The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Summer Box Office Thread 2008
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
corrado

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the 4th week in a row, the Dark Knight was #1 at the box office making an estimated 26 million. now has a grand total of 441. 5 million and will pass the 500 mark with ease most likely.

Dark Knight was helped by the fact that the comedy Pineapple Express opened on a Wednesday instead of the customary Friday. Pineapple would've been #1 if not for the Wednesday release date.

Next week is the Dark Knight's toughest test as Tropic Thunder and Star Wars: Clone Wars opens, although Tropic Thunder opens on Wednesday. Still I would think that Dark Knight will be at the very least, be in 3rd next weekend. But just because its out of the top spot doesn't mean it won't go back to #1. With a very weak slate of movies after this weekend, hopefully Dark Knight returns to #1.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would have lost to Pineapple Express if it opened on Friday rather than Wed.

It will likely be down in the $15M to $17M range next weekend, and then up against $10M the weekend after that. That's a level where ranking #1 is just about impossible. The lowest #1 movie this year was in the $15M range.

Star Wars is still Star Wars, and it looks to me like it's been intentionally positioned at the end of summer to try to clean up from here to Labor Day. It has cross over.

I wouldn't be surprised if it pulls in a $60M+ opening weekend. From there, even if it falls apart it will pull in $20M in its second weekend.

Tropical Thunder seems to know that, hence jumping the gun on it on Wed and like Pineapple Express looking to pull in $18M to $25M before the competition comes. I suspect that TT is looking to do better than PE's Wed-Thu numbers. It looks like a really shitty Ben Stiller movie to me, so I doubt it will have legs. But it should open okay.

Batman's key long term is how it slows it's decline, and how well it keeps pulling in Weekday numbers.

It's still comfortably ahead of Shrek-2 in its dailys and weekends. Through this weekend:

$441,541,000 TDK
$353,333,317 Shrek-2

Shrek-2 had about $88M left in the tank at this point. Batman looks a bit better than that, and doesn't face a similar theater crunch like Shrek-2 did in a couple of weeks: Shrek-2 was a late May release and had wave after wave of blockbusters coming out, each needing to bleed theaters from already released movies. We're not going to see a lot of blockbusters coming out for a while.

That said, it's a long way from Titanic. It just isn't going to get there on a true "initial release". On the other hand, they could get strategic about it. Do a normal easing out of theaters, withhold the DVD release, then hope for a shitload of Oscar nominations. and time a second opening for that. Not a massive number of theaters, but around 2000-2500.

Oscars nominations get announced in a light time of the year - late January. The big year end releases will be shaking out by then, and theaters will be opening up by then. The fact that TDK will get a re-release the weekend after the nominations are announced will likely make some studios think about moving their movies off that weekend.

I think it would end up being a lock to jump past Titanic *if* it gets up to $530M to $550M range in its current release.

John
corrado

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/tropic-thunder-82m-clone-wars-65m-friday/

Dark Knight finally, after 4 glorious weeks at the top of the box office, falls to 2nd place behind the comedy Tropic Thunder. Tropic had 26 million to DK's 16.7.

Dark Knight though did accomplish yet another milestone as it passed Star Wars to take over the 2nd highest boxoffice gross of alltime behind Titanic. Its now at 471 million and will probably pass 500 soon.

Clone Wars BTW finished in 3rd place with 15.5 million. Good as the reviews for this were very shitateous.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty stunned by how huge of a bomb Clone Wars was. Not that I mind at all.

I didn't know it got good reviews. It got a bad one out here in the LA Times, and the graders at Mojo gave it a C+ though the ratings were wildly skewed between A's (42%) and F's (33%).

TDK is staying ahead of the weekend numbers Shrek-2 was doing at this point, and are ahead with the weekday numbers.

Shrek-2 has about $62M left in the tank at this point, which was utterly amazing and why we talking about it having great legs. TDK continues to stay ahead of those legs, not in the sense of it building up a big lead (which it did) but in beating it each week and weekend.

So $530M isn't out of the realm.

I'd poing to my comment up the thread. The studio really should look at a re-release the weekend after the Oscar Nominations get announced. I really do think that would jump it past Titanic, which in June was something that wasn't conceivable by *any* movie.

What's amazing world wide is how much more it has to tap into. Just release 8/9 in Japan. France in 8/13. Germany in 8/21. Etc. It looks like it will end up #2 to Titanic worldwide as well.

John
Iron Chad

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it doesn't mean much, but People (which loves anything) slammed Clone Wars. All they mentioned was the sideplot of Stinky, the kidnapped son of Jabba the Hutt, that Anakin has to save. People says it was worse than Jar Jar Binks, which means this might be worth a look at the $1.50 theater or on cable.

"Yippy~!"
-Young Anakin

-Chad
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw Clone Wars & didn't think much of it. All action...mostly stuff we saw before and didn't add anything to the story. So much action & things blowing up...that you didn't care. **3/4--Yohe
eron

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:
I'm pretty stunned by how huge of a bomb Clone Wars was. Not that I mind at all.

It should have been a TV Movie. I don't know what George was thinking.

http://black20.com/finds/reality-where-indy-was-ok

Think you'll like this. It was made prior to Crystal Skull came out. Great ribs at Lucas.
corrado

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Knight finally reached the 500 mark today after 45 days. Its still in 3rd place at the moment and could sneak back to the top two.

Here's more of The Dark Knight's accomplishments these past 45 days:

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/dark-knight-500m-in-record-45-days/
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
So, as of today:

Domestic: $300,819,519 42.1%
+ Foreign: $413,488,249 57.9%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

= Worldwide: $714,307,768

Think John is closer.--Yohe

Might still be some International $$$ out there, but probably a very small amount. So to date it's:

$316,979,453 Domestic
$466,897,670 Foreign
$783,877,123 Worldwide

It went way over both of ours:

$700M Yohe
$725M jdw

Interesting Worldwide for 2008 movies:

$988.8M Dark Knight
$783.9M Indy 4
$628.3M Kung Fu Panda
$614.6M Hancock
$571.8M Iron Man
$520.4M Mamma Mia!
$421.4M WALL-E
$419.1M Narnia 2
$408.9M Sex and the City

Those are the $400M+ movies. Mummy was just under $380M.

WAL-E beat KFP domestically, but KFP did huge Overseas money:

Overseas
$466.9M Indy 4
$462.1M Dark Knight
$412.8M Kung Fu Panda
$386.7M Hancock
$377.3M Mamma Mia!
$277.4M Narnia 2
$275.9M Mummy 3
$256.3M Sex and the City
$253.5M Iron Man
$200.2M WALL-E

Those are the $200M movies so far this year overseas. Some of those numbers may change, but perhas not massive.

Four things that come to mind:

Kung Fu Panda was just an amazing hit both here and overseas.

In think it's time with Hancock for people to come to the understanding that Will is about as big of a star as there is in the world. I think we all know that. I'm just recalling old discussions back in 2004 when I Robot was going to open. In the four years since, he's opened all sorts of different types of movies: Hitch, The Pursuit of Happyness, I Am Legend and Hancock. They've all done well.

Mamma Mia! is a surprisingly big hit, not just doing well here, but huge overseas.

Sex and the City also was an amazing hit. One wonders if the folks involved in the Sopranos aren't going to be looking at those numbers and think about the $$$ they could get with a movie. Sex In The City *wasn't* as big of a hit as Soporanos on the tube in terms of ratings. I'm willing to bet that within five years we'll see a movie, or at least one in development.

John
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Sex and the City also was an amazing hit. One wonders if the folks involved in the Sopranos aren't going to be looking at those numbers and think about the $$$ they could get with a movie. Sex In The City *wasn't* as big of a hit as Soporanos on the tube in terms of ratings. I'm willing to bet that within five years we'll see a movie, or at least one in development. "

I'm hoping for a 2 hr DEADWOOD!---Yohe
chadlaca

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: "Deadwood" Reply with quote

When HBO/Chase pulled the plug on the show, the official word was that there would be two two-hour specials that would wrap up the storylines. Further away we get from it though, the more it seems that was simply bullshit tossed out to shut up the show's dedicated fans.

On the plus side, the cancellation of my favorite series at the time made room for the awesomeness that was "John From Cincinnati." *rolls eyes*
guren

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
"Sex and the City also was an amazing hit. One wonders if the folks involved in the Sopranos aren't going to be looking at those numbers and think about the $$$ they could get with a movie. Sex In The City *wasn't* as big of a hit as Soporanos on the tube in terms of ratings. I'm willing to bet that within five years we'll see a movie, or at least one in development. "

I'm hoping for a 2 hr DEADWOOD!---Yohe

‘Deadwood’ Movie Gets Greenlight at HBO
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NBO is looking for new projects, so why not? Doc Holiday was in Deadwood. I like them to stick that in.---Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope it's a 4+ hour two part movie. If you can get these guys together, you hate to see it just be 2 hours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: