The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yohe's Movie Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen every version of A STAR IS BORN and the 2018 version has the same problem as the others. The story. This version is an Ok woman's movie. The first 2/3 is interesting and the last 1/3 is boring and just a drag. No guy with any experience kills himself over a woman. Women come and go, just learn to live with it, and don't be a wimp. I have no respect for any guy who would do that. It's stupid. I know it's a woman's fantasy....but no. If I was an actor, the last part in the world I would take is the male lead in A STAR IS BORN.

I have no feelings about the female music stars of today, like Beyoncé etc. It's not my music. But I seem to like Lady Gaga, and she is very good in this movie. Lot of talent. I like the character and the music, except the SNL number. She & Cooper's dog own the movie.

I don't know if the Bradley Cooper stuff works. Something about his voice was off. He hangs in there singing with Gaga. The part is hard to take, and by the end I couldn't wait for him to die. I'm just glad the dog survived after Cooper give him a steak. I gave my dog a steak bone, 11 years ago and he was in the dog hospital for three days. I never did it again.

Cooper's direction was Ok, maybe good. Hard movie to make following the other three that were all big deals in their time. I tolerated the one set in Hollywood the best. Country music today is just what's left of Rock.

This is a woman's movie, that would be good for a date. I give it *** even with all the emotional crap involved. I think this movie is set up to get a lot of Oscar nominations. If it wins one, other that best actress, it's a sin.

Now we got some serous movie reviewing. Watched SON OF FRANKENSTN two nights ago. It was the last of the Boris Koloff Frankenstein movies and probably the best without James Whale directing. It has the scene where Dr. Wolf Frankenstein gives the semi-comatose monster a physical exam, complete with x-rays and blood work. I've seen it a million times but I noticed something new to me. The monster's Thyroid level was high. The Doctor says that's why the monster is so big. Koloff has acromegaly like Andre The Giant & Maurice Tillet, explaining why a normal live body got so super strong after being dead for a few months. Then Dr Frankenstein say the creature has a BP of 330/220, with a pulse of over 200. He tells Igor that that means Koloff had a super powerful heart. "WHAT THE FUCK DOC". No wonder your monster is so fucked up in every movie, your a dam quack. All they had to do to kill this monster was let him run around in the forest a little longer...until he had a stroke. That was one sick monster. He should have been on bed rest. And don't take a rectal temp!

I want to make another serous statement, that's very important: "I think 95% of the Hammer Horror movies were crap. I don't give a shit about color film. Take that England! --- Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching MSNBC yesterday, I realized....if I was a bomber...with my spelling and grammar....the FBI would catch me in two days.---Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to see it..but it came after a period of real stinkers....and someone in the Times gave it a bad review. So I skipped over it, until tonight, when I knew it was going to disappear on Thursday. BAD TIMES AT THE EL ROYALE was really good. Maybe the best so far this year. It's a Tarrantino type film with great acting. Everything works. Every actor is great. Cynthia Erivo, who I didn't know, is the center of the film, and she steals it. She should get a nomination. With it's poor box-office I don't know if anyone will see it. Violent, Strange, intimidating and unpredictable. Might be my favorite film of the year. And unlike most films these days....it has an ending. And Thor Hemsworth shows he can act. Another major film for Jeff Bridges. What a career. ****1/4 Great pacing, writing, directing, & music. Someone should go see this movie.---Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first one was great, but THE GIRL IN THE SPIDER'S WEB is terrible. Every second of it was terrible. * 1/2 Claire Foy = bad. Nothing good to say about it. Only 4 people in the theater. Really made you feel like you had been riped off. End of series.---Steve Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get:

Dragon Tattoo Trilogy Extended Edition

It's the original trilogy in the television miniseries version of the original three movies. 3 hours per book, each book split into two parts. Longer than the theatrical versions, but that split makes it easier to pace watching if one doesn't want to sit through 3 hours. Able to deal with more detail from the books than the movies.

Of course subtitled.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, in the US whoever has the rights will likely revisit the series with with the first book and do the trilogy. Either for HBO/Showtime or one of the streaming services. They will originally forget the continuation series by the new author... unless doing the trilogy draws a lot of viewers, in which case they will want to continue it.

All these properties will get rehashed to keep the rights.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(BIG SPOILER ALERT.)

I see no use in the new American studio movie. They cut the budget & looks it. The action is bad. They turn the girl into a superhero, who kicks ass on agents 4 or 5 at a time. She is smarter than the CIA, MI-6,...anyone. Whenever they have a plot holes, she just gets on the computer & it's fixed in 2 seconds. Her computer screen has a bigger part than the reporter boy friend. Of course, there is a kid smarter than anyone else in the movie. Her sister is the head of a all powerful organization named spider that resembles Spectre. Everything blows up, and their are car races every three minutes. A lot of scenes and ideas are just a rehash of the first movie. Crazy families and men who rape and over power women at every chance. And then she turns up to save them at the last moments. Car crashs look the same, but there are a lot more of them. Pace is crazy bad, and at the end she saves the world. Daniel Craig's Bond has yet to save the world, but she does it in the second movie.

I watched the GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATOO the night before. In it she says she burned her father up & killed him. Well in this one he dies off when she isn't around. Her sister after years of being raped (or something) every day....then becomes her father, who is a James Bond super villain. So she doesn't kill her father & her sister is just misunderstood. Of course the dragon tat girl is black, and the evil sister is blond and dressed in white ....you know, to help us tell the difference between the two.

There also is the gay bar from the first movie, and she picks up one gay women one after another....uses them & then goes back to her computer. In the first one there is feeling between the two girls & they seem normal together. The two are emotionally damaged people, but fit when together & understand. It this one movie, the asshole lover betrays her. In the first film, the Dragan girl, has no time for fools, or people she has no feel for. She is rude to most people.....in this movie she fucks jerks.

Plot holes are just filled by her computer or she breaks out a super powered gun (in Northern Europe) that shoots thru walls from 3 miles away.

I didn't want to talk about this movie, it made me sick, & it is a film I waited for, for years. I loved the first one. This one was a ripoff.

The new director and writer don't understand the character or what made the other films so good. It was just a money grab by a studio that cut the budget by a third. Got cheap actors....and dumped it on the market. Hollywood at it's worst.

But John got me going. I was just going the shut up and hope it disappeared. I rank it with the bad Conan movies.---Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: OUTLAW KING Reply with quote

OUTLAW KING is the follow up film to HELL OR HIGH WATER by director David Mackenzie with Chris Pine as his star. It is a film about Robert the Bruce who would drive the king of England out of Scotland in the 15th century. It takes place right after BRAVEHEART ends. It's only playing in one theater in LA and is mostly a Netflicks film. It's filmed like a epic movie & it's cinematography is as good as any movie you have seen. I watched it on TV & I will kill to see it on a big screen.

This will be my favorite film of 2018. It's my type of movie, and it has everything I go to the movies for. The director & star are high on my list of favorites. I give it ****1/4. I really like it.

It is really well made. The first 9 minutes is filmed in one take. It starts in a dark tent, moves out side in the sunlight, back into the tent, and back outside. I timed it at 9:00 & it feels, on first watch, like 20:00. It includes a sword fight with Pine fighting Prince Edward with broad swords. You feel every blow & no stuntmen are used. It goes on for 2 minutes. At the end of the one take, there is a big CG shot...that looks great. Included in it is a ton of dialogue with at least 20 actors coming & going in the shot. It's way more complicated than anything in BIRDMAN. And it all works. Never seen anything like it.

Chris Pine is great in the part. Does all kinds of stunts & never goes over the line like Erol Flynn or Chuck Heston. There is love story, that doesn't take up much of the movie, between him and the girl King Edward I ordered him to marry. The girl, Elizabeth Burgh, played by actress Florence Pugh, is unhappy about the arrangement, but is turned when Robert the Bruce doesn't, knowing she is bad spot, doesn't force anything on her & shows he is an honorable man. It worked really well for me & there isn't a lot of BS emotion. The girl is great being powerful and loyal. I think it was her first movie.

There are a lot of actors (4) from Game Of Thrones. Stanis Barratheon, plays another King in Edward I (Longshanke) & the part & actor steals every scene. Lord Commander Mormont and Blackfish are also in it. There are a few people who were in BRAVEHEART. Filmed with a mild Scottish Brogue, so it's understandable to people from Montebello.

Arron Taylor-Johnson plays Pine's muscle guy & with all the hair and accent isn't anything like the kid marine in GODZILLA. He kind of has a story-line of his own, & it fits Ok. Billy Howle plays a great Prince Edward, while being a asshole and a boy picked on by his father. (There is no gay stuff like in BRAVEHEART) His fight scenes are very good. Sam Spruell play Edwards henchman and he seems to be the major bad guy in films in the years to come.

The history is pretty good for a movie. Much better that the story in BRAVEHEART. It's filmed in some of the same cities that the real story took place. It is a serous film that they tried hard to get it right.

It's an epic and the battles are bloody and realistic. They rival the stuff in GOT. Filmed very well. It has everything and more of the major detales you would expect in a big budget movie. The world they create looks different that any of the other films of that period.

Chris Pine is really good in a part that seems like a stretch for him. And he even shows the world his dick! Something no major star has done since the 1970's. Don't blink or you'll miss it.

If anything is wrong about the film is that is slows down about 2/3 thru it, but picks up for the huge bloody battle at the end.

William Wallace is in the movie. He is a major part of the story & is alive at the start. After he is killed by the English, parts of his body shows up. It's not Mel.

This is a movie I really want to see on a big screen and I want a copy on blue-ray. ----Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FANTASIC BEASTS: THE CRIMES OF GRINDELWAID is a mess. All of it is CG. It's too bad because I liked the first one. Haft of it I didn't understand & the rest wasn't worth it. Grindelwald is same bad guy you see in every movie. I saw all the Harry Potter films & some were interesting....but very forgettable. **1/2. Some of the animals were interesting, but the film 's pace is so fast, you get no time with them. It's a bad movie, and a mess on the level, or a notch above, WESTWORLD (season 2) & GAME OF CARDS. Why is hard to explain.

I watched a movie last night on TMC called THE WHITE TOWER. It was a mountain climbing movie with Glenn Ford & Lloyd Bridges, Claude Raines. It was made in 1950, but I remember seeing it around 1953. Probably a release. When I was about 5, my weird aunt lived with us. She was very weird & she creeped me out. But he husband was a great guy. He owned a bakery, on Broadway in downtown Los Angeles. It was a major location. My mother worked for him, just to help out. She would take me & I'd play around for a few hours, and then she would drop me off at theater down the street. She ask the manager to babysit me, as I watched movies, until she got off work. I was forced to sit thru a lot of adult movies & most bored me Of course I liked action parts & I would sit waiting for that.

I find it hard to remember all the films I saw at 5 years old. I remember HIGH NOON and one night the whole family saw KING KONG & that changed my life. I saw a lot of stuff & once in a while I run across something I barely remember. I do remember this THE WHITE TOWER movie. The story didn't interest me, but I loved the stuff about Mountain Climbing. As a kid I was very much into climbing things...houses, trees, anything. I got over that....I think in Viet Nam. But today I dream about climbing mountains, but I would never do it awake. I saw this movie two or three times in theater, 2nd billed to other films I wanted to see.

I now like the movie. The cinematography is amazing in color. It was filmed climbing in the alps, with the actors cut in. Really good. The characters all have a reason for going up. Bridges is a bad guy German who is the best climber but wants to prove he is superior to the people who won the war. Glenn Ford plays an ex-American fighter piolet who was shot down in the war. who only goes because of the girl leader. You know it ends up with trouble at the top of the mountain. Glenn Ford I never really thought about as a kid, but now I think he was one of the very best actors of his time. He is very young in this & he steals the movie. He was so good and popular, that the studio didn't see a need to put him in major films. But he was great, and in real life had more sex that anyone in Hollywood. Had sex with every women in town This movie is forgotten, but I have good memories of it. ***1/3 ---Steve Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice piece on White Tower. Love reading you mix in old movies with the newer stuff hitting the theaters.

Stuff like watching Notorious with you, which I totally forgot was one of the greatest movies even made... even though Ingrid is my favorite actress ever... that's great stuff you bring to the table.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70
Page 70 of 70

Jump to: