The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vice: Dark Side of the Ring *SPOILERS*

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Vice: Dark Side of the Ring *SPOILERS* Reply with quote

Vice TV is doing a 6-part series on pro wrestling featuring tragic and controversial stories. They'll be doing an episode of the following subjects:

Randy Savage and Miss Elizabeth's relationship
Gino Hernandez's death
The Von Erichs and their tragendies.
The Montreal Screwjob
Bruiser Brody's death
The Fabulous Moolah

***SPOILERS***

On Demand has the Brody Episode up and I watched it. One thing that caught my attention was listening to Jim Cornette's podcast and how he had watched most of the episodes and Cornette stated that there is a big reveal in each episode that even he did not know about.

I remember when Brody was murdered I thought it was a work. I had then heard Gonzalez murdered him because Brody refused to job to him. Then there was stuff about Gonzalez being in a state of disarray due to his daughter drowning a month before. And in recent years, there was talks of Brody stiffing the hell out of Gonzalez at Madison Square Garden years before and Gonzalez wanting to get revenge.

In this episode, the big reveal was the speculation that Brody was looking to own his own territory and determined that Puerto Rico was his best bet. And that Brody was going to buy Gorilla Monsoon's majority shares in Puerto Rico. That mean that Gonzalez would be out as booker as Brody and Gonzalez did not like each other. It also would put Carlos Colon's future in doubt, although my guess is that Brody would keep Colon there because he was a great draw. But, Colon's power with the company would diminish greatly.

It's always tough to tell with these documentaries in wrestling because there are wrestlers involved and they love to work people. And in the Brody episode they are mainly talking to Tony Atlas, Dutch Mantell and Abdullah.

I got the feeling that Atlas was working us a little bit, but was keeping himself in check because he understood his story had to match Mantell's. So, it was more of embellishment than outright lies. Mantell has always come across as a guy that knows when to work somebody and when to shoot and he came across as very honest here. Abby was generally his full of shit-self here.

For instance, Atlas claims that after the stabbing that Abby called a meeting in a hotel. Mantell backs up this claim, but Abby refutes it. And then Abby claims he just by coincidence ran into Brody's wife and child at the airport when it was clear that he purposely met them there. The puzzling thing is I'm still not sure why Abby feels the need to work the viewer on those rather inconsequential subjects.

The doc does a lot of dramatization and does a good job of it. The person portraying Brody...looks like Brody. The person portraying Mantell, looks like Mantell. The same with the person portraying Abby. They do blur the re-enactments, presumably to make the actors portraying the wrestlers look more believable. But, it also has another effect...the feeling of the hazy blur that situation had to be for Atlas and Mantell. Something so unbelievable that it comes off more like a bad dream than something you saw with your own eyes. And that is very palpable for the viewer to watch.

They interviewed Brody's wife and son. His son, looks just like Brody. They had a pic of Brody in high school before he had the beard and long hair and his son's resemblance was even more uncanny. And that's what is so difficult for me to have watched the documentary, the impact that this had on Brody's son and wife.

Brody was 42 years old when this happened. He was incredibly dedicated to his family when his son was born. My guess is that if this never happened, he works PR and Japan for another 18 months and then makes another 18 month run with the WWF before jobbing to Hogan and semi-retires at 45.

As far as Colon goes, I'm still not sure what his part in the murder was, but you can't help but feel he either knew about it or was pushing Gonzalez into doing so. I don't think Gonzalez was given a 'pumpkinhead' by Brody at MSG as Atlas describes and I really don't believe Atlas' claim that Gonzalez swore revenge on Brody after that MSG match.

But, i do believe that Brody likely stiffed the hell out of Gonzalez, likely killed Gonzalez's push and then Brody was going to buy out Puerto Rico from Monsoon and Gonzales saw that as an end to his career from a man he hated. At least it seems like the most plausible motive I have heard to date.

I guess the question would become if Moonsoon would sell. Moosoon was 51 years old at that time. He was college educated and by all accounts a smart business man. He was also entrenched with his duties in the WWF at that time. He had sold off his shares in Titan sports to Vince years before.

However, his sale to Vince came with him being an employee for life and it was no-brainer for him to sell it. And Puerto Rico was a hot territory at the time. While Vince was continuing to expand, I don't think he could ever really get into the Puerto Rico market successfully.

But, maybe Monsoon saw the landscape of wrestling changing and wanted to remove himself from the violence and gore of Puerto Rico matches. And maybe Brody gave him an offer he couldn't refuse given how hot the territory was and Brody was one of the big stars in the territory.

That's really the strength of the documentary...it presented a new theory that kept the viewer wondering why this all happened.

YR
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll watch it tonight. I know one thing, believing anything Tony Atlas has to say is a mistake.

So are they going to do DNA tests on Gino Hernandez & Paul Boesch's family?

Yohe
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
I'll watch it tonight. I know one thing, believing anything Tony Atlas has to say is a mistake.

So are they going to do DNA tests on Gino Hernandez & Paul Boesch's family?

Yohe

You'd have to watch it to get what I'm saying. There are periods of time where you can see the wheels turning in Tony's head and him wanting to work people, but also knowing that Mantell had to corroborate it. The Abby stuff is weird. I do believe that he basically called a meeting in a hotel room. Mantell confirms it and it would make sense...you just had a booker murder one of your stars in the locker room and you own 5% of the company....why wouldn't you at least call a meeting? Not sure why Abby felt the need to lie about it.

It's a gutwrenching doc because Brody's son, Geoff, looks so much like him and you think about the shit he and his mother went thru.

As far as Gino goes, Gary Hart wrote in his book that Gino's real father was a hispanic wrestler that lived in NY. I can't remember the guy's name. And that Gino took the surnname of Wolfe from his stepfather.

Meltzer always left Gino's death as an OD which is certainly plausible. But, I think they get into the possibility of it not being the case as supposedly there was no drugs found in the apartment and the door was not locked, something Gino always did due to his paranoia. And Gino was reportedly running with a real bad crowd at the time.

I'd have to see more evidence to convince me that it was not an overdose.

But, I am probably more interested in David Von Erich's death...something that Meltzer always wrote as an OD and the boys working people to keep David's legacy in stake. The timeline of David leaving to go to Japan and then dying over there never made a lot of sense as to it being an O.D. Hopefully they'll expand more into it.

YR
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the concept of Brody owning his own territory a stretch. Also that whatever Gorilla owned of the PR promotion would make a big enough difference in control of the territory.

If the big reveal of the DVE episode is that he *didn't* die of an OD, then the credibility of the entire series can be flushed down the toilet. That's because someone on the tour copped to Meltzer about the drug related "clean up efforts" after DVE overdosed.

I like listening to Corny a couple of times a year. But I also reach a point where I need to wander away for six months because Jimbo does really love his wrestling conspiracy theories / Tall Tales. Flat out a fantastic storyteller, and a load of fun to listen to. But... even for the out there world of pro wrestling, Jim does love tall tales other wrestlers have told.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell a wrestler, "your going on TV if you got a story"...they'll have a story.

I was thinking this Vice TV was the show on HBO. I checked "on demand" & it's not there. This is a different show?--Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched it off the WON site. Nothing new. Atlas & Mantel told the story in the sheets & in books. I believe both guys, but all of it has been around for 30 years. The first 10 minutes of the show is terrible.--Yohe
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading Gary Hart's book it didn't seem like a stretch that Brody would want his own territory. Goodish seemed insistent on getting in on the booking according to Hart...problem was that Goodish was a lousy booker.

And then there was some political wrestling between Goodish and promoters for the book.

And at the very least, it's more reasonable as to Gonzalez's motive. I don't believe the motive was because Goodish wouldn't job to him. Nor do I buy into him being so distraught over his daughter dying. And I can't reconcile that it was some sort of retribution for Goodish stiffing him years ago.

This was an angry and planned attack. Something that had to build an incredible amount of hatred over time and it was likely planned because he had to get a knife. To me, the theory that Brody was going to buy the territory and kick Gonzalez out goes more in line with a possible motive.

Although going back to Hart...you would think he would have mentioned Frank buying the territory since he was Goodish's business manager.

Tonight is the story of Randy and Liz. I'll be interested in it if they can delve more into Liz's life because there's never been much information on her.

YR
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
Tell a wrestler, "your going on TV if you got a story"...they'll have a story.

I was thinking this Vice TV was the show on HBO. I checked "on demand" & it's not there. This is a different show?--Yohe

I believe the Vice channel is called 'Viceland.'

I went On Demand and searched 'Dark Side of the Ring' and found it there.

YR
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't all that impressed with the Randy and Liz episode.

There was no big reveals (although Cornette admitted he did not get to watch this episode). There was also very little revealing about Liz or even Randy for that matter.

The entire doc episode seemed rushed. Too much filler and then they would rush thru the important parts. Plus, between Prichard, Bischoff and Linda Hogan being interviewed...not the most credible or respectable people being interviewed.

Looks like next week is the Montreal screwjob.

YR
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montreal Screwjob episode was...

Meh.

The big reveal was something I already knew about...the claim that Jim Cornette came up with the idea.

They did have Russo and he claimed he did as well.

The only doubts I have about Cornette's story is that he's talked about in the past and the story was that he flippantly said they should just doublecross Bret. Now, Corny is saying that he gave the idea in great detail to Vince citing the Ed 'Strangler' Lewis doublecross.

I have a hard time believing Russo would know what a doublecross was as it's an old school wrestling term. Corny would certainly know the history and the other part that is tough to believe about Russo's story is...

It's Vince Russo telling the story.

But other than that, this episode had the same issues as the Randy and Liz episode...too much filler and then they ended up rushing things to fit the episode within an hour timeframe.

They did go into the conspiracy theory about the Screwjob with Scott Hall showing why he thinks it was a work. To his credit, he makes some good points. But, I think that the idea that Vince would have never allowed this to be shown lacks credibility since Bret had the 'Wrestling With Shadows' crew filming there and Vince was out near the ring and not commanding the production truck and telling the cameramen what to do.

Sean Oliver has always questioned the credibility of the Montreal Screwjob as saying 'everybody won' in that scenario. But, I never bought into that as Bret had a contract of $1 mill/year for 20-years and ended up getting roughly $3-4 million/year for 3 years. I understand a bird in hand is worth two in the bush, but Bret still lost out on nearly $10 million. And Vince only 'won' because WCW screwed it up. they had the WWF dead-to-rights after the Montreal Screwjob and couldn't figure out how to finish Vince off.

And that probably makes a more interesting story than anything else.

YR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Wrestling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: