The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yohe's Movie Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I skipped SPLIT too....because I though it was a horror/slasher film. I lost interest in him a long time ago. So I agree. But I liked GRASS. And it made 80 m on a 20 m investment in the first weekend...so that was smart.---Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE is a good movie. The animation is great, character are right on, and they got the Spider-Man history right. There are a few thing I think are too much....like everything blowing up at the end. ***1/2 Has a shot at an Oscar. Is it the best Spider-Man film? I think the Marvel version is better, but I'm not really into animation. But then isn't CG...animation. The art does produce some real feeling & emotion. I had a good day.---Steve Yohe
guren

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was finally able to watch Annihilation last night on Amazon Prime. The movie was compelling from beginning to end, but... I need to watch it again. I missed the nuances of some important scenes that I had read about in various reviews.

The scenes from inside The Shimmer are beautiful to look at, even on my home system. However, I also found it distracting in a way because the plain look of the people was incongruous with the spectacular colors in the background. As the characters were walking through The Shimmer, I kept thinking they were obviously green-screened into the scene, or the filmmaker used a technique to super-saturate the background colors. Anyway, that is just a minor quibble. I am not generally a fan of science fiction, but I appreciated the Big Questions™ that Annihilation was asking.

glenn
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SERENITY is another Matthew McConaughy bomb in a long line of bombs. It's as goofy as his commercials. He looks like a movie star & he has something that seems like talent...but shit...really? I liked the first 50%. I liked the island & the big fish & the sex with Diane Lane & the cat....but there are huge holes that needed to be filled...other than Lane's. McConaughy is watchable....and he should be a movie star, but his choice of material is crazy. His cool is so out of control that it turns him into a nerd. About haft way thru it turns from being a strange film noir to being a computer movie. Kind of like West World crossed with a bad Twilight Zone...with a little Moby Dick thrown in. A nothing is real type thing. Anne Hathaway's career is in bad shape too. She is miscast as a wife who gets raped & whipped by her husband for years, and then Matthew has sex with her too. She needs to find of good movie really fast & stop cutting her hair. So **3/5...mainly because of the fish.

So I'm sure McConaughy can see his problem...but then his next movie in called THE BEACH BUM. It's a story about a rebellious stoner named Moondog who lives by his own rules. His co-star is Snoop Dog. Until he get another call by Christopher Nolan, I wouldn't invest any $ on Matthew's movies.--Steve Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is pretty amazing how many bombs he's had.

Hathaway is doing okay. Ocean's 8 was a hit, and not crazy expensive. Wouldn't be surprised if we see an Ocean's 9 at some point. The Intern did well given the budget. Alice was a bomb, but Depp got blamed for that and it was probably just a cash grab on her part.

Her next movie has some potential to be the May "chick flick" counter programing all the male action movies. Needs to be good to be a hit, but the source material is actually pretty good and flipping it to being women could be fun. She has another one going into production that looks like Oscar bait if it's decent.

She had a kid in 2016, so likely scaled back things just a bit. She's at the age where she's transitioning in the characters she will play. My guess that's one of the reasons for the Oscar bait movie opposite Ruffalo.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to like her a lot, but I think she's lost her box office appeal in the last few years. Her agent is keeping her away from films that prove or disapove that. They are putting her in films with a lot of other actress or with male stars who will take the blame. Maybe her draw was her youth-full look. She isn't an over the top physical great looker. Cutting her hair, damaged her look. To me, she is a Audrey Hepburn type, but she may end up as Kathern Ross. She should be playing smart classy parts & not sluts having sex with Matthew McConaughy. She seems to be playing victims a lot. You don't want to turn into a actress who fills roles for directors, you want to be the star they need for their movie.

All actresses have this problem at some point. I do think she'll turn this around in some form. She has friends and contacts. Maybe she'll find a role that turn things around....or she'll end up on TV. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong. We'll see.--Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see that she every has been a draw. She's been in movies that have drawn, rather than being the person drawing. That's kind of been her whole career all the way back to being a kid in The Princess Diaries.

She's carver an interesting path. She's been willing to work potential blockbusters, like Batman and Alice in Wonderland. She's taken indy type movies, some which break big (Brokeback Mountain) and some that don't (Colossal).

She's had only two productions so far since having her kid. One was a very good hit given the budget - Ocean's 8. The other is this movie, which is a bomb and really poorly reviewed. It's also a cheap movie despite the star power, so I don't think anyone takes much of a hit over it other than Matt and the director/writer.

Her three movies leading into having the kid were a hit given the budget (The Intern), a bomb given the big budget (the Alice sequel), and a small budget quirky movie that bombed but was well received by critics (Colossal). Those three movies pretty well sum up her post-Princess career - some small hits, willingness to do big budget, and willingness to still do small quicky movies.

The real test for her are The Hustle coming up (to see her chick-flick buddy movie potential) along with the Ruffalo movie (Oscar bait).
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Her big movie was THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA & I liked it with her playing off of Meryl Streep. She was the lead. I think it's a major film because of Streep.

I also liked LOVE & OTHER DRUGS. Underrated.

THE INTERN was all De Niro.

OCEAN'S EIGHT she played a doppy actress & the others got the cool parts. I remember it as kind of a cameo.

Her next is THE HUSTLE & it a comical con man, woman movie. A remake switching in women for old male stars. I don't see much hope in it & I don't think she does comedy well. Rebe Wilson may have to carry the movie & it doesn't seem like much. Could bomb.

THE WITCHES seems like a big deal. Has Zemeckis directing. She is the only actor announced. She is playing a witch. Could it be a supporting role to someone not signed. It says witches? Is this a movie based on the Wizard of OZ witches..that was a huge stage hit??? Producers are Cuaron & del Toro. Does she speak Spanish? This seem like the film that with prove my ideas or not.

Your post might be right, that she never really was major. We'll see.---Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72
Page 72 of 72

Jump to: