The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2018-2019 L.A. Lakers Thread (Livin' On A Prayer)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it was Portland's bench. James was --22? Was it his defense.

Great win.--Yohe
guren

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lakers' starters didn't exactly distinguish themselves very well in the first quarter of today's game. King James played 8 minutes and left with the Raps up 34-10. Kuzma played an extra couple of minutes and was replaced when it was 39-10. Yikes.
corrado

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be noted that Kawhi is sitting out tonight with a foot injury. Noted for a lot of reasons actually.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday was a good win - need to pick off some of those if we're a playoff team.

Sunday was brutal. Toronto is good, but as Corrado points out, there was no Kawhi. They still ate us up. Just horrid defense. It wasn't like Toronto was nutty hot, or making wild shots. They just got a ton of good high % shots and made a ton of them.

Chandler is interesting. He is old and not close to what he was when he was NBA All Defense. His rolling to the hoop isn't what it was, when he was even better than what McGee is flashing. But...

He is rebounding like a beast - 15 per 36 minutes. I worry about the age not letting the body do defensively what the mind sees. I don't think he can cover for all of the clueless defenders we have. But he might flip a few points here and there on defense, and give us depth.

We'll see...
JAG

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked like they were trying to get Luke fired.

Jagdip
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I've been on teams where a coach put in a bunch of plays & the team was lost & fell apart.

Maybe Magic was bitching about plays late in games. Maybe he thought the bad play late was because they weren't running plays. Sometime you make a team think and they just stand around.

I can't see them being a good defensive team, when they only have one center. I think that's why Zubac got so much time in Portland. It's time for the boy to show something & earn his money. Wagner was there that night too. There seem like a lot of good white centers in league this year. I get the feeling they are making a comeback. Someone has to guard them. Putting Kuzma & James on big guys might work a few times but not a whole season....or in the playoff. My thinking is that, if Zubac doesn't produce, they'll trade for one.....or at least look. Bring the small Williams back was a sign of the problem. McGee is now filling holes, but a shot blocker is going to also get fouls. It's a hole in the defense.

I think the new 14 second rule is going to play a big part before the season is over. It will change things late in games. Maybe that's why scoring is up? It's not a minor thing.--Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the 14 second rule a lot.
guren

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darius wrote a couple of nice pieces on Forum Blue & Gold the last two days.

10 Lakers Stats through 10 Games
The Leap Forward to the Same Spot
corrado

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Jackson calling tonight's Lakers game. Interesting if anything is brought up about the coaching rumors.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey....we got a new center.--Yohe
guren

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a fun first half. Both teams are shooting lights-out from 3.

ESPN had one of their 5-on-5 articles about the Lakers, and they brought up an interesting question. Who is the second-best player on the Lakers? The panel was all over the board with their answers.
Quote:
Kevin Pelton: JaVale McGee has been their second-best player thus far, providing badly needed rim protection and activity while finishing everything around the basket. In the long term, I still think Lonzo Ball is their second-best player, particularly given the improvement he has shown as a 3-point shooter.

Andre Snellings: At the moment, likely McGee or Rajon Rondo. Both veterans have shown the ability to be effective in their given roles. However, the Lakers need this answer to come from their pool of young guys. Rondo's success seems to come at the expense of Ball, who's a different player when Rondo is not available. Kyle Kuzma has been the most effective of the youngsters offensively, able to shoot and score effectively playing off James. Brandon Ingram's early progress was stunted by the suspension. Some part of that trio needs to pop moving forward.

Kevin Arnovitz: Ingram. He's still developing his creativity, and many of his drives are straight-line dribble attacks. But there's a whole lot of game there and a long, athletic frame to propel it -- and the Lakers could also use it to fortify their wing defense. They also need Ingram to drill the 3-point shot at the 39 percent clip he turned in last season, and to hit them in greater volume.

Chris Herring: In terms of performance? Can't believe I'm saying this, but it probably has been McGee. He has been a bright spot, playing the most minutes he has in years, on both ends of the court. (That the Lakers moved to sign Chandler wasn't an indictment of McGee as much as it was a realization that they need someone who can approximate what he does in the 20 minutes McGee takes a breather.) As the season wears on, though, I think either Ingram or Ball will become the second-best player on the team. That development would be a good one for the team long term.

Tim Bontemps: Most answers to this question would probably include Ingram, Ball or Kuzma. Mine, though, is Josh Hart. He's the team's best defender (just watch him guard bigs in the post -- they can't move him), a good 3-point shooter and a perfect fit alongside James because he doesn't need the ball in his hands. I'll take him on my team any day.

Who do you guys got?
JAG

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chandler saved their asses tonight.

Why the fuck is Rondo in at the end of that game? Luke trying to get fired.

Ingram is the 2nd best player. Itíll show more and more as the season goes on.

With Kuzmaís defense and Lonzoís offense being such negatives, Ingram is the clear 2.

Javale is a platoon player.

Jagdip
guren

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

corrado wrote:
Mark Jackson calling tonight's Lakers game. Interesting if anything is brought up about the coaching rumors.

Anthony Irwin of Silver Screen & Roll wrote about this topic after the game.

Mark Jackson unsurprised by Lakers lacking patience with Luke Walton
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of performance, it's been Javale because he's the only one performing in his role.

It should be Ingram, but he's still inconsistent, isn't shooting enough from deep... just frustrating.
JAG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took my sons tonight.

This is a cupcake stretch and they need to go 3 for 3 tomorrow against Atlanta.

Lonzo is playing like shit and Rondo doesnít fit the roster. At least not at this pace. Maybe in the playoffs.

LeBron and Ingram take turns with James getting the Lionís share as he should, but thatís in lieu of a real offense.

Having Javale or Chandler out there the entire game is beyond huge. Game-changer defensively.

Fox looks great for the Kings.

Jagdip
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: