The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Box Office Thread 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has Matthew McConaughey goofy car & Hamburger commercials hurt his movie box office?---Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He never was box office. Interstellar was Nolan.
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John brought it up in Yohe's review thread, but I'll pull it over here.

Venom set an October opening weekend record with $80.2M. With the reviews not being good overall, it remains to be seen if it has any legs.

I'm not sold that Venom will be a $300M film -- and it definitely needs legs to get to that mark. $200M appears likely, though.

A Star Is Born also had a good opening: $42.9M. That one has received more positive reviews and I've heard from several people that they liked this one.

I'm wondering if A Star Is Born might be one of those surprise films that does better than expected. $100M appears to be within its reach. If it has any legs, it could be in line for $150M, which would certainly be more than the studio would have expected.

The Nun, a September release, has done pretty well for itself with $113M so far on a $22M budget.

Crazy Rich Asians, which came out in August, has reached $169M and, if it sticks around in theaters long enough, could get to $175M.

If you are looking for domestic bombs, you look no further than the new Predator film: $50M after four weeks. Though its budget is $88M, I'm sure the studio hoped for $100M domestic and it has no chance of getting there.
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojo has a comp up for Venom.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=daily&id=venomlogan.htm

Logan pulled in $88M its opening weekend and finished at $226M. So $225M would be the bar that Venom is trying to reach.

It's $7M behind Logan's pace, though, but it appears to be a safe bet for $200M.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: