The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yohe's Movie Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INCREDIBLES 2 gets a Ok. Don't really have any feelings about it. **15/16 Well made & the raccoon stuff I liked. After 14 years it seemed like the same old stuff. The production started in 2015, before the election. I wonder if the ambassador was supposed to be Hillary Clinton & they had to change her from a president to an ambassador. I thought I saw Obama in the press conference for a second.---Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE--FALLOUT (#6) was great. Best action movie of a weak summer. Everything worked. I had to sit thru the trailer about 10 time, and it's really funny how they cut it different than the movie. Makes events a surprise when you see the film. You can say what you want about Cruise....he's gay...a religious nut...too nice in person...but his stunt work is unbelievable. Does everything & it's him. Shows the shot of the leap where he breaks his ankle...and he jumps up & runs on it. He run in this one again....and he is the best runner in the history of leading men. Plot is very complicated but it works. That part is settled about 3/4 of the way thru the movie & then it's all action. Actually it's like 90% action & still the get the storyline, dialog, timing, and characters over. All the actors had major stuff to do. With the two women, it had me crying at the end. Very very well made film, that give you everything you wanted in a movie like that. Very little CG. It's the best M.I. movie. ****1/4. Hope it makes movie.----Steve Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing I'm hearing on the TV right now:

Tom Cruise right now is 5 years older than Wilfred Brimley when he was in Cocoon.

Brimley:
DOB: September 27, 1934
Cocoon release: June 21, 1985 (under 51)

Cruise:
DOB: July 3, 1962
MI6 release: July 27, 2018 (just over 56)

That is fucking insane.

All credit to Cruise for keeping it together.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can fake a lot of shit in movies, but he can really still run. He runs in every movie. Seems to take pride in it.--Yohe
guren

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:
Funny thing I'm hearing on the TV right now:

Tom Cruise right now is 5 years older than Wilfred Brimley when he was in Cocoon.

I read something similar on Twitter this week. I just looked it up and it was a topic on the Dan Le Batard Show. What was the other reason Wilford Brimley's name came up recently? There was a Twitter thread and the question was something like, "Name an actor or actress who looks like you would expect given their name?" Wilford Brimley looks like a Wilford Brimley to lots of people.

glenn
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching / listening to Le Batard this morning while browsing the web. :)

But when looking for photos of Brimley, there were a number of Cruise-Brimley ones... so it's a meme that seems to be going around, which Le Batard's team picked up on.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mainly for Steve, but worth watching for anyone who liked the movie:

Just Write: What Writers Should Learn From Mad Max Fury Road

John
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reading about MISSION IMPOSSIBLE #6 I read that that the character White Widow, played by Vanessa Kirby (the next big star out of England) was supposed to be the daughter of Max (played by Vanessa Redgrave) in MISSION IMPOSSIBLE #1. The latest version of MI had something the other films didn't have....a history of the past.

I didn't remember #1 very well, and I didn't remember the female villain named Max. I don't remember my review but I think I looked down on the film because of the director Brian De Palma. His early films were steals from Hitchcock and place style over story, which bugged me, but I admit he's made good films & is a major guy. I had #1 & #2 on DVD, so I decided to watch them again.

#1 is really a good movie. I liked it a lot, but I can see why I thought bad about it at the time. It was coming off the TV show & they turned it from a group movie to a Tom Cruise star thing. Like John in the last few years went over with me...I didn't like Cruise much. I thought he was in the closet & too young. (Now I think he makes good movies & I don't care about anything else.) But killing off the old TV team was too disrespectful at the time. Watching it now, it's real good. It all works...classily movie.

Redgrave's bad guy Max was the gun runner that wanted to sell the list of spys that Hunt stoled from the CIA. She is kind of a fun bad guy, who's old but hits on Cruise's Hunt. I think they let her go at the end. She doesn't die. In #6 the White Widow talks, in her speech, like she had passed. I can see why the English actress Kirby would want to be connected to Redgrave.

MI 1 is nothing like the other MI films. It's all plote & story. Hunt doesn't shoot his gun. The only people he kills are Phelps & the other French bad guy in the tunnel chase. And it's kind of their own fault.

The only real action scene is the helicopter in the tunnel with the train. I didn't like that scene the first watching. I think i thought it had too much CG & that was the early days for CG & I wasn't acceplting it then. But now I see blue screen, but no over done CG. It's a great chase that makes the movie.

The start of #1 has Hunt as just one of the guys. When everything falls apart....he seems lost with out his team...and seems to be panicing...until he meets the boss next to the fish tank. Then he becomes the Hunt we know. He plays the part with a crazy look in his eyes. I guess he had that look back then. Maybe that's why chicks thought he was sexly.

It is one of the best MI movies, & I do like the series now.

Then I watched #2 & it is the worst. Terrible movie. John Woo and all the slow motion gun fights & car stuff is terrible & really out of fashion today. It's this film that Woo turns Cruise's Hunt into a James Bond superhero spy. Really it's just Woo's normal hero from most of his action crap. Really bad film. The only thing that stands out is Thandie Newton, who became (at least with me) a star from stealing the film.

The talk about SICARIO 2 got me thinking about the first SICARIO movie. I liked #1 but didn't remember it well. I got a blue-ray copy last night ($5) & watched it. The two films plots are very close. Whatever the agency is, it's pulling off a simular mission in both films. Both have them messing with the Mexican drug gangs to start a war between themselves. Whatever the agency is, that Brolin is apart of, I think it's called the DOD, it is a secret.. run by Washington using contractors to work almost outside the law. It seems like the CIA. Brolin is a former special forces guy who has turned Del Toro into working with him. Del Toro's wife & daughter was killed by a top Mexican gang leader....and he took it personal.

In #1, the FBI agent Emily Blunt becomes part of Brolin's group, and we see thru her eyes. She & her fellow FBI agent Daniel Kaluuya think Brolin's group of Delta agents are as bad as the Mexico gangs, and she never really understands what is going on. When forced to tell her the plan, Del Toro tells her that killing the bad gang boss would save as many lifes as stopping a major epidemic. When she goes to tell her FBI bosses about Brolin being outside the law, she is told his work comes from the top....and she was on the inside, not the outside. She still doesn't get it. It turns out that she was only being used by them, because the tunnell they are going to attack starts on the USA side of the border. They are like the CIA & they need a FBI agent to pretent to run the show to make everything legal. She still doesn't get it. All she has to do is stay in the car, while they go in....but she can't do that...and she ends up almost screwing everything up. The end of #1 has her refusing to sign a paper that states the mission was legal. Del Toro has a gun to her head & it seems he is a bad guy who will shoot if she wouldn't sign. The tention builts until she says she can't. He just walks out..because he is the good guy. I'm sure the audiance is behind Emily Blunt in this movie....like she was the hero figure...but she was just the problem to the guys doing a dirty job of saving lives in Mexico. That's what the writer was trying to say. It wasn't about Blunt.

Alot of people are probaby saying that the problem with 2nd movie was leaving out the female star Emily Blunt. But the serous writer, Taylor Sheridan couldn't & keep the 2nd movie creditable. No way those professional guys would ever work with that FBI agent again.

#2 is a great movie. I loved it. Filled with great dialog. At one point, one of the heads of the CIA tells Brolin to give up the mission & clean the area. Which means killing Del Toro...a guy Brolin had turned & worked with for years. This was the dialog:

Brolin: You know how much it took to turn him.

Catherine Keener (the CIA boss): I could throw a stick over the border and hit 50 grieving fathers. Never mind, I'll get another team to do it.

Brolin: No...I'll go...otherwise he'll come back, and kill you.

They made the movie for 35 mil....it seemed like it could make some money...now it will be lucky to break even. I think it's a great film. I can only hope people keep making good movies.---Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE MAG is another movie made for China using a American (well English) Star, a Hollywood monster with a number of Chinese actor thru out. I wish the giant shark had eaten every one in the cast, because it's terrible. Yes Jason Stathan has a fight with the 70 foot shark & kills him. It's in the running for worst picture of the year. The leading lady's name is Bingbing Li. Another CG mess that cost someone 150 mil. *1/15. I don't mind a Chinese movie, but if it's crap ...it's crap. I hope it loose a ton of money.----Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John didn't review INCREDIBLES 2. That seems strange. Wonder what he is thinking?---Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68
Page 68 of 68

Jump to: