The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Golf Thread (a/k/a/ Tiger Scoreboard)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well someone has to finish last.
guren

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger withdrew from the Farmers Insurance Open today after playing just 11 holes. Since his back surgery, his last 7 tournaments have gone as follows:

- MC
- 69th (23 strokes behind the winner)
- WD
- MC
- 17th (tied for last, 26 strokes behind the winner)
- MC
- WD

Yikes.

glenn
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The back doesn't appear to be getting better, and the knees keep getting messed up as well. Don't know if he'll figure out a way to adjust his play to reduce risk to both the back and knees.

Other golfers have dealt with back issues. Not sure if they've been to the level that Tiger has.

Setting aside the Majors question, it would be pretty amazing if he's so far gone that he can't catch Snead's 82 while sitting at 79. He's less than two years removed from a stretch where he won 8 tourneys from 03/25/12 to 08/04/13. He was about as much of a lock at that point as possible.
guren

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger announced today that he is taking a break from tournament golf until he feels his game is ready. I am very interested to see if this will be a matter of weeks, or months.

Tiger Takes Leave of Absence: 'When I'm Ready, I'll Be Back'

glenn
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect he's aiming for the Masters, and possibly a traditional tune up before that.

Looks like from his statement that he's unofficially aiming for the Honda Classic (Feb 26-Mar 1), but seems to be admitting that might not be likely.

He's not qualified for the WGC at Doral.

Mar 19-22: Arnold Palmer Invitational
Mar 26-29: Texas Open
Apr 2-5: Houston Open
Apr 9-12: The Masters

He's won Bayhill/Arnold eight times, including 2012-13. That's his traditional Master tune up. I don't think he tends to do the Texas swing.

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger Woods makes shocking announcement he's had yet another back surgery

This will be interesting to watch.

We tend to think it's all been down hill since the Accident / Divorce, but we're also "just" two years removed from a stretch where he won 8 tournaments in 17 months. But the key part of that might now be "two years". He's winless since that stretch, and has been on the shelf most of it.

Even if he doesn't catch Jack in Majors, he's 3 wins from tying Sam Snead in PGA wins. When he went from 61 to 71 in less than two years, capped by destroying the field at the 2009 BMW Championship, it felt not just like Snead was in reach, but that he might do something silly like win 100. He didn't win for two and a half years after that, but eventually found his form and won those 8 in 17 months to close within 3 of Snead. Maybe 100 was insane at that point, but blowing past Snead and getting comfortably past 90 was more than reasonable.

Now you're starting to wonder if he can win 4. Not majors... but 4 tourneys to pass Snead.
guren

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, biting article by Pete Willett (Master Champ Danny's brother) on the Ryder Cup. Here is his take on what it will take for Europe to win.

Quote:
Team USA have only won five of the last 16 Ryder Cups. Four of those five victories have come on home soil. For the Americans to stand a chance of winning, they need their baying mob of imbeciles to caress their egos every step of the way. Like one of those brainless bastards from your childhood, the one that pulled down your shorts during the school’s Christmas assembly (f**k you, Paul Jennings), they only have the courage to keg you if they’re backed up by a giggling group of reprobates. Team Europe needs to shut those groupies up.

They need to silence the pudgy, basement-dwelling, irritants, stuffed on cookie dough and pissy beer, pausing between mouthfuls of hotdog so they can scream ‘Baba booey’ until their jelly faces turn red.

They need to stun the angry, unwashed, Make America Great Again swarm, desperately gripping their concealed-carry compensators and belting out a mini-erection inducing ‘mashed potato,’ hoping to impress their cousin.

They need to smash the obnoxious dads, with their shiny teeth, Lego man hair, medicated ex-wives, and resentful children. Squeezed into their cargo shorts and boating shoes, they’ll bellow ‘get in the hole’ whilst high-fiving all the other members of the Dentists’ Big Game Hunt Society.

glenn
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not very nice. :)
guren

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is incredibly exciting.

Calling all Masters fans: The last 50 final round broadcasts are now available on YouTube
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy cow... 1975:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ojtX1GrIcc

Sadly the round is deeply JIP for the leaders: Jack just wraps the 9th when the broadcast is joined.
guren

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No spoilers. I plan to watch that one tonight. ;-)

I watched 1986 last night from start to finish. I still remember where I was when I watched it live. I was at our apartment in Isla Vista (UCSB) with Jay Shapiro, one of my roommates. We had an intramural floor hockey game that night and we wanted to watch until the end before we had to go. We were yelling, "Shank! Shank!" at the TV before Seve (RIP) hit his shot on 15. He ended up hitting a hook instead of a shank. :-) We went equally nuts when Norman fanned his 5 iron on 18 into the stands. We might have been a little late to the floor hockey game, but it was worth it. We were all huge Nicklaus fans so everybody understood.

One tidbit that stood out when I re-watched it was Seve's demeanor. Even after brutal bogeys at 15 and 17, he was still in great spirits as he walked up 18 and waved and smiled to the crowd. He seemed genuinely happy. I will re-watch the Norman collapse in 1996 at some point to see the contrast.

glenn
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously, the '86 Masters is the best one to watch. I will always remember my dad and neighbors got done playing golf on that Saturday afternoon and we were all sitting around talking about who would win the Masters and my neighbor Kirk said 'watch out for Nicklaus.' We all guffawed.

Something about Nicklaus in '86...it felt like your dad was doing it.

And to think that he bogeyed 12 and had that putt on 18 come up just short. He was very close to shooting 28 on the back nine!

After that, '75 is probably the next best Masters that we have televised.

Not enough people give 2011 enough credit. It was a barrage of incredible play from so many different players and you couldn't figure out who had the beat on winning the thing and it ends up being Schwartzel, who birdied the last four to win.

But you had some great Masters from '84-'90. Crenshaw winning in '84 in a good, snug event. Strange hitting it into the drink in '85. Nicklaus in '86. Larry Mize and the chip in '87. Sandy Lyle's great stretch in '88. And then Faldo vs. Floyd and Faldo vs. Hoch.

YR
guren

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been 10 years since Tiger's last major victory. This is a very cool oral history of that win, with lots of new information (at least to me) from interviews of Tiger, Steve Williams, Rocco Mediate, and many others.

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/23747717/us-open-2018-ten-years-later-players-caddies-observers-marvel-tiger-2008-win
guren

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearly. It is incredible how relevant Tiger is again considering where he was a year ago.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 64 while:

* having that perfect putt on #1 somehow not go in

* the wonderful putt on #11 that hung on the lip

* the lip out on #14

That's 3 strokes... a freaking 61 missed when he hit all three of those putts very well.

He didn't hit a freaking fairway the entire Front 9.

That said, Koepka was excellent after the two bogeys and really didn't need to push harder coming in. You had the feel that if Tiger did pull a 51 out of the hat that Koepka would have answered with a 64 rather than a 66. Scott catching him didn't phase him.

Fun tourney to watch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: