The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yohe's Movie Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68, 69  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your over 65, a woman, white, and like movies... about talented, successful, rich people...played by famous female actors who have had relationships with the biggest studs in Hollywood plus one of the richest men of his time....being horny and not finding love...then you'll have a chance to like BOOK CLUB. The lights keep going out in wonderful Montebello, and the grandkids were using my TV...so I went to the movies on a Saturday hoping to find an adult kind of film. So BOOK CLUB. Actually, after overlooking the above...it was Ok **3/4. Nothing stuck out as being terrible. But I kept trying to count the women Warren Beatty had scored on. It was like going to see THE WILD BUNCH and counting the dead bodies.----Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OCEAN'S 8 was weak. The girls just couldn't be cool. The caper wasn't interesting or believable. **3/4. The male actors stole the movie. Very disappointing.---Steve Yohe
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved INCREDIBLES 2. They threw the spotlight more on Elastigirl -- she takes the role of the "hero living the glory days" while Mr. Incredible takes on the role of family nurturer. It's a lot of fun to watch the role reversals and see how they're pulled off.

They also found ways to give Violet and Dash their own storylines and moments without taking away from the rest of the film.

Jack-Jack is a scene stealer. There are multiple moments in which his antics made the audience laugh out loud.

I don't think the villain was as compelling as the first film's was, but that was arguably the most difficult part to live up to,.

I know Steve isn't big on animated films (I don't think he's watched much Pixar films as of late) but if he did see the first film and liked it, he'll like the second film.

I think it will go without saying that John will like this film. :)
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the first & liked it a lot...but it's not the type film I run out to see. Thought I'd wait until the weekend was over & the little kids find something else. Can't believe we don't have a John review yet...but we know he'd be with his family on father's day.

I don't understand why they give a special day to the people who are over populating the world? They're just encouraging reproduction, when you don't have to.--Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The INCREDIBLES is an movie idea that Marvel should think about before doing the new Fantastic Four reboot. Guess everyone knows that?--Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liked Deadpool 2.

Thought DP1 was better:

- more creative with playing with time
- a much better heel
- did more with less money while DP2 tried to do more with vastly more money but didn't really coming across doing more
- Wayne & Vanessa was a much more compelling pull into the story than DP+Kid+Vanessa-In-The-Frig
- and yeah, putting Vanessa in the frig is some dumbass writing by DP Movie Creative when they would have had to be completely obtuse not to know about the issue of frigging being wildly talked about
- DP1 did much better with the violence and language and 4th wall breaks

Just flat out better.

That said, this was perfectly okay and watchable, plenty of laughs here and there even if there weren't as much as DP1. The DP character is fun. Cable is solid.

The rest of the cast is pretty thankless, and way too bloated. Not enough space to develop Domino. Negasonic was utterly wasted, and the nice nod to both the actress and the LGBT community is pretty much all she's here for... it's kind of a crappy waste of something that would have had more meaning if they gave her more to do. Weasel is largely wasted, and Blind Al is entirely wasted. They gave Dopinder more, though he was more of a butt of the jokes here than in DP1.

Yeah... it's more fun in the theater than to sit back and think to much about it relative to the first.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw JURASSIC WORLD last night. I didn't really like it, mainly because of plot elements, but give it ***. The SF with dinosaurs are very good. They use robots as much as CG. So if the dino's look good who cares about the rest of the movie....right. Once again, I'm not impressed with Chris Pratt. Maybe he was CG or a robot? Or just getting old? The girl Bryce Dallas Howard is much better this time. They spend too much time with the love affair with Pratt and the raptor Blue. Ever kiss an Alligator? They don't emote very well. The film has pacing problems & doesn't move as well as most of the others. There are slow parts. The bad dino jumps around like a bad lizard and then slows down to scare a little girl in bed like a Bela Lugosi. The scene was a steal from King Kong reaching threw a hotel window....and it has the timing messed up.

There also has a side story line about human cloning & it doesn't work. Why don't they clone King Kong's DNA? I'd like that!!

Huge SPOILER alert:
My main bitch is the ending kills the series. They just release the dinosaurs on the world. Let them run around, after a volcano destroys the island used in Park #1 & World #1. The 2nd island from Park #2 isn't mentioned, but probably will after the next story falls apart. Those dino's were having sex (or something) & babys. Anyway they turn Blue, the T-Rex & the rest lose at the end of the movie. A raptor running around in the hills above Simi Valley, isn't the same thing as a mountain lion. So in real life, what do you think would happen? They would call out the national guard, and they would wip out all the dino's wil high power machine guns in a few hours. So this destroys the old storyline that worked for them. No island & no more park. I think that was what the people liked about the movie. The park thing is what grew the kids to it.

I liked the last movie because of the T-rex regaining it's place as the lead actor of the movie. In this one he is not around much, and the big fight with the fake monster dinosaur is won by Blue, who is now very smart & getting more lovable as time passes. He is stealing the T-Rex's heat, the little bastard. (Movie law states that the only one who can upstage a T-Rex is King Kong. Read the rule book, it's right there in big print.)

The big fish thing only shows up in the opening, and in a short shot at the very end. I was very impressed with the idea of him & wanted to see that developed, but he eats more people in the trailer. Also the cool scene of the T-Rex yelling at a lion in a zoo, is just want you saw in the trailer, and there is no story build around it.

Jeff Goldblum does nothing & the dialog isn't anything like the first movie 25 years ago. He might had 60 seconds of film time in this...at the beginning & the end.

I go to these movies because I like watching the dinosaurs run around. If you think the same it's worth seeing. *** is not a bad rating. But I have strong feelings that the next one will have more people talking & it will stink worse than a Indorapter's poop.---Steve Yohe
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Bricken weighed in on Jurassic World 2 -- and when he does his FAQ about a movie, that's a sign he's going to tell everyone just how bad he thought it was.

Think Batman v. Superman and Transformers 4.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/jurassic-world-fallen-kingdom-the-spoiler-faq-1827136902
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idiot Buffet......Cool.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this is my review of WESTWORLD SEASON 2. This one has a title:

WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT!!!!!!!!

Last year I watched WESTWORLD SEASON 1....mainly because I had seen the old movie a million times & I wonder what they would do with it. It kept my interest for 10 episodes & it had an ending....that I kind of understood. Everyone seemed to die, but that was Ok. So I would give it ***. I guess. It was interesting & I liked the actors & the camera work. But it ended....and I saw no reason to do another season.

But they did SEASON 2. I watched the first few episodes & I could tell they had nothing. It still had robots running around shooting each other & real people....but it was going nowhere. Really the show has more violence and kills more people (or human robots) that any show in TV history. It's a blood mess, with bodies everywhere. I stuck with it because the actors are major & it seemed interesting trying to figure out what they were going to do. Haft way threw there were two shows that were pretty good & I began to think it was going to turn into something. Then stories started jumping around in time & the robot's memories...then there was a show with a major Indian who had never been on the show before. Then there was a samurai show....and it just went all over, with like 100 characters....some were machines, some were human...& some you didn't know what they were. By the final show it was so complicated...and they would jump around in time, & storylines, without explaining the first 9 shows...you don't know what the fuck was happening. The end had the white chick becoming the black chick & then both were going to the real world to screw it up for the humans next year....so season #3. I didn't understand any of it. All I know is I hate robots. HBO really stepped on there dicks with that mess. *1/2. It was almost as bad as this review. Wish I hadn't brought up.---Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SICARIO: DAY OF THE SOLDADO is great. Fits in well with the other Taylor Sheridan films: HELL OR HIGH WATER....WIND RIVER...and SICARIO I. Not a over the top movie. Even character is the film is well written. Josh Brolin, who is having a great year, is powerful & Benicio Del Toro is super. The kid actors are very good. Has a powerful music score, that creates tension from the beginning to the end. Direction, casting & editing great. I loved the movie. **** Had me wondering what was going to happen thru out. Didn't have a recognizable feel to it.---Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANT-MAN And THE WASP is Ok, but that's about all. The laughs are forced & a lot of it wasn't funny. Too many little kids & family crap. Kind of the lower 2/3 s of the Marvel series. Doesn't have a feel of importance & no real villain to carry it. Paul Rudd isn't much, too small maybe. The only person who would believe the Ant-man science is Donny Trump. So ** 15/16. I thought the ants were great.---Steve Yohe
guren

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
Patti Cake$ I'm going to miss. By a mile or more.--Yohe

I finally saw Patti Cake$ a few days ago on the plane. The film worked for me and I really enjoyed it. The acting was uniformly excellent, the characters were generally likeable, and there were enough surprises in the formulaic plot to keep me invested in the story.

The second movie I watched on the flight was Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. I largely agree with Steve's review from last year. My one quibble with the plot revolves around the [spoiler alert] police station fire. It was a major fire that was deliberately set with an obvious suspect. And yet, the suspect was quickly cleared by a dubious alibi. That part bothered me, but otherwise it was an excellent film.

The final movie I watched (it was a long flight) was Lady Bird. This is Saoirse Ronan's film and she was wonderful. As with the other two films, the acting was really good, though I thought the mother was annoying, probably intentionally so. The movie served as a sort of love letter to Sacramento. JAG, have you seen this movie? If so, was the city accurately and fairly depicted?

On the way back, I plan to watch The Florida Project, Red Sparrow, and possibly Atomic Blonde.

glenn
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKYSCRAPER is terrible & a very poor rip off of DIE HARD....& the Rock can't stand up to the young Bruce Willis. It has the feel of a rushed B movie. The SF are bad & old fashion. I didn't see much CG in it, and it seemed to be miniatures & rear projection. Doesn't have the feel of danger & is just weak. (Must have had some CG. but I couldn't see it.) Acting is second rate. Writing is as bad as it gets. Fights scene are weak & filmed in close up. Rock moves like he actually has only one leg & looks fat. Filled with bad movie cli-che's & poorly done. I think it was the first Rock movie made for China, and the brightest skyscraper in the world is in Hong Kong. All the Chinese are good guys. *3/4. Good one to forget.---Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKYSCRAPER was made by a Chinese company, so it will be allowed to play in China during the periods when American movies can't be shown. So it's a huge advantage. Look for more film doing that.

I liked the part in ANTMAN 2 where the there is a car chase scene between a shrunk down car and bad guys in normal autos. It's a funny tribute to Bullitt & Steve McQueen....with the tiny car driving thru the same streets used in the famous Bullitt car chase.---Steve Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68, 69  Next
Page 67 of 69

Jump to: