The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2018-2019 L.A. Lakers Thread (Livin' On A Prayer)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27

View previous topic :: View next topic  
corrado

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well a surprise as they somehow get #4. One below the Knicks at #3.

The Pelicans won the Zion sweepstakes btw. And its still unclear if Davis is going to stay. even with Zion headed his way.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first started watching the NBA, the draft had a thing called a territorial draft pick. Every team had a surrounding territory, and they could draft the star player coming out of collage in their territory. So the local collage player always went to the local NBA team. This was like 1962, and it ended right after that. We may have gotten Walt Hazzard that way. I think they dropped the rule because of UCLA. If they had kept it, do you realize the stuff the Lakers could have done?--Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first game I ever went to was the Laker vs the NY Nicks. They used to have High School player play games before the NBA game & cheap tickets were sold to kids from that school. So my Dad took me & my brother to the Sports Arena & we sat in a special section for our school (Cantwell High). I was in my first year of high school, maybe 1963.

The Nicks, at the time & now, we the shits of the league....just as they are now. The game was kind of broken open in the 2nd QT, and the Lakers controlled it. They led by like 10 to 12 points the whole game. Kind of a weak game. Then with like 6 minutes left in the 4th QT, a huge fight broke out. It started all together & moved out to three areas all over the court. They were under both basket & in the center court, away from the benches. It lasted a few minutes, and then there was the normal arguments like in all fights. Maybe three or four guys got kicked out. They only left enough players to finish the game that the Nicks were going to lose anyway.

It was no big deal. Got coverage in the paper & was treated as kind of a joke. The next game had Chick Hern telling jokes. Don Nelson was involved & Chick spent the night calling him Battling Nelson. Everyone was worried that Jerry West would break his nose...again.

In some towns, they used a long bench, instead of the chairs of today. The coach got upset with a ref in a TV game...and picked up the big bench and threw it across the floor at the referee. Then just had a shit fit. No big deal...happened all the time. I think the coach was Sabu.

Chick Hern was a god then. Only West & Baylor had more power. Everyone loved him. He did stuff you can't believe today. He was the only announcer. If something didn't happen the way he liked or the camera was in the wrong position...he'd yell at the director on TV. He was feared as much as loved, and everything was better because of it. He did radio & TV together...and he talked over everything. Described every play. Everyone in LA grew up learning the game thru Chick's eyes (& it wasn't always the game I learn in coaching class). He controlled everything & knew everyone in the league.

This was when he was doing the interviews....and he was the best interviewer I've every known. He could interview the janitor or the locker room attendant and make it interesting. They gave him his own TV show called "BOWLING FOR DOLLARS" & the whole show was just him interviewing comman contestants on the show. He'd talk to each person, talking about their lives & family...making them feel special...and then they would roll the ball & if it was a strike...you won $20 or something unimportant. It was a huge hit at 7:30 every night on Ch 5 for years.

At the games, he interview, before & after the game, players. Not just Lakers.. After the game, he would interview the best player in the game, no matter which side the guys were on. He's interview Oscar, Havlicek, Russell, Wilt, anyone. Not like today, when it's all PR about the home team. The stars of the NBA drew as much as the home team. Everyone was into the game, not home town BS.

He got upset when the Lakers played bad. He get all kinds of upset. Hold nothing back. But he was always fair with other teams players & the LA fans were the best in the NBA. Everything was class back then. He never blamed a referee for a loss. Never.

Once at the neutral game in LV, he called a game when he was sick. You could hear him throwing up in a bag or trash can. He never missed a game.

He was obsessed with the Lakers. He made every game, every play, important. He didn't have a color guy...it was just him and the fans. He talked directly to the fans at home. When you came to a game, everyone waved at him in his box and he would wave back & recognize everyone. I used to sit near the press box & he was great to everyone....unless you mess up.

He was also 6' 5" tall, which surprised.

He would says some stuff that would get him in trouble today. He'd say the Lakers are "playing like the sisters of mercy today". Or beating them is like "beating my wife". He did his Ice Box thing, telling the fans the game was over & they could turn to another show. "It's over here!"

I remember thinking & says that the Lakers couldn't exist without Chick. I could imagine it serving without him. Maybe it hasn't. Glad Chick isn't around now to see it fall apart.--Steve Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Territorial picks after the 1965 draft. Bradley and Goodrich were among the last territorial picks that year:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_territorial_pick

Just a wild ass guess, but it's likely Alcindor going to UCLA is what caused the NBA to revamp the draft. He committed to UCLA on May 4, 1965, which was two days before the 1965 draft. It was clear that if there still were territorial picks in 1969, Lew would be a Laker.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...I think I remember that being the talk at the time.--Yohe
corrado

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic Johnson went on First Take today. It went as well as you would think:

https://thebiglead.com/2019/05/20/magic-johnson-rob-pelinka-first-take/

https://www.businessinsider.com/magic-johnson-rob-pelinka-lakers-first-take-2019-5

This is quite the opposite from Magic's twitter persona as of late. This adds more levels to the current chaos.

I do wonder how Kobe feels about his guy being scorched by Magic.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic is making himself look bad. Cheap.

So now we need another GM. They got this one labeled as someone you can't trust, and it's all over Tv that they can't sign FA no matter how much money they have. And James just gets older.

It would be take a lot of pressure off, if James asked to be traded to a contender. If we could pick up three player, who are for real, it would be better for us. No more draft picks.

We would be a better team if somehow we dumped James for Williams, Russell, Randle, Lopez, and the two guys in Cleveland. The guys we had, but gave up to be where we are now. Seems we need a better plan than just stealing other teams players.

And dump the GM, which will happen at some time anyway. His reputation is gone...really might not have anything to do him personally. When you hirer an agent to be GM, shouldn't you be able to understand that all the other agents hate him? The guys who control the players?--Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They didn't make a mistake in dumping Clarkson and Nance.

Clarkson is making $13M this year and next season. He's not worth that. Still a terrible defensive player, he doesn't create for others and bricked up a .324 clip from 3 this year. He just isn't that good, and is one of a long line of Lakers "finds" who flashed something in their rookie year and then never grew from there.

Nance signed a four year extension that pays him $11M a year. The Cavs were a bit smart in semi frontloading it... but it's still a lot of money for a *bench* player who really isn't that great. He's a nice guy to have on the bench when (i) the bench contains other guys who have the offense, and (ii) Nance is cheap. Those offensive guys off the bench are going to make money (like Crawford did with the Clippers), and you need your Nance guys to be cheap. $11M isn't cheap.

That's one of the problem with all these Kids who aren't really good (Clarkson) or are marginal (Nance) - after 4 years you've got to pay them, especially if you've spent 4 year publicly pimping them because you've got nothing else to sell about your shitty team other than "Look At All Theses Kids!" and over sell them.

So that deal was fine. It moved one mediocre player with over priced contract off the books (Clarkson), and moved a marginal player off the roster before they got suckered into paying too much for him (Nance).

The Russell trade was good. You reference Lopez without noting that we never would have gotten Lopez without trading Russell for him. We also got Kuzma in the deal, and dumped Mosgov's deal. So it was this:

Russell for Lopez + One Year of Lopez's Contract + Chance to resign Lopez Cheap + Kuzma + Dumping *3* Years of Mozgov's Horrible Contract + Avoiding Russell's Contract Extension

That's a ton of shit the Lakers got for moving Russell.

That last one is important. If Russell did here this season what he did in Brooklyn, and you wanted to keep him, the max is $158.1M for 5 years. That doesn't mean that they would have to pay him that. But some other team could offer him up to $117.2M over 4 seasons in a RFA offer, and then the Lakers would have to make a tough call.

Is Russell worth $30M a year? $20M a year? I don't think $30M to where the Lakers want to go (winning titles). At $20M... that's a lot for a guy you don't really trust.

Mix in that regardless of what you would pay him, you wouldn't have Lopez (and a chance to resign him before this season) or Kuzma, and you would be stuck with three years of Mozgov's contract which would have screwed up your flexibility this season, last season, and next season.

It's nice to see what Russell is doing, but this was a good deal. Had to be done give how screwed up that Mozgov deal was, and the desire to draft a different point guard.

Randle averaged 21-9-3 for a team that lost more games than the screwed up Lakers this season. He's going to opt-out of his contract, and we're going to once again see how much *good* teams value him.

The reality is that he's the same player he was here - despite the points he is a limited offensive player who is a bad defensive player, the type of guy who often gets overpaid for early flash before teams realize he's clogging up the cap while not really helping them win a lot of games.

I don't have a problem letting him go.

I like Williams. Fun player. He's not that expensive in the $7M to $8M range. I do think it's worth noting that three straight playoff teams (Hawks, Raptors and Rockets) thought they could do fine without him and actually got better the season he left:

ATL: 38-44 --> 60-22
TOR: 49-33 --> 56-26
HOU: 55-27 --> 65-17

Obviously Williams wasn't the only reason. I'm also not going to point to the Clippers getting *worse* his first year there, because there was a lot of other things that were going on with the team that year. But...

He works better with marginal teams like the current Clippers or poor teams like the Lakers (when he was with them) than with really good teams.

Would he have been fun to have on the Lakers this season with our mediocre bench? Sure. Is it possible that Josh Hart is the latest in the long line of our "draft steals" who maybe isn't all that great. Maybe, though I think he has a chance to be a good bench player on a good team, especially if he has a cheap contract.

I'm okay with this trade.

Lopez wanted to stay and was willing to sign cheap. We could have signed him to the Lance Stephenson contract. This was a major fuck up. Hell, we might have been able to sign McGee as a back up as well, if he was willing to come and back up for that same $2.3M.

I don't think we lost are shit at the time about not signing Lopez. We were more losing our shit over signing Rondo and Lance and Beasley (and perhaps a little over McGee). I wasn't as clued in about how much of a discount Lopez would take to stay. Yeah, this was a fuck up.

There's a lot to shit on the Lakers about. I don't think *most* of these transactions fit in that category. Some of these were actually quite good.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just saying IF we had a lot of those players and no James...we would have a better team & a brighter future. James could very well pull a Kobe next year. It doesn't look good.
corrado

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26821790/lakers-20-failed-reboot-nba-crown-jewel

quite the read.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's impossible to overstate just what a dumpter fire this team is. Even if you've read the other trainwreck pieces, you need to read this one as well. As bad as you think it is... it's actually worse.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27
Page 27 of 27

Jump to: