The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2018-2019 L.A. Lakers Thread (Livin' On A Prayer)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Ball shooting. Even if he is missing. I think it keeps him in the game. It's hard with James around, but he could be the backbone of a team. I like him a lot better this year. He is more athletic, seems bigger, balance & jumping ability is better, and the league seems to respect him. Very good rebounder & defender most of the time. His head seems fine & the other player look to him to lead. I think he is coming along Ok.---Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to win these two, because the schedule gets shitty real quick...
corrado

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after their loss to the lowly Cavs, Tyson Chandler and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope are now starters, in place of javale McGee and Josh Hart.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least pulled that one out.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking bad.--Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember how long it's been since the Lakers had a decent team? Four or five years? Every year they are a joke. This year has fallen apart & it looks like James is starting his injury years...now that he is signed. We lost our respect when we lost Jerry West.---Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a good win.

The +/- were INSANE. As in almost impossible to explain. :)
JAG

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starters sucked. Bench brought them back right away in the 2nd. Zubac played at the end with starters to close it. Great win.

General thoughts:

Ingram isnít good enough to be used the way he has been with LeBron out. Heís Derrick McKey thinking heís Dominque Wilkins.

Iím fine with Kuzma and Lonzo, especially if the 3-point % keeps ticking up. How are Donovan Mitchell and Tatum doing? Jaylen Brown? Young guys ebb and flow and these two Iím fairly confident are gonna be really good.

Rondo should be back Monday and then LeBron at some point next week.

Still donít see any reason they wonít being doing the job to the Dubs in the WCF. Give me LeBron against any other West team in a 7-game series.

I wish they were more open to a move at the deadline, but theyíre going to save the cap room for the summer and assets for Anthony Davis.

And Logo left in 01. There have been 3 championships and 5 Finals since then. Címon, Yohe.

Jagdip
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAG wrote:
Iím fine with Kuzma and Lonzo, especially if the 3-point % keeps ticking up. How are Donovan Mitchell and Tatum doing? Jaylen Brown? Young guys ebb and flow and these two Iím fairly confident are gonna be really good.

22-4-4 on .425/.323/.801 Mitchell (22)
19-6-2 on .465/.309/.759 Kuzma (23)
16-6-2 on .444/.369/.846 Tatum (20)
12-4-1 on .445/.310/.657 Brown (22)
10-5-5 on .403/.333/.417 Ball (21)

I think every GM in the NBA other than Vlade would take Mitchell over the Lakers players. They also would take Tatum - he's 3 years younger than Kuz and frankly already better.

Brown is "down" this year, but other than the 3P% it's largely a function of playing 4 less minutes a game. His per 36 minutes and per 100 possessions are pretty much spot on with last year. The Celtics are trying to figure things out with Hayward back, Tatum wanting to grow, and Morris turning out to be a more useful player than they likely thought. Of course Morris is a FA at the end of the year and will want to get PAID, and the Hayward thing is likely going to need to get sorted out... hell, the Kyrie thing might need to get sorted out.

Anyway...

Ball is still likely the worst player on this list. Mitchell and Tatum are the best. Kuz remains better than we could have hoped for when we drafted him, but his shitty 3P shooting is a concern since he wasn't really a great 3P shooter in college... a worry he was over his head there last year. Brown is having a slightly disappointing year, but he's certain someone teams would happily take.
JAG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You canít be serious about Donovan ďSteve Stephon Francis MarburyĒ Mitchell?

Those shooting percentages are atrocious and heís tanked one of the preseason darlings. Címon. That hot two weeks doesnít hide the fact that you canít have him as your best or 2nd best player as a serious contender.

I could give a fuck less about the Celtics playing time woes, which any NBA observer could have predicted. Howís the Super Genius coach handling that?

I appreciate your cynicism, but the rose colored glasses for the Celtics as theyíre having a shitty season is too much. You heeling just to heel.

;)

Jagdip
guren

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAG wrote:

Those shooting percentages are atrocious and heís tanked one of the preseason darlings. Címon. That hot two weeks doesnít hide the fact that you canít have him as your best or 2nd best player as a serious contender.

With regards to Mitchell, I am probably closer to your opinion than I am to John's. That said, if the criteria is "can he be the best or second best player on a serious contender", then neither Lonzo nor Kuzma qualify, right? If I am wearing the rosiest of colored glasses, I suppose it could happen a few years down the road if Lonzo completely re-tools his shot and Kuzma improves from 3 and somehow becomes a lock-down defender. I would give each scenario less than a 20% chance of happening, though.

glenn
JAG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lakers have $35M in cap room and Anthony Davis plans for that spot.

So all Kuzma and Lonzo have to do for now is be above-average starters on a contending team.

Jagdip
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAG wrote:
Starters sucked. Bench brought them back right away in the 2nd. Zubac played at the end with starters to close it. Great win.

Agreed.

Quote:
Ingram isnít good enough to be used the way he has been with LeBron out. Heís Derrick McKey thinking heís Dominque Wilkins.

He's shooting the same low number of 3P/G that he did last year, and has dropped 100 points off his shooting %. He's had three years at it, knowing it was a critical thing in the NBA and after shooting 5.5 per 36 minutes in college. It's pretty clear that he's worked on it, but also knows that he's a shitty 3P shooter so just doesn't take them. Too many of the kids just cann't shoot the three.

Quote:
Still donít see any reason they wonít being doing the job to the Dubs in the WCF. Give me LeBron against any other West team in a 7-game series.

I worry that a good coaching staff given a series to prep and work against them will exploit all their weaknesses, and take away some of the things that the Lakers do well while forcing them into what they don't do well. It's hard sometimes to get a team to focus on that when one of the teams is just passing through town.

I like Bron having the chance to exploit other teams over a series. I can't say the same about anyone else on the team. Worse, Bron has a lot of defensive issues that are easier to take advantage of as well.

We could end up with the 8th seed, or the 4/5 seed, which means the Dubs in the 1st round out 2nd round. That means getting bounced before the WCF. I don't think we get up to the 2/3 seeds, so that means playing well enough / poor enough to get into the 6/7 seeds.

Hard to tell how the West shakes out for seeding. Example...

The Jazz have gotten their shit together enough to beat up a string of jobbers: 6 straight wins, 9-2 in their last 11. Losses were road games to the Bucks and Raptors, so it's the case to take them seriously as a bad ass team. Just that they have it enough to beat up weaker teams. 20 of their last 35 games are at home (13-8 at home / 13-13 on the road). 11 of their 15 road games are against:

Wolves, Pelicans, Grizzzzzz, Suns (2), Wizzzz, Knicks, Hawks, Bulls, Clipps, and... the Lakers.

That's a whole lotta shitty teams on the road in addition to Us.

Not saying they're going 10-1 through that. But if you only have 15 road games left, and you look at it and see those teams make up 11 of the 15 games... you feel okay.

Probably could look at a lot of the teams above the Lakers and find some positives. Of course we have an easy one - Bron comes back.

Quote:
I wish they were more open to a move at the deadline, but theyíre going to save the cap room for the summer and assets for Anthony Davis.

I don't disagree with that decision. AD is too valuable to screw this up. :)

Quote:
And Logo left in 01. There have been 3 championships and 5 Finals since then. Címon, Yohe.

Let's say 2 Titles and 4 Finals. The 2001 & 2002 teams were West's: Shaq, Kobe, Fish, Fox & Horry. The changes from West's 2000 team were:

PF: Green --> Grant --> Walker

Nothing but a revolving door there, and Horry played more minutes at PF in 2002 anyway and he was a West guy.

PG: Harper --> Fish

Fish was a West guy already playing only 2 minutes less than Harper in 2000.

SF: Rice --> Fox

Okay, so Rice is the reason West quit. The Lakers quickly traded him for Grant after Jerry quite. However, Fox was a guy West got all the way back in.

Mitch didn't bring in a single key guy in those two title teams. The closest he got was an aging past his prime Grant, and we all know that Big Shit Rob was the more important guy in the crunch.

So...

Mitch retooled the 2004 team (Payton & Malone) and then the rebuild that got us back to the Finals in 2008-2010.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAG wrote:

Hell, Kuz couldn't be the best player on a playoff team, nor the 2nd best on a serious contender.

It's not even clear if Ball can be a starter on a serious contender.

As far as the shooting %:

2P%
.570 Kuz
.483 Mitchell
.473 Ball

3P%
.333 Ball
.323 Mitchell
.309 Kuz

You're pimping him over those two guys.

You really thinking any GM's this side of Vlade would take Ball over Mitchell? Good lord... look at the cap space each takes right now as well. It's an extra $4.3M next year that can go to a free agent. Plus, no one in the NBA is yet sold that Ball is any good beyond potentially a Ricky Rubio level.

Versus Kuz, they are both scorers. They really aren't "shooters" in the modern sense. If you take out Kuz's hot start at 3P last year, he's .328 from 3P from last January through today on 524 shots. Mitchell in the same period is shooting .326 on 628 shots.

I like Kuz. I would take Mitchell to play with Bron.

Quote:
I could give a fuck less about the Celtics playing time woes, which any NBA observer could have predicted. Howís the Super Genius coach handling that?

They started 10-10 and now are 27-18. The 17-8 includes a pair of 3 game losing streaks, so inconsistent but generally in the right direction. They're going to win 50-55 games wand be playing well come the playoffs. Their path to the Finals is easier than ours.

Quote:
I appreciate your cynicism, but the rose colored glasses for the Celtics as theyíre having a shitty season is too much. You heeling just to heel.

I wouldn't say they're having a shitty season. They had a shit start, and have been flaky at times. The Dubs have as well. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's Dubs vs Celtics in the Finals. Don't think you would either. And I hate that possibility because I don't want the Celtics anywhere near the Finals and the potential of a Ring before we get our next one.

Quote:
;)

;)

I hate the Celtics as much as you. They have players I like, including their Center (though he's too expensive).
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guren wrote:
With regards to Mitchell, I am probably closer to your opinion than I am to John's.

"I don't blame nobody but myself."
-Dusty Crhodes after Ole Gurenson turns on him

:P
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 18 of 27

Jump to: