YR
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the doc, Love Means Zero, last night on Showtime. The life and career of tennis coach, Nick Bollettieri.

I usually have an interest in documentaries about coaches because Iím always interested in how they think and what their core beliefs are that separate them from other coaches. I tend to believe that coaches could be extremely successful in other occupations because they usually have an innate ability to motivate people whereas most bosses, managers, VPís, and CEOís do almost nothing in the way of motivating their employees.

I do not know a lot about tennis. I played it for a little bit for about 2 years and enjoyed it. But, I enjoyed playing golf and basketball even more. I still enjoyed watching it quite a bit, particularly in the late 80ís and early 90ís when you had great players with so many differing styles. Now the game is more about serving and being able to return the serve. Back in the days I watched tennis, you had players like Sampras with his wicked serve, Agassi and Connors ability to return the serve, the all around smooth game of Lendl, Michael Changís ability to chase down everything, Goran Ivanisevicís serve and odd angles, McEnroeís serve and volley game, etc.

As I got older, I started to get more involved with golf instruction and the personalities and skill levels of golf instructors as well as how they build their business. I certainly became more skeptical of golf instructors to the point that I think what separates the truly great instructor over the rest is the ability and willingness to leave well enough alone. And I can count on one hand the number of golf instructors in the world that do that.

Itís a real shame as well because I have plenty of friends in golf instruction, some of them have reached that level of true greatness as I ascribe to. But, they often times develop a young kid into a great golferÖeven the best in the world for their age group. And then the studentís parents take them to one of the top instructors in the world, their swing gets changed and often times they either get worse and never recover or they get worse and recover, but are not on the same trajectory path they were with their old instructor.

And itís amazing how many of the big time golf instructors can get things Ďwrongí from a scientific standpoint, but their studentís ability is so strong that it somehow overcomes that. For instance, Iím not a big fan of Hank Haney, but Tiger Woods had tremendous success with him. Iíve also seen top golfers be taught something that is Ďwrongí by the instructor and still go about their swing not doing what that teacher told them. Eventually, like Tiger, things tend to come crashing down on them but by that point theyíve already had enough success to call it a great career and the teacherís lesson book and academies are full.

Bollettieri comes off like this type of teacher in tennis. He says he doesnít understand biomechanical terms worth a lick and he didnít know anything about teaching tennis when he became a tennis coach. He explains some of his story of his coaching career where he had a popular school in NY and needed more land to build more courts and his uncle, who had dubious connections, got that built for him in a shady way.

So a lot of it comes off like a used car salesman that is somehow the head sales guy at a Mercedes dealership. Having said that, he appeared to give a lot of kids scholarships to his tennis academy and didnít have any contract with them stating that they had to give back or stay with the academy when they turned pro.

Iím not sure that it was ever about money for Bollettieri when watching this. He seems like a bit of ham and often refers to himself in the third person. He was clearly in certain playersí box suites when they were playing against fellow academy players and clearly seemed to favor the better player. A lot of people look at that as Bollettieri playing the side that he thinks will give him the most money, but I think it was more about Bollettieri wanting to be viewed as the premier teacher in tennis and being somebody of great importance. He really dug the announcers talking about him and the cameras panning to him in matches.

I never liked Agassi. I thought he was overhyped for much of his career and I donít think he comes off well here (Agassi refused to be interviewed for the doc). Bollettieri wasnít bashing Agassi at all, but it was clear that Agassi was a prima donna and the rules didnít apply to him and he didnít think they should.

Whenever I think of pro tennis, I think of John Feinstein stating that the worst two years of his marriage were the two years he worked on his book Hard Courts which followed the pro tennis circuit. Feinstein found that most tennis players were awful to deal with and you can kinda see why as I donít think a guy like Bollettieri was going to make Agassi into a good, down to earth person.

Jim Courier comes off really well here. He was a victim of Bollettieriís favoritism of Agassi. I started to see that Courierís biggest asset may have been his maturity as he was able to rationalize the situation that Bollettieri put him in, overcome it and handle it like a gentleman and professional.

The difficulty for the doc maker, Jason Kohn, was that Bollettieri pretty much does not remember anything in the past that was negative. When he Ďfiredí Andre with a letter FedExíd to him or interviewing with USA Today about Ďfiringí Andre before the letter or numerous other thingsÖ Bollettieri doesnít remember and basically dismisses it. I actually believe he does not remember. I donít think heís being a complete asshole, I just think thatís how he copes with mistakes and bad things. But, when you have situations that are critical to the subject matter and the subject matter wonít recall themÖit hurts the documentary. It may make for a fascinating aspect of the man, but overall it hurts the film.

I will say that Agassi had a real nice letter written to Bollettieri that Bollettieri read. Itís a touching moment.

Overall, itís a decent doc. Itís well constructed with a lot of good people to interview. But the lack of being able to go into Bollettieriís past and with no Agassi in the documentary there was some things left to be desired.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Agassi grew up when he started dating Graff. She retired right around the same time. She'd been through the circus and game through it sane, while Agassi admits that he lost his mind for stretches.

Not much of a fan of Agassi in his rivalry with Pete and others in the era. Once Pete retired I came to appreciate Andre a bit more, and got his shit together from 1999 on.

Never was a big fan of Bollettieri. He came off in the way you described him - chasing fame rather than coaching.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: